My new supercharged 2006 Land Cruiser 80 Series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello every one my name is Franco Rotunno, I am 25 years old and I am a car enthusiast and Land Cruiser lover, later I will show my Land Cruisers. But know I having an issue with my new Land Cruiser 80 series i just bought 4 month ago, i bought it while I was traveling I just checked the pictures and buy it without really inspected. When I went back to Venezuela I was excited for my new car, one of the best suv ever made, almost 30 years from its release and still look fresh. Some week later we went off road and when i return i noticed i weird sound from the engine, it have TRD super charger, I though it was the super charger and i bought a rebuild kit, after it we remove the belt and we notice that the crippy sound was from the engine.

After all we figure out the engine was using cilinder liner set, may be because the supercharger not well tuned and running lean all the time. fortunately I have a 3 coil 1fz engine with wiring and ecu. its just need a rebuild so I can rebuild and swap to newer 3 coil sistem, better for water crossing. But here is when the question begins. A lot of trd supercharger were sold here in venezuela for the thousand and thousands of 80 and 70 series but 90% of them were removed because problems as overheating, maybe because the high compresion of the 3 coil 1fz 10 to 1, or maybe because lack of tune, so i have to figure out this:

Better option to down my compression:

1: Using carburator 1fz piston 8.5:1 compression ratio.
Pros: cheaper, i have to rebuild the engine anyway.
Cons: in any case i cant make the TRD works well and I remove, i will have an underpowered 1fz.

2: Using 3 coils 1fz pistons 10:1 compression ratio and use 1.5 mm commetic MSL gasket.
Pros: In any case the supercharger does not work i will have the most powerfull stock 1fz configuration.
Cons: Cometic gasket longevity unknow.

Fuel and spark manage system. Well here is when the fun start.

-Upgrading to 3 coils and 3 bar map sensor I can use this options.

1: use unichip piggyback.
Pros: i can tune timing and fuel injection.
cons: price and unichip reliability.

2: stock ecu and fuel managment system from vortec with air to fuel meter.
pros: price, it is slighter cheaper than a unichip, I can adjust fuel delivery from where the stock map stop reading air pressure the fuel managment start giving more fuel pressure to the inyectors.
Cons: I can not tune timing.

-Keeping distributor system, way more cheaper and less work. In this case i will rise the fuel pressure by aftermarket fuel regulator, i will upgrade to newer maf sensor and with distributor i can adjust timing.

I have to decide what route to take, my 80 series will be a daily driver and an overland vehicle so it must be reliable.

PD: Im so sorry for my english.

I’ll buy the supercharger if you’re going sell it.
But why? It’s been proven for the last 30 years.

I would sell the supercharger and buy a wits end turbo. The TRD supercharger is not an efficient compressor.

Well, I am using the supercharger because I have it, in that case I would prefer to swap a LS, i am not so conservative.

You've already mentioned too many things that make me jealous :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom