My OME lift kit install [pics] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Creaky leaf springs can usually be fixed by injecting some grease between the leafs through the yellow poly spacers and servicing your shackles if they're the greasable variety. Is the backend of your rig leaning to one side? I wonder if the PO removed the rubber centering bushing to correct the lean that some folks like myself see after installing OME springs.

That said, it definitely looks like the leafs are shifting around on you too much. This could be happening because one side has the ~ 1/4" metal + rubber pad and the other doesn't. Your rear springs will push together or pull apart when your vehicle turns at speed and the center of gravity changes. Maybe one side has settled askew to compensate for the different height.

You should check to see if the center pin and nut that keeps the spring pack tight is loose. It wouldn't hurt to remove the ubolts and spring plate and re-torque everything just to see if the springs will become reoriented.

I believe they are greasable. It leans slightly to the left, which I thought could be from the tire being on the left of the rack, but I wonder if replacing that pad would straighten it out.

I was thinking the center pin and nut could be part of the issue too. I'm going to take a better look tomorrow during the day. Thinking I'll replace the pads on both sides since the right looks pretty worn. Thanks for the assistance!

@Zanimal - Here's a shot of my driver's side rear springs:

BdHMQ5I.jpg

@lechnito Thanks for sending the image over.
I think I found part of the problem. Could you let me know if your center pin looks like this? The pins on both the left and the right are like this. Going to dive in hopefully later.

IMG_20190129_105843.jpg

IMG_20190129_110034.jpg

The original installer of the OME probably didn't know about the centering bushings which are required to replace the rubber isolators. He may have kept one to compensate for the Cruiser lean. The rear springs should be ordered as an "A" spring on the left and a "B" spring on the right. If the are both A's or B's the lean is common.

Remove the isolators and the hat channels and put it all back together with centering bushings from Cruiser Outfittters. You might need shorter U bolts. Kurt will have them plus any new hardware or bushings you need to do it right.

Cool to see some pictures of the install. Fortunately my shackles (replaced the old corroded factory ones a few years ago) are still in great shape, but an OME lift is high on the priority list for me since my OEM suspension with Add-A-Leafs rides hard as a brick. To preserve the smoothness of the new springs I plan to break down the new spring packs and put delrin leaf spring liners between all the leafs. It'll make them a bit thicker overall, but will help a great deal with allowing the springs to flex like they should and keep them from squeaking and popping over time.

@60Works in the shot above of the underside of the spring seat, is that channel stock to protect the center pin nut?

Your spring pin looks off-centered and I think @60Works has the right idea with the spring pin bushing from cruiser outfitters.

Looks like I kept my rubber isolators when I installed the ubolt flip kit:

ktyH0J7.jpg

QDfZPZ2.jpg

Good reminder that I need to trim down the spring pin before I go wheeling again.

@60Works in the shot above of the underside of the spring seat, is that channel stock to protect the center pin nut?

I surmise that it's there to stiffen the plate. The early 60's don't have it. On one of my installs on a 60 the plate warped when torquing the U bolts. I didn't even get close to spec. I replaced them with 62 plates with the channel and it didn't warp. The 62 plates have larger diameter shock pins, necessitating different bushings.

Btw, this is the Cruiser Outfitter bushing.... I used them in my install of the Tough Dog lift kit too. Leaf pack is the same width as stock but different height so I felt I should not use the stock hat and isolators.

5C9D321A-B7D0-453B-B30A-118605C37775.jpeg

6EA8BB20-C8EA-415B-8BFA-E3964744C3A2.jpeg

That is what a 60 Series should have looked like straight from the factory. Perfect!

The original installer of the OME probably didn't know about the centering bushings which are required to replace the rubber isolators. He may have kept one to compensate for the Cruiser lean. The rear springs should be ordered as an "A" spring on the left and a "B" spring on the right. If the are both A's or B's the lean is common.

Remove the isolators and the hat channels and put it all back together with centering bushings from Cruiser Outfittters. You might need shorter U bolts. Kurt will have them plus any new hardware or bushings you need to do it right.

That makes sense, thank you! I'll check out Cruiser Outfitters and SOR, then dive into it. I need to clean the undercarriage then get it dirty again

Your spring pin looks off-centered and I think @60Works has the right idea with the spring pin bushing from cruiser outfitters.

ktyH0J7.jpg

QDfZPZ2.jpg

Good reminder that I need to trim down the spring pin before I go wheeling again.

Thanks for these and the info, appreciate it. The ubolt flip kit looks good

ktyH0J7.jpg

QDfZPZ2.jpg

Hey, which ubolt flip kit have you got? Looks good. J

@Ojaicruiser - The ubolts I got from OME and from 4plus were too long and I had to cut 'em down by 2 - 3". The heavy rear spring pack really isn't that much taller than the original springs.

standard units from OME should be more than sufficient length in length.
I’ve been trying to figure out how to depress the spring enough to bolt them to the axle and align it with the shackles and pins. Did anyone else have this issue with mounting them? My old ones were so clapped out they look longer than my new ones since the arch is gone in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom