My "new" FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi good afternoon everyone. Buying a real inexpensive FJ40. Haven't got a great picture of the VIN plate, dunno why I didn't when I took these pictures, but in any case it has a F135 engine which I've read that came in the 1962-64 years? Is that correct? Also going to spray some ATF in the cylinders, let em soak & try to turn it over by hand. I cant find any info on what size the crank pulley bolt is. Is it the 46mm or 1 13/16" like the later years?

20220911_135726.jpg

20220911_135734.jpg

20220911_141006.jpg

20220911_140940.jpg

20220911_140640.jpg

Spector info points to ‘65 (August) which concurs with the slanted heater intake. But there’s a lot that doesn’t point to a ‘65 like the top, non-bug catcher doors, windshield frame, cowl vent…. I’d find the frame number on the frame itself to validate the tag. Nice looking “barn find” rig in any case.

Last edited:
Spector info points to ‘65 (August) which concurs with the slanted heater intake. But there’s a lot that doesn’t point to a ‘65 like the top, non-bug catcher doors, windshield frame, cowl vent…. I’d find the frame number on the frame itself to validate the tag. Nice looking “barn find” rig in any case.
Gotcha, ill take a look next time I'm next to it

Think you will find the frame number matches. The hard top change happened during 1965. The angle intake changed pretty quick. Do not remember a 66 production with one. Believe it was changed so RHD and LHD could use the same one. Just weld the blank off piece on what side it needed to be on. Shortly before I joined mud I traveled to Washington state to pick up what was left of a very early FJ40 I bought off eBay. I met John who goes by @Landpimp on here. He has one that may be around as early as this one.

Very nice specimen right there.
Thanks man, pretty excited to get this thing running. Just recently (within the last 3 years) got into trucks & offloading. My old man & I were at a car show about 2 months ago & we saw a really nice & cleaned up 40 there & my dad says "oh yeah my buddy has one of those, been sitting for years" & my face was O_O so we went over to his house & sure enough it was sitting there. Been working out a deal with him since.

Thanks man, pretty excited to get this thing running. Just recently (within the last 3 years) got into trucks & offloading. My old man & I were at a car show about 2 months ago & we saw a really nice & cleaned up 40 there & my dad says "oh yeah my buddy has one of those, been sitting for years" & my face was O_O so we went over to his house & sure enough it was sitting there. Been working out a deal with him since.
If you want one for off roading please sell this one before you decide to tear it apart and or cut it up for bigger tires or longer wheelbase. This truck will be a killer survivor and deserves to be preserved and maintained as is with tasteful upgrades.

I hope you are able to get it on the road without too much hassle. I would expect to do an entire new brake system and entire new fuel system. With the engine exposed to the environment with no spark plugs installed like that for so long, bore scope the cylinders before you try any oil in there. If theyve got a bunch dust, debris, or corrosion, no sense in trying to turn it over and ruin the bores, you’ll want to do a full tear down to clean up the internals. Lots of great folks on here willing to share their knowledge and experience to help you on your journey, but its gonna take a lot of work!

If you want one for off roading please sell this one before you decide to tear it apart and or cut it up for bigger tires or longer wheelbase. This truck will be a killer survivor and deserves to be preserved and maintained as is with tasteful upgrades.

I hope you are able to get it on the road without too much hassle. I would expect to do an entire new brake system and entire new fuel system. With the engine exposed to the environment with no spark plugs installed like that for so long, bore scope the cylinders before you try any oil in there. If theyve got a bunch dust, debris, or corrosion, no sense in trying to turn it over and ruin the bores, you’ll want to do a full tear down to clean up the internals. Lots of great folks on here willing to share their knowledge and experience to help you on your journey, but its gonna take a lot of work!
Thanks for the advice man. Im not gonna tear it up or anything like that. Mostly I just wanna get it running & driving. I have a 94 LC that I'm gonna do all the cutting on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom