My new free LC vise workbench for the shop or trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
yup, woke up this morning with a brilliant thought.

(Unfortunately, it seems like I have only brilliant thoughts when I'm sleeping, but I guess it's better than nothing... Oh well.... :D)

I thought: I wonder if my old vise would fit on my pintle mount...?

well:

:)

bolt pattern slightly off but skinny bolts make it feasible...

interestingly, I was thinking about ways to secure the vise securely cuz I'm struggling with the stuck seat post for this old bike. I needed something secure to exert mucho torque on the thing to try and dislodge it.

Semi success: this new vise mount allowed me to use the frame to torque the post quite a bit. So much in fact that the seat mount that was press fitted in the post let loose and the post is still stuck in there.... grrr...
DSC01556.jpg
DSC01557.jpg

yup, woke up this morning with a brilliant thought.

(Unfortunately, it seems like I have only brilliant thoughts when I'm sleeping, but I guess it's better than nothing... Oh well.... :D)

I thought: I wonder if my old vise would fit on my pintle mount...?

That is a brilliant idea - you just have to sleep more, buddy. :hmm:

Where did you get the hitch mount bracket? I need to get one of those.

As of the post -

Be careful with the application to the bike frame though. I have see so many frames destroyed by a vise. It is probably safer to have vice/pipe wrench grip on the post instead of frame. Have you try to insert a big pipe wrench to the hitch receiver and have it bite on the post with the bike up-side-down and you can hold both ends of frame for leverage.

Before the brutal force begin, I would try to soak it in ammonia. (see https://forum.ih8mud.com/bicycling/...-seat-post-alum-inside-steel.html#post4637465, I saw you were posting there too.) I have great success in the past with ammonia to an aluminum post on a steel frame. Yous looks like an aluminum frame, but it should work too. Unfortunately, liquid wrench does nothing to aluminum oxide, but ammonia will. Try to soak it well (in days not hours)...

Good luck

That is a brilliant idea - you just have to sleep more, buddy. :hmm:

Where did you get the hitch mount bracket? I need to get one of those.

As of the post -

Be careful with the application to the bike frame though. I have see so many frames destroyed by a vise. It is probably safer to have vice/pipe wrench grip on the post instead of frame. Have you try to insert a big pipe wrench to the hitch receiver and have it bite on the post with the bike up-side-down and you can hold both ends of frame for leverage.

Before the brutal force begin, I would try to soak it in ammonia. (see https://forum.ih8mud.com/bicycling/...-seat-post-alum-inside-steel.html#post4637465, I saw you were posting there too.) I have great success in the past with ammonia to an aluminum post on a steel frame. Yous looks like an aluminum frame, but it should work too. Unfortunately, liquid wrench does nothing to aluminum oxide, but ammonia will. Try to soak it well (in days not hours)...

Good luck

I didn't clamp the frame as shown in the pic. That was just loosely held for me to play with the brakes.
what I did do, though, was to clamp the seat mount in the vise and twist the frame.
I have heard contradictory reports of the ammonia by now, but I guess I'll try anyway. The conundrum, though, is that if clamp the post down it'll be toast and if I can't take the post out, the frame is finished. Now, at least, it's in perfect shape still and I can make an insert to put a seat back on.
I need a 29mm reamer. Anybody?

the pintle mount is a standard affair. Got it from Harbor Freight. Solid shank. Heavy mother.

Whats the tow rating on that vise:D
I have a similair one that I mounted to a extra 2'' towbar for work,they sure come in handy at a job site.

oh, and in case you're wondering how well I take care of my tools, this one got through a wildfire.... :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom