My new FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought it about a month ago. 1985 FJ60... (I had an MR2 as a daily driver before, which is for sale now, by the way.) I have $2.000 to spend on her right now. What to do?

What do you want to do it with and how good are you at modifying/fabrication???

drive it for a couple more months until the mechanical gremlins rear their ugly little heads.... fix, put a couple inches of lift on it with some more aggressive treads and you will be ready to roll....

or that is what I'd do with it.

Reliability first, then mods.
:cool:

That thing is actually very well maintained. Everything is up to date and it drives very solidly. My goals for the truck is to use it basically as a long-range type truck. Planning on going back to my native land of El Salvador sometime soon to visit. The Arctic Circle is in my near future also... I would love a diesel engine. Maybe 1HZ... if possible a 3B with a bit more power (mostly for the mileage). For now, I guess I'll just get some new wheels and tires. I'm planning on running some 235/85R16s... we'll see...

Last edited:
Nice truck! Don't do what I did (take her on trails and dent her within 6 months). :cool:

I agree with others--drive her, get used to doing maintenance (learn your way around) and hang onto the money for a while. Figure out what you want to do--if you want to take her off road think sliders and rear panel protection--don't beat up that nice sheet metal.

How does she ride? Mine was in great shape (drivetrain, front axles, engine, etc all in great shape and well maintained), but rode rough. I realized after a while that the original springs were flat (axles were hitting the bump stops), so my first 2k went for suspension replacement (OME Dakars, shocks, bushings, shackles and steering stabilizer). You could get off cheaper doing it yourself, but to be honest I had more money than guts and time. (I'm now committed to doing everything else myself.)

Enjoy--these are amazing vehicles! I'm keeping mine forever--a million miles is the goal.

Reliability first, then mods. :D

1. Suspension ( OME, Dakar, Alcans )

2. 33" MT tires

3. 4.11 R&P

4. Bull Bars

6. Winch

7. Lockers F&R

8. Interior ( seats, freezers CB radio etc )

And finaly your pasion for Toyota .. :cool:

Congrats on your new purchase. Save the $ for gas!

Yeah.. my suspension is pretty bad. I mean, it rides okay but the springs are flat. I might do suspension and tires first. I'll keep the body protection in mind also. And of course, the passion for Toyota has always been there... since I was a little kid. Oh yeah, and this is the least MPGs I have ever gotten from a Toyota. My MR2 would give me 30+ on the highway. I'll miss that, but I have to move on.

Welcome to the board.

I agree. Make it reliable and then cool. If you can't drive it, then it dosen't matter how much money you put into it.

:beer:

Hey! Thanks for the welcome, even though I've been on here exactly a year longer than you have! It's just my first Land Cruiser. I was actually looking for an '85 4Runner SR5 but couldn't find one I liked. I used to own one back in my high school days and I missed having a 4WD. So now I have a Land Cruiser.

congrats. i have a 85 too. i second the thought of reliability and then mods.

good luck!

flowman said:
Nice truck! Don't do what I did (take her on trails and dent her within 6 months). :cool:

I agree with others--drive her, get used to doing maintenance (learn your way around) and hang onto the money for a while. Figure out what you want to do--if you want to take her off road think sliders and rear panel protection--don't beat up that nice sheet metal.

How does she ride? Mine was in great shape (drivetrain, front axles, engine, etc all in great shape and well maintained), but rode rough. I realized after a while that the original springs were flat (axles were hitting the bump stops), so my first 2k went for suspension replacement (OME Dakars, shocks, bushings, shackles and steering stabilizer). You could get off cheaper doing it yourself, but to be honest I had more money than guts and time. (I'm now committed to doing everything else myself.)

Enjoy--these are amazing vehicles! I'm keeping mine forever--a million miles is the goal.

no worries dude....dents are cool, rust sucks...just keep the rust away...

I think she looked good after GSMTR :D

and dude i just got the dvd for GSMTR, it was freakin awesome you did a great job on it....thanks for putting ol velveeta in there...You should post them up and im sure a bunch of people from GSMTR would love to see it...

hope to see ya next year....

lowtideride said:
no worries dude....dents are cool, rust sucks...just keep the rust away...

I think she looked good after GSMTR :D

and dude i just got the dvd for GSMTR, it was freakin awesome you did a great job on it....thanks for putting ol velveeta in there...You should post them up and im sure a bunch of people from GSMTR would love to see it...

hope to see ya next year....

[Hijacking this thread to answer] Glad you liked it--happy to send you one, since Velveeta's one of the stars! Proof that Al will take velveeta anywhere :D

For anyone else who wants to see Al and velveeta in action: http://dizzy.ucns.uga.edu/gallery/Videos. They're streaming vids, should work w/ any Quiktime later than 4.1.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread... :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom