My new FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I’m new to this forum and can’t wait to talk to you guys, I recently picked up this 1979 Toyota FJ40, from its original owners, it has all its original paint, and with 50k original miles, and it’s been off the road since 2004, but the question I have is how rare is this Toyota CB40F radio ? I did some research and couldn’t find much about it.
80590266-68AE-4E74-A8D2-2E11586A7200.jpeg
742DDBCF-9399-4A07-A235-A172376E9919.jpeg
643AE7B8-2855-4444-9E4A-BBE8D8AD5AAC.jpeg

Here’s some pics of the car
872C5C53-797E-4249-A0A1-973676D7A604.jpeg

And the original unleaded fuel sticker
DF7572DD-3460-4CF1-B246-B80D5188E7FC.jpeg

One sold on Mud in 2013....

5 years ago Mud Member was looking to buy one....

Another posting.... it’s not too hard to google information to find these links Bud.

Roger Roger, that's one sweet 40, good buddy! Betcha get a gajillion Fer it on the old bring-a-trailer. Too nice Fer a Newby, come on back. Original cb and all, worth at least an extra 10 grand.

Hey everyone, I’m new to this forum and can’t wait to talk to you guys, I recently picked up this 1979 Toyota FJ40, from its original owners, it has all its original paint, and with 50k original miles, and it’s been off the road since 2004, but the question I have is how rare is this Toyota CB40F radio ? I did some research and couldn’t find much about it. View attachment 3069815View attachment 3069816View attachment 3069817

Here’s some pics of the car
View attachment 3069818
And the original unleaded fuel sticker View attachment 3069820
That looks like an extremely nice find! I bet it polishes up nice. Take your time and go through everything before starting her up! Enjoy!

Bunch of threads on these including dealing installation instructions. I have the M version with the separate speaker, original harness and mic. Fully operational but I have no interest in mounting per the dealer instructions I have seen which includes mounting the unit to the center console and drilling 4 holes in the tub for the antenna.

I have the Styrofoam insert, would love to get a box. Nice find!

40f-sm-1.jpg

To answer the OP's question, a working CB40F is rare now seeing as most people pulled out their CB's and threw them out long ago.
It's a nice touch on a vintage rig though but that mounting location wouldn't be my best choice due to hitting my knee on it, plus that's where the stock AC controller goes.

Dealer install instructions had them go on the front of the console.

What was the build date on that 40 by the way? By the looks of that fuel door, Jan thru April?

To answer the OP's question, a working CB40F is rare now seeing as most people pulled out their CB's and threw them out long ago.
It's a nice touch on a vintage rig though but that mounting location wouldn't be my best choice due to hitting my knee on it, plus that's where the stock AC controller goes.

Dealer install instructions had them go on the front of the console.

What was the build date on that 40 by the way? By the looks of that fuel door, Jan thru April?
Yep February 79

What's the frame/data plate number?
& where is the CB antenna mount?
They were usually dealer installed on the left side of the tub. In my case it was left side of the hardtop panel.

It always amazed me that people choose antenna locations for convenience and / or appearance. An antenna is a radiator and different frequencies can be impacted by metals based on location. It is not that the CB will not work, it will be limited on function. A simple chart is attached to give an idea of radiation pattern based on where the antenna is mounted. ( Notice the roof mount is always the best.)

Antenna.PNG

It always amazed me that people choose antenna locations for convenience and / or appearance. An antenna is a radiator and different frequencies can be impacted by metals based on location. It is not that the CB will not work, it will be limited on function. A simple chart is attached to give an idea of radiation pattern based on where the antenna is mounted. ( Notice the roof mount is always the best.)

View attachment 3070850
No doubt. The kids doing the install at the dealership were just following the instructions. Also I doubt many new 40 owners wanted to drill holes in the center of their new fiberglass roofs.
C59E72A7-E787-474F-8738-C7814E3625CB.jpeg

No doubt. The kids doing the install at the dealership were just following the instructions. Also I doubt many new 40 owners wanted to drill holes in the center of their new fiberglass roofs.View attachment 3070852

Well, I would prefer to drill fiberglass to drilling holes in metal. I believe the issue is does not look good with a proper antenna center roof vs. a side mount. Perhaps people like a desired look over function. Also, probably very few dealers/workers know anything about antenna theory at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom