My "new" sickness .. aka Max. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This weekend will be our first camping trip in the Troopy so I needed some electrics.I bought a 120A Lead crystal battery and just temporarily wired it - this will change once I know how I want the inside rigged.
zpIn2d9k-q-SBKxk48u_KGw6L-rqY4fWPoYj-L41O_gfy9cLklczO606fPMgkOcvWxKZlKSnwMvlSaNHlcJBFDREvV85a8M1kHylj4eWqgyEAF3DM8VsxnZu63dMdVhNh4o_393ooUlQsP4aLfZEwYdnm9VzkBQuAJDpG2F9IgI8BQIQ7Og8iVR4sQ6L0ZTTc_pIMQ85MCdN0PjxK1N6otZplT2I-TgNmLdwpcFAcHwCss7W8b1lCTLSsOwpluwRHjMt_Eoc7cbwOEGfmJ8jTKbzJxkft7Ugh8WWgJJX5bzZ3lzo5ZomDuPeGj6tCwki-vZ6-IMIUn0dsYMA9d4CAq5y8q3kWH9OwVD-zk5Tux5ZyS4p9s6M1lcM1XbC5eT92J_CtL-LF9r0Q8lhuTFLScjU40-Nc8JWwtqMUWacukobYNU3gil7PSIYNUoZWyWHFP8PiLKolYzZNgh02k8WJIgrC1Re86QvFvPq4rvR5vB_WmX8a8PchX9o0pdc2_iouL1eYA26d2SfmEcBFcoW6BitDNfl_5JqQXspc1KG7rnOFMm-TZJpaEgAwQGn253Ottw44nfb1wUEjTIWVpfBZsTuY9--ggIUJLkwmKWDVEq_yEyw=w453-h805-no

that 95L takes a lot of space ...

OD50Y0NLee2KOnM0fRXqdlCPladcNVCjBaDFVlxCQfH_4tEGO1tH1f7obFz_4zjaf1HLau31cSl4Z4kX6UTEkmdMVdFiYMibMDsV-KuaFyXEpCDmEHGcFHhPGmRT5Qfd1vskJE_8fgL3Qb5hsfg6cztOW2PlolD54R-AV-0gGiZ1FSgWwOupH07TZUi-TH0V7CtoPD69jr8w86iPr730U1aohjMj1r0nWoRtFzrj0C5MkGifOfTXTxTZekscONhdGwlstOaz1admpzF2zYd9yuOx51OYnWgAbRALY43Ay820CiSx1xNTtueLEEDjIoh43fccPFxBjr4Nva6CBlMtplMXUnBZt1OqAGKS92W6L1Ly6MJ45mKo8kuue7r_Kf4hXxEXDWAYNw1VwFGD6cSRBIPsbqPfcYzqyhSSXktwtTzvKRBMggtQ8wK-fBLN8lFBTn_jQRsPcx6mS34Ctq2jRKabaiOnd-iPBgY1Bh83xAt5zpAdT3tenOu5bDicsR2rw50EW0DpX2TKbPgDIY8kiox6rNXB1isfUOghiTmj_jLTOQOrw9SSfSzZJWwKYRXWBAB-OwWgVRCZbNGpdiffopBry6JhYXuLUqQZpSd4e0aTU0lH=w453-h805-no

:cheers:

Over the last few months the "new" motor would puff a bit of white smoke intermittently so we monitored it and seeing that it stood for 2 years even attempted to cure the suspected valve stem seals with some "snake oil" and at times it actually seamed to be getting better especially when driving in town. However on our Dec holiday trip, it started to use enough oil to convince me that it was time to just bite the bullet and take that engine rebuild all the way, so this morning I dropped her at my buddie for the complete rebuild so .... :bounce:

TMarx, still impressed by all you're doing. I would dearly love a drive in a 1HDT-FE-equipped Troopie. Do please let us know what it's like when you find out post-rebuild.

This morning I refilled for the first time after a full tank: 560 km of town driving on 70 L of fuel - not too shabby for a motor that stood for 2 years ?
That's 12.5l/100km. Considering the car's weight and all other factors, and these are city numbers, that's fantastic. I've to work bloody hard to get 11 or better on the highway with my 1HZ; when you get the chance, TMarx, could you post some highway fuel-consumption numbers? I cruised at 100km/h for mine, and got, twice, 10.5l/100km, which still seem so good i find it hard to believe.

Thanks mate !

On this last trip in December from Cape Town to my folks in Jbay and back, with 5 adults plus gear travelling at 110 to 120 km/h (GPS speed) we got between 8.3 to 8.7 km/l.

Thanks mate !

On this last trip in December from Cape Town to my folks in Jbay and back, with 5 adults plus gear travelling at 110 to 120 km/h (GPS speed) we got between 8.3 to 8.7 km/l.

Using 8.5km/l, that is 11.76l/100km. Once again, with 5 adults plus their stuff (i was on my own for my consumption numbers, and not heavily loaded), at, say, 115kmh, my little experience tells me you're doing VERY nicely.

But then you'd never be able to convert to mpg...HaHa. Sorry, I love fuel economy debates. I've never liked
the full metric conversion thing in Canada. I'm thinking the Brits got it right, metric everywhere except MPH
and MPG. I do like to buy meat by the pound too, cause WTF is 300 grams of beef???

Old habits I suppose ..... although for the type of trips that we do around here it is usually more about calculating your range till the next fuel source .... so that is prolly why we prefer to use km/l

Seeing that we are going all in, I am considering Ceramic coating the new pistons, exhaust manifold and the cyl head ... so what say thee and why please ?

still can't understand why metric uses ltr/100klm? so much easier just to divide liters used by distance driven.

Hello Coldtaco,
Some years ago i read an article by an engineer (Dennis Simanaitis, writing in Road &Track), explaining that litres/100km provided a rate of consumption, while mpg gave range. Or something of the sort, it has been a while. On the one hand it made sense, but yet not entirely, as one can readily convert one to the other.

• You guys are over-thinking this. When you see the needle approaching E simply pull into the next filling station. When you get to be my age you'll probably need to pee anyway. : )

• You guys are over-thinking this. When you see the needle approaching E simply pull into the next filling station. When you get to be my age you'll probably need to pee anyway. : )

So, 1978HJ45, we need to measure mpg as well as mpp?

sorry, couldn't resist.

Well the motor is out and on the stand.We are going to go back to the original 1hd-t flywheel in order to go to the larger 300mm clutch disc, as I want to bump the the boost by about 2 psi :bounce2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom