My Newly-Vented Hood (20 photos!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Itchy Sides said:
Question: Did the OP cut away some of the pad that's under the hood?

IIRC mine ('96) isn't triangular like that.

Anyone doing this mod must cut the padding

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure from memory and too busy to go look.

Thanks again!

A couple more. I had been considering this wrx scoop along with an intercooler for the 97, but I think I might be better off with an air to water I/C so I don't know if ill end up using it.

Nicholas,

Did you end up installing the Wrx Scoop?? I got my hands on one from a 02-03 Wrx. I have to get my hood repainted so I was considering venting the hood at the same time.

Thanks
Stu
2012-01-09_18-47-26_311.jpg
2012-01-09_18-46-36_480.jpg

So it seems like quite a few people have done this mod (in various seasons, too), but as far as I can tell, nobody has posted before/after ScanGauge coolant and intake temps (plutonius at least tried). Barring the before/after, at least blocking the vents to get an approximate "before" reading would tell us something, then unblock for "after". I mean, I understand "a lot" of heat comes out of the vents- I'd be surprised if that weren't the case. But that doesn't mean the vents are making a significant difference, or even a measurable difference in intake air temps or coolant temps.

With so many people having done this mod and almost ZERO data on coolant / intake temp differences, can I assume this is because it's the MUD equivalent of "spinners"- all show and no go? :flipoff2: (I can only hope my assumption is proven incorrect so I have a rational excuse to get on the list).

...Anyone?... Anyone?...

"The scientific method enables us to differentiate between fact and belief, between evidence and folk wisdom..."

Anyone?... Bueller?

Sorry everyone who has done this is busy enjoying cooler under hood temps to bother with the scientific process. :flipoff2:

When I return from India next weekend my truck will be done and I will give you the data you crave so ;)

Of course with everything I am doing my numbers will be off slightly.

Sorry everyone who has done this is busy enjoying cooler under hood temps to bother with the scientific process. :flipoff2:

...exactly. With the vented hood in conjunction with a new modded blue fan clutch, I am at least 10 degrees cooler in all scenarios, and rarely see anything over 190... But it's not summer temps in SoCal yet.

I weighed my LC a month ago and it weighs 1000LB more than stock. She's also nearly 1 foot taller than stock. All that weight, stuff, and height guarantees more strain on the engine and more heat than it's designed for on a full time basis. If that's not intuitive, then you don't have to bling out your hood like so many of us. I think it's only fair to give my old girl a vent or two to let her push some of that heat out faster, in one direction or the other.

Think about that too. 1000LB over stock. I think that's pretty common on 'Mud. That's just: bumper, winch, sliders, larger tires, roof rack, and skid plates. Isn't that like taking a 15 year old vehicle and putting it on a permanent incline? Like taking a 15 year old vehicle and hooking up a 1000LB trailer and towing it everywhere you go? It's in that ballpark anyway. Our vehicles handle correctly because our suspensions are designed for that weight, but the engine and cooling system wasn't, to my knowledge. Maybe it was?

I think the thermostat controls the engine temp unless you're pushing your engine past your thermostat's setting/abilities. If your thermostat is designed to keep your engine at 185, vents won't change that. They will only affect the rate of heat increase above that temp and decrease below that temp. That's harder to get numbers for. This is my lay understanding.

It's great that we can check our engine temps with Bluetooth OBDII's and make adjustments as necessary. But I think it's a given that we're putting more strain on our engines and they could probably use a little help. The only question would be is a hood vent enough? With all that weight and stuff maybe larger better radiators should be mandatory? Still shouldn't be a bad thing to put in a hood vent.

Yeah, I know, there's not much, if anything, scientific about this. I checked my temps a few weeks ago. I was idling about 185 and hit 195 on the interstate on a hill, then back to 185. I haven't put my new Datsun 280ZX vents on yet.

Last edited:
So who has the template now? I found a set of GTP louvers and will need it soon.

So who has the template now? I found a set of GTP louvers and will need it soon.
I was taking way to long on my projects, so I just copied the template for later use. I sent it back to Calfj60 a while back. John

I was taking way to long on my projects, so I just copied the template for later use. I sent it back to Calfj60 a while back. John

Oooh...that's not too far from me ...calfj60?

I have a template that was mailed to me. It is only a paper template. PM me if you want me to send it off. I ended up just doing it all from scratch.

Senor Gonzalez

Hey dave,Do you happen to know who's next I don't want to jump in front anyone who might being waiting,if not I could use the template.My GTP vents should be getting here this w/end.Cheers :beer:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I recently acquired a set of NOS 94 95 96 GTP louvers but don't have the drip pans. I noticed that many don't use them and was wondering if anyone had a set laying around that they would want to give up?

LMK,
John

I have a set, if you'll cover packing and shipping, I'll send em. However, the drip pans are so restrictive, they basically render the vents innert. My vents have been on in everything from snow to 115* heat, without the pans, without problem. And here in Dallas, we get more rain annually than Seattle on average. (not more often, just MORE).

Furthermore, with the hood bracing, I don't think its possible for the drains to actually fit without chopping them up as well.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I recently acquired a set of NOS 94 95 96 GTP louvers but don't have the drip pans. I noticed that many don't use them and was wondering if anyone had a set laying around that they would want to give up?

LMK,
John

Hey, John... Forget the drip pans... you'll be just fine without the restrictive buggers!

R

Looking for the GTP install template

Found a set of GTP louvers at the local Pick N Pull. Any chance the template is still floating around or who had it last? I'd like to borrow it to do my vent install.

Thanks.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom