My new 83 BJ42, almost all original. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ForumRunner_20130707_200418.jpg

ForumRunner_20130707_200452.jpg

ForumRunner_20130707_200519.jpg

24v warn winch

I pick this up yesturday, I'm looking to do a mild resto on it over the next couple of years.
ForumRunner_20130707_200418.jpg
ForumRunner_20130707_200452.jpg
ForumRunner_20130707_200519.jpg

Real nice. I have a 1980 BJ41. Had it for awhile now, daily driver. Love it. Good luck with yours, glad you got an original.

Looks good, the interior looks great actually.

Check the rear U joints, that's usually the problem, but also the pinion flange for slop on the diff once the driveshaft is off. its fine if there is some slop if you twist it, but not if you can move it in/out or push it from the side left to right and get more then say 0.5mm to 1.5mm of play on a worn in diff.

Also check the output flange at the t-case for the same.

Last edited:
So what is the best way to preserve this? I won't have time for the next 2-3 years with family and business to do a full resto. I was thinking of getting underneath and sand basting all the rust scale off and the spraying it with a rust converter and rust bullet. I might also do some minor body repair and give it new coat of red paint.

boxxer said:
So what is the best way to preserve this? I won't have time for the next 2-3 years with family and business to do a full resto. I was thinking of getting underneath and sand basting all the rust scale off and the spraying it with a rust converter and rust bullet. I might also do some minor body repair and give it new coat of red paint.

That's a great start, though I wouldn't bother with body paint until you fix the rust. Keep a good coat of fish oil under it and don't drive it in the Alberta winters. Most importantly keep her in a garage.

Great for ram raiding....

:D

PS. You got the right idea... Tackle the rust (especially to stop it getting worse) while everything else can wait.

Hi, Great truck, Yes tackle the rust ASAP. Id sand blast, 2-3 coats of primer and paint underneath, it's cheap insurance. Have fun. Mike

That Bumper,,,

Hi Boxer , nice find, love the air vents, didnt come with those on my BJ42:frown:
Yep get stuck into the Cancer, the rest can wait,,,,
That bumper rings a small alarm bell in my head, any idea what the PO was shoving around, hopefully nothing and its just for show.

:beer:

Hi Boxer , nice find, love the air vents, didnt come with those on my BJ42:frown:
Yep get stuck into the Cancer, the rest can wait,,,,
That bumper rings a small alarm bell in my head, any idea what the PO was shoving around, hopefully nothing and its just for show.

:beer:

The vents on the hard top are a Canadian spec the US ones never had them. The bumper at first I didn't care for but in person it kind of grows on you, it doesn't look like its seen much use.

That's a great start, though I wouldn't bother with body paint until you fix the rust. Keep a good coat of fish oil under it and don't drive it in the Alberta winters. Most importantly keep her in a garage.

I was going to fix all the rust on the body, it's actually not that bad and there is zero rust on the floors. The only really bad rust is on the running boards which I'm just going to replace. The last 40 that I had was a lot worse.

Oh, then definitely cut the little bit out and paint her! That bumper would be worth good money for scrap-it has to weigh 200 lbs.

Oh, then definitely cut the little bit out and paint her! That bumper would be worth good money for scrap-it has to weigh 200 lbs.

The more that I look at it now, the more I'm think of doing some simple bumper out of 5" c-channel. I noticed there is more than on size of 5" c-channel. Where can you buy d-ring tabs? Also where can you buy a pre-tube to weld on to the bumper to hold the off-road lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom