My new LX450 project... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 LC and went out and bought a 96 LX450 for next to nothing. Got a great deal for a truck that is mechanically, pretty sound. Small issues about a leaky gas tank, and some electrical issues, but other than that, great. Rebuilt from axle, HG done by PO, maintenance kept up, etc. But at some point water began to enter the cab and work its magic. You can check the thread from the 80 forum here... https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/472235-lx450-electrical-gremlins-help.html

I was wondering if anyone local could maybe help me out, lead me to a reasonable shop, or better yet, do some work for some cash. I have two cars, so I'm not in a huge hurry. Anyway, please weigh in and let me know. I'm in Hoover, AL. Thanks tons. :grinpimp:

That's not a leaky gas tank........We all get low mileage.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are trying to put together this month's meeting, so try to make it out and we can all look it over then.

I'm only getting about 13 in my 96 LC, but my LX got 15.2! :D It's like free gasoline!!!

I'll try to make the meeting, but it's doubtful I could drive the LX since I am in the process of dismantling it and it isn't tagged, or anything right now...

I live behind Ellis Piano in some townhomes off of 31. You can PM me or call my cell at 334.462.5868. Any help at all would be appreciated from someone much wiser in the ways of the Crusier than I am. Thanks,

Matthew

Lately, we've been having the local DLC meetings in Homewood or in Hoover about 1/2 mile behind McDonald's on Hwy 31 and Lorna Rd. So it's good your close.

I cannot help anymore than what I can read on mud and hopefully the professional help can chime in soon.

That's cool. Is the next meeting set yet? Do you know of any reasonable shops in this area that are not going to charge me an arm, a leg, and a hand to work on my toys? Thanks.

Definitely sounds like that one circuit is suspect (domelight/radio/clock)
Cruise gets disabled on alot of stuff in this truck, brake level could be low... cruise don't work. Park neutral switch acting up... cruise don't work. Too many people troubleshoot the cruise control out of the FSM... but what it doesn't say, is that the cruise may not be the issue, it jsut gets disabled from another issue.

Any event. I'd love to help you. Are youy looking to swap engines and then sell the lesser one? You keep talking about getting this thing cheap, would you be passing that deal along with a lesser engine or what? If i was to help you, it'd be free BTW... or at least food and drinks and comfy bed. I rarely drink alcohol due to myshunt.

Check out the April Meeting thread for the info on the next meeting.

Good shops...none I can recommend.

Estes Tire does a decent job on my wife's 4runner. I've heard good things about Franklin Automotive, Superior Automotive, and Barrett Automotive which are all Toyota certified shops.

A Factory service manual, Mud threads, and local help should get about anything done.

I know Blackdog had a head gasket done by a local shop, maybe he will chime in.

That's a lot of random electrical problems, is there any chance the truck was flooded at some point? I can't imagine a sunroof drain causing that much damage.

If you need to drop the gas tank I've got a transmission jack you can borrow.

The tank actually is extremely light and two folks can do it lickidysplit if it's not full... syphon it first.
I've got a 80 series gas tank it's been freshly dropped... I'll give you a GOOD deal on it.
I have alot of recent experience with these 80 series fuel systems... 22RE fuel systems recently too...

That's a lot of random electrical problems, is there any chance the truck was flooded at some point? I can't imagine a sunroof drain causing that much damage.

If you need to drop the gas tank I've got a transmission jack you can borrow.

If I need that jack, I may let you know. I think it may have been flooded, but the cork board on the backs of the doors inside has no idication of flooding nor does the carpet other than the passender side foot well. It's odd. Any ideas?

Estes Tire does a decent job on my wife's 4runner. I've heard good things about Franklin Automotive, Superior Automotive, and Barrett Automotive which are all Toyota certified shops.

A Factory service manual, Mud threads, and local help should get about anything done.

I know Blackdog had a head gasket done by a local shop, maybe he will chime in.

I'd love to know where Blackdog got the HG done. I'll check some of those shops. I'd love to find a mechanic that has time and is willing to cut a deal, let me buy parts and work at their leisure for a discount of some sort.

Definitely sounds like that one circuit is suspect (domelight/radio/clock)

Any event. I'd love to help you. Are youy looking to swap engines and then sell the lesser one? You keep talking about getting this thing cheap, would you be passing that deal along with a lesser engine or what? If i was to help you, it'd be free BTW... or at least food and drinks and comfy bed. I rarely drink alcohol due to myshunt.

Where is that circuit at, or where does it all converge? I'd love some help, and that tank and filler neck and hose would be best too. If I pulled the engine out of the 96 LC, it has 178k miles, but leaks oil more than I'd like (not horrible) and needs the front axles rebuilt. The 96 LX is great mechanically, but has electrical issues. I'd prefer to fix the electrical and gas issues on the 96 LX and sell the 96 LC. How hard would it be to sort the electrics out for real? If I replaced the engine and the front axle in the 96 LC from the LX, that'd be a pretty penny since I couldn't do it alone, and don't have the tools. Any ideas?

Where is that circuit at, or where does it all converge? I'd love some help, and that tank and filler neck and hose would be best too. If I pulled the engine out of the 96 LC, it has 178k miles, but leaks oil more than I'd like (not horrible) and needs the front axles rebuilt. The 96 LX is great mechanically, but has electrical issues. I'd prefer to fix the electrical and gas issues on the 96 LX and sell the 96 LC. How hard would it be to sort the electrics out for real? If I replaced the engine and the front axle in the 96 LC from the LX, that'd be a pretty penny since I couldn't do it alone, and don't have the tools. Any ideas?

that circuit is part of the harness (that runs the whole truck). But you'd want to check the tips for corrosion, test both ends for continuity, check where it goes into the fuse block, etc, etc. Have you actually checked the fuse? I tell you, the easiest would be to pull the radio and really get into the dash to see what's up.

the front axle can get rebuilt in a day if someone is on either side. it's stupid easy, just long. I've gone into my front axle(s) seriously no telling how many times... I'll be replacing a hub this weekend if it gets here. hell the birf may be broken too...

My tools have been purchased around 80 series Land Cruisers, so I got everything you need.... including anything for a HG job on a 1FZE which I did as well.

I'd be interested in the one you want to dump off if I could get a screaming deal on it. hell, I'd work my ass off on the LX450 and get it running like a top in exhcange for an even screaming'er deal.

that circuit is part of the harness (that runs the whole truck). But you'd want to check the tips for corrosion, test both ends for continuity, check where it goes into the fuse block, etc, etc. Have you actually checked the fuse? I tell you, the easiest would be to pull the radio and really get into the dash to see what's up.

Already pulled the radio, AC, plastic pieces under doors that cover some wiring on both sides, glove box, and piece of plastic under steering wheel. I'm starting to make some sense of it, but it's slow going really.

the front axle can get rebuilt in a day if someone is on either side. it's stupid easy, just long. I've gone into my front axle(s) seriously no telling how many times... I'll be replacing a hub this weekend if it gets here. **** the birf may be broken too...

My tools have been purchased around 80 series Land Cruisers, so I got everything you need.... including anything for a HG job on a 1FZE which I did as well.

I could rebuild my front axle on the LC and that would rock. It would need a HG too eventually, valve cover gasket, little piddly **** like that. :)

I'd be interested in the one you want to dump off if I could get a screaming deal on it. ****, I'd work my ass off on the LX450 and get it running like a top in exhcange for an even screaming'er deal.

I got the LX for what I considered a good deal, then again, as I tear into it, it looks more and more fun... If I could just get the electrical things fixed on the LX and move the tires from the LC to the LX, then I'd be set. PM me or call me at 334.462.5868 and I'd be happy to go over more of it with you. I think I drove one of yours with 35s and rhino lined about a year and a half ago or more before I bought my 96 LC.

I think I drove one of yours with 35s and rhino lined about a year and a half ago or more before I bought my 96 LC.

Did you live in Prattville at the time? If so, you're the one who passed on it that allowed me to swap my Scion with Cory for it! I am not Cory btw... but i did help him in building that truck. That's why when the time came to get it... i was all over it. The HG blew 2 weeks after trading, and i spent roughly $1K in that project WITHOUT sending the head off to be worked....

Did you live in Prattville at the time? If so, you're the one who passed on it that allowed me to swap my Scion with Cory for it! I am not Cory btw... but i did help him in building that truck. That's why when the time came to get it... i was all over it. The HG blew 2 weeks after trading, and i spent roughly $1K in that project WITHOUT sending the head off to be worked....

That was me. I was traveling a lot and decided to pass on it and got a 1996 LC that was stock. It has held up well with just the basic maint, etc. Then I ran across the 96 LX and just had to have it, so that's where I'm at now.

I live in Hoover now, man that sucks about blowing the HG 2 weeks after getting it. Tis life I suppose. I'm sure we could work something out for working on the LX or the LC to get one of the two back to tip top shape, or both. Hit me up sometime, I'd love the help or advice especially.

I checked all the fuses and they seem to be ok. I need to test the circuits I guess, but I'd be lost without someone at least showing me where to start or explaining it a little more. I'm pretty ok on mechanical stuff, but electrics...I get lost like a babe in the woods.

I purchased a 96 locally here that was prolly alot like your LX... SOOO much little shunt wrong with it, but luckily I worked out everything but one CEL on it... it had a few. Jack Uys ended up buying it from me and immediately fixing the CEL. I bought it to keep but at the time had to sell it shortly after i bought it.
I do not pretend to be an expert mechanic and know very little about 12V power.... but I'm resourceful as hell and not afraid to try anything which usually gets the job done.

Sounds like my philosphy, it's already broke, try whatever to fix it. lol. You're not going to break it any worse is how I look at it, usually.

If you do end up coming down for rodeo, let me know, I've got that tank you can take back.

Well I think I diagnosed part of my problems. My sunroof is leaking and the drains aren't clogged. When I pour in water it is leaking through the two screws holding down the frame around the sunroof. One is cracked and the other just leaks. If you look at the front drains it is the only two screws toward the front of the sunroof right behing the drains. I am missing the metal piece that pops up when you open the sunroof, for that's worth.

I traced it down by pulling off the plastic around the doors and the weather stripping. It is leaking from the sunroof out of the metal and then running down the inside of the weatherstripping on both sides to the foot wells. On the drivers side the drain plug is pulled so it drains and it just sits on the passenger side.

When I went to looking at the electrical connections and the wiring harnesses on the drivers side I noticed that two of the wiring harnesses have wiring that is corroded going into them and basically need to be replaced. I think that is alot of my various issues, same with the AC. I think that the AC part that is behind the passenger side dash probaly got water or condensation in it and went kaput.

Any ideas on how to fix the sunroof issue? And where can I get wiring harnesses for what I need? I should be able to splice it all back together to fix it, right? Any ideas?

And Land Speeder, I do need that gas tank. It is leaking not from the filler neck, but from the actual tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom