My new FJ62 project! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not real happy with Budlong...had them work on 2 motors and neither are satisfactory. I don’t own my 3rd gen 4R anymore cause of the 1st experience and the other I’m dealing with now.
If I get engine work again I’d give Empire a try...

Another place. I used them for a couple of Polaris engines. They are way old school, and seem to specialize in classic engines. The shop isn't much to talk about, but they sure seem to know what to do with an engine.

Automotive Machine
1645 2nd St NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
242-3548

Anderson Automotive Machine is around the corner. They have a good reputation. 1613 1st St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102, 766-9354.

Just finished up with plastigaging the rod journals. Man, this engine is still tight! They were all .030 to .038mm. All within factory spec. Definitely no rod bearing issues. That's pretty reassuring to know. The loose t/c bolts I'm sure is what was causing the knocking noise.

Not real happy with Budlong...had them work on 2 motors and neither are satisfactory. I don’t own my 3rd gen 4R anymore cause of the 1st experience and the other I’m dealing with now.
If I get engine work again I’d give Empire a try...

Thanks for this feedback. I'll probably try Empire as its the closest to me. I also think Dan mentioned that American uses them as well.

I just saw this!
Yay!
Long live the Blue 62’s in the Burque!
I am going watch this one!
Very exciting!

CD0862D2-108D-4086-980A-40C949C714DA.jpeg

Long live the Blue 62’s in the Burque!
I am going watch this one!
Yeah! This has been a fun little project so far! I've been doing some engine bay cleaning and parts cleaning. Waiting on the cylinder head from Empire. That should be ready Thursday. Also collecting parts to replace while I'm in there. Just dropped off the radiator today at Walker radiator.

Meanwhile the 80 just sits in the corner, sulking. Here's what he's saying :flipoff2:

She's alive! Engine sounds really good. No more knock noise! Wahoo! Have a question for anyone that might know. When the engine was out I dropped the trans pan and changed the filter. I've added 8 quarts of fluid and it just barely registers on the dip stick. Does that sound right? I drained the cooler lines and also the cooler in the radiator. I left the pan off for a day and it probably dripped another quart maybe? Anyway, it goes into all gears ok with no slipping. I ran the engine for probably 30 minutes at varying rpms. Everything looks great and no leaks so far!

IMG_20190923_140354484.jpg

Great news! VICTORY LAP!
Drive it, and keep an eye on that tranny dip stick. Watch it close, and add/remove fluid until it’s at the level indicated on the dip stick. Also keep an eye on the trans temp light. (I think it comes on at 304 degrees...that’s hot!)
Have you checked the transfer case fluid? There’s a seal between the trans and transfer case that can go out, and the ATF can migrate to the xfer case...
so if you’re feeding it ATF and is doesn’t seem to get full, that’s where it could be going. Not trying to spook your AWESOME efforts, just passing on info!
Is there an after market transmission fluid cooler on the rig? If not, I suggest looking into one. Heat hurts these trannies.
Please, take a victory lap, you’ve earned it!
Strong work!

Great news! VICTORY LAP!
Drive it, and keep an eye on that tranny dip stick. Watch it close, and add/remove fluid until it’s at the level indicated on the dip stick. Also keep an eye on the trans temp light. (I think it comes on at 304 degrees...that’s hot!)
Have you checked the transfer case fluid? There’s a seal between the trans and transfer case that can go out, and the ATF can migrate to the xfer case...
so if you’re feeding it ATF and is doesn’t seem to get full, that’s where it could be going. Not trying to spook your AWESOME efforts, just passing on info!
Is there an after market transmission fluid cooler on the rig? If not, I suggest looking into one. Heat hurts these trannies.
Please, take a victory lap, you’ve earned it!
Strong work!
Oh man, I hope that seal isn't leaking that bad! I'll keep an eye on it. Just put another quarter of a quart and that seemed to bring the level up on the dipstick. It does not have an aftermarket trans cooler. I'll look into doing that too. Is it possible to rebuild the tcase still in the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom