My Newly-Vented Hood (20 photos!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found a set of GTP louvers at the local Pick N Pull. Any chance the template is still floating around or who had it last? I'd like to borrow it to do my vent install. Thanks.....

Sorry. When I made the template it was just out of butcher paper. I know it went to at least four people then I'm sure the paper was used as kindling at that point.

Hey Rob,

Lookin good. Don't worry about the fuse box, doesn't it have a cover on it anyway? Mine is good. Make sure to prime and paint the bare metal if you haven't already. Anyway, it's one of the best mods I've done beside the 12" pusher fan to cool the AC in drivethru's.
Best to you, :beer:

Steve

Agreed. I've never had an issue with water intrusion with my vents. And yes, the pusher fan keepsmy S/C cool in the drivethrough too! :cheers:

Nice writeup by the way...

Sorry. When I made the template it was just out of butcher paper. I know it went to at least four people then I'm sure the paper was used as kindling at that point.

The instructions look pretty straight forward but thought I'd ask if the template was still floating around. Thanks for responding.....

The instructions look pretty straight forward but thought I'd ask if the template was still floating around. Thanks for responding.....

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby would let you look and or measure the locations from their hood...

The hood vents look great, my 80 is still off the road at the moment,, this is one of my planned mods to compliment the leccy fans when fitted. Great write up, thanks for taking the time to do it.

regards

Dave

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430696455.812268.jpg
i clipped off the center post since it's not threaded. Did anyone else?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430696543.055665.jpg

And will open up the bottom of this hole so I can use the hose / grommet idea with washers.

Is double sided tape strong enough without screwing thru the hood at all?

Is double sided tape strong enough without screwing thru the hood at all?[/QUOTE]

Yes.... I used a VHB two-sided product and mine has stayed perfectly.

here's an 11 x 17" sheet with my cutout shape I used.

the long edge is roughly the edge of my hood.

distance to windshield edge of hood to center of hole closest to the drivers seat is 13 3/16" and 4 5/8" to DS wheel edge of hood.

middle hole to edge of hood is 4 3/8"

hole closest to grill is 5 7/16" to edge.

Yours might vary.
as my wife said, "just cut the F'in hole already!"

Attachments

• lou.pdf
    270.4 KB · Views: 151
Does anyone know where the template is now?? I'd like to do this to my rig...

template is long gone..that's why I posted the PDF.
you'd still have to lay out, tape, and measure a bunch anyways, you might as well just use the louvers you are installing and that way you really know that it all matches in the end.

template is long gone..that's why I posted the PDF.
you'd still have to lay out, tape, and measure a bunch anyways, you might as well just use the louvers you are installing and that way you really know that it all matches in the end.

I guess I missed the PDF... I have a set of the Pontiac louvers like the OP used. does your PDF work with those louvers???

I have a set of 3 vents I need to install but I am trying to find data on where they should be placed to maximize venting when slow crawling or standing still? I am not concerned with cooling at freeway speeds. If anyone has some info on this or a website that shows data on heat sources and venting is appreciated.

I guess I missed the PDF... I have a set of the Pontiac louvers like the OP used. does your PDF work with those louvers???
yes, post #233 hAS THE FILE

I have a set of 3 vents I need to install but I am trying to find data on where they should be placed to maximize venting when slow crawling or standing still? I am not concerned with cooling at freeway speeds. If anyone has some info on this or a website that shows data on heat sources and venting is appreciated.

3?
WHAT DO THEY LOOK LIKE?
try fitting them in between the rails underneath, so your hood stays rigid.

someone placed pieces of string on the hood and drove around, but I dont think it matters that much.

I can tell you, when i'm crawling along and stop, i see the heat waves pouring out of mine. Adding new foam on the edge of the radiator and changing the fan clutch were a big help too. Driving at speed down the 5 from Rubicon helps also, the floor isnt as hot in the passenger foot well, but the tranny hump still gets toasty.

These are off the Lumina z34 and dump loads of excess heat out.i made my own template out of thick paper.no drip pans, don't need them.
20160309_182056.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom