My 'New' FJ40 2F has no compression :-( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am new here and I just bought an old FJ40. It was a tossup between Landrover and Landcruiser. The FJ40 won as it was the cheapest and is sooo much more modern than a Series III :)

Anyway, it has motor problems and very barely runs. Last night, I checked the compression with my thumb on the spark plug holes and there is literally none on 2,3,4,5.

1 and 6 still have some.

Mileage is 149000km = barely run in according to others I asked...

I took the tappet cover off and found that all valves have plenty of clearance.

Previous owner said that he was told it needs a valve job and that apparently all the 2F's have valve problems exactly like this one.

I wonder if this is true. Does anyone know?

What is the most likely cause for the problem I am experiencing?

When it does run, I see no blue smoke at the back. It just has absolutely no power and runs on only a few cylinders, even at higher revs.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

Is there a 2F manual somewhere dor download or can I used the F manual?

Kind regards
Bernt

Welcome.

I would not say that ALL 2F's have "the same" vavle problem...unless we are talking about owners that neglect them.

Get a compression gauge from an auto parts store, and get some real numbers.

Put some oil in the cylinders and see what happens after you do the test dry, and compare the numbers/post them up....This will give you more of an idea about what is going on then all the speculation that this post will generate.

Good luck!

-Steve

Hi again,

Ok, some background, I am a fairly skilled with mechanics and I have been repairng and overhauling engines for some 20 years. Mostly Mercedes Benz though.

When I said 'no compression', you can bet you bottom dollar that my trusty old gauge would have shown 0 (I lent it out). Oil in the cylinder didn't help either - still nothing!

Either the old fellow has holes in 4 pistons (unlikwly) has completely stuffed valves or the head gasket is completely stuffed.

Strange that they think here in Oz that this was a common problem with this motor. It may have somethng to do with the unleaded fuel perhaps?

the heaWhatever next, d has to come off to actually have a look.

Will the downloadable F series manual work for the 2F engine as far as head torque rates and valve clearances? If not, prehaps someone has these figures for me?

Regards
Bernt

Valves:

.008" Intake

.014" Exhaust

Cylinder Head Bolt Torque is 83 - 98 ft/Lbs or 11.3-13.5 kg-m
(Torque sequence is from center out. Seems like a typical torque sequence to me but most of my experience is on Toyotas and Chevrolets)

Manifold is 28 - 37 ft/lbs or 3.9 - 5.1 kg-m

These are from a 1974 TOYOTA 2F Engine Repair Manual.

Hi All:

Well, there is no such thing as a "1974 2F Engine Manual" - the 1974 FJ40/45/55 had the late-model "F" engine; the 2F first arrived on the US market in 1975 year vehicles.

Sorry, not trying to nit-pick, but that misprint might confuse some folks.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Miker" wrote:

Cylinder Head Bolt Torque is 83 - 98 ft/Lbs or 11.3-13.5 kg-m
(Torque sequence is from center out. Seems like a typical torque sequence to me but most of my experience is on Toyotas and Chevrolets)

Manifold is 28 - 37 ft/lbs or 3.9 - 5.1 kg-m

These are from a 1974 TOYOTA 2F Engine Repair Manual.

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Well, there is no such thing as a "1974 2F Engine Manual" - the 1974 FJ40/45/55 had the late-model "F" engine; the 2F first arrived on the US market in 1975 year vehicles.

Sorry, not trying to nit-pick, but that misprint might confuse some folks.

Maybe I have a very rare manual? :D

The manual title is "Toyota 2F Engine Repair Manual" not "1974 2F Engine Repair Manual". Sorry if my earlier post was confusing. I purchased it from Florin Road Toyota in Sacramento in either 1979 or 1980. The only date I can find on the manual is 1974. It is definitely a Toyota publication and I believe 1974 is the publication date. It states "1974 TOYOTA MOTOR SALES CO., LTD."

I think that no matter what, you need to pull the head off and have a look. Could be as simple as a head gasket. I think that is the #1 suspect when you have 0 compression on adjacent cylinders.

Ed(professional speculator);)

Hi all,

Ok, the head is off and sitting in my shed. Quite easy to remove actually - I am impressed.

Well, the exhaust valves are all burnt and damaged.

I tried to attach some pics for you but after 3 attempts, the forum still complained about size, quota and exceeded limits. The pics were only some 80kB. If there is a better way to attach them, let me know.

I am going to get some new valves and I 'll see if I can use the seats as is. It not, I 'll have to send it to an engineering shop.

What do you think could have caused this?

Regards
Bernt

Last edited:
and here we thought this bloke didn't know what he was talking about... ;)

a thumb compression tester :D
IMGP1244.JPG
IMGP1243.JPG

Running real lean???:confused:

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom