My new 1994 FZJ80 is stalling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I've been lurking for awhile, and based on knowledge learned here, I picked up a 1994 FZJ80 last week on Monday and put about 500 miles on it with no problems. I was working out of town, and on the last tank of gas pushed it to get home (refilled with 23.3 gallons). The next day, it stalled out on me several times, but I was able to restart vehicle within a few minutes. My guess on the problem at this time was the fuel filter, which I replaced. After replacing the fuel filter, I had no stalling issues, in fact I towed a vehicle about 150 miles up and down hills to Phoenix from Flagstaff with a 150 mile return trip.

On Tuesday of this week my truck stalled on me about 10-15 different times, under different conditions from running a steady, low rpm 55mph downhill, slightly higher rpms uphill, and just sitting and idling while parked. Also, I occasionally felt it stumble at idle, and while maintaining the steady 55mph pace, I watched the tach drop about 400 rpm several times and then return to its previous rpm. (I put about 160 miles on the truck this day.)

These issues occurred with the AC on and with the AC off. Also, while running dirt roads I had no issues. (<--- maybe my truck prefers offroad? ;) )

Now here's the kicker: Today (Wednesday), I ran the truck all day (180 miles) with zero problems. It seems like it may be an electrical issue to me, but I have no clue where to start looking. Any ideas?

ps. I replaced my PHH recently and was sure glad that I did... the old one had a split starting across the top edge. Having some decent mechanical skills, it only took me about half an hour to change it out.

Thanks,
Michael

Check out the MAF (mass air flow sensor)... could be a poss bugger...

I'm not sure if this applies.. but I would just recheck the Fuel Filter. I dont' think you have anything falling apart.. but it doesn't hurt to check for finding metal particles in the filter...

Oh yeah, it has 140,000 miles, no lockers, and the pic:

:flipoff2:

Did you try pulling any diagnostic trouble codes?

I had some "exciting" engine stalling episodes with a faulty ground.

what is a phh?

3pits said:
what is a phh?

Painful heater hose. So named, I suppose, because it's a pain to replace. Check the FAQ and you'll find a whole thread on this topic.

Pesky Heater Hose actually. I believe coined by Beowulf some years back.

How about the wiring harness where it passes by the EGR valve?

Dan, is the EGR valve the deal on the top, front end of the motor (pass. side)? As you know I haven't received my FSM yet... ;)

Also, I tried pulling the code by jumping the E1 and TE1 in the diag. connector and then turning the ignition on, but all that I am getting is a fast blink.

Mike Smith

Last edited:
too bad it is dark or I would check the cap and rotor, and wire harness near the egr,, thanks for the insight

Hondo said:
Dan, is the EGR valve the deal on the top, front end of the motor (pass. side)? As you know I haven't received my FSM yet... ;)

Also, I tried pulling the code by jumping the E1 and TE1 in the diag. connector and then turning the ignition on, but all that I am getting is a fast blink.

Mike Smith

No, driver's side, near the rear of the intake plenum, inboard side.

A fast blink with a regular interval indicates no codes stored.

My 2c I had similiar symptoms on my 94 , it turn out to be the air intake hose from the air box to the air intake . The hose was cracked on the under side .... it would stall at idle .. if you were driveing it was fine , but come to a light and stumbl stumbl..... my 2c

Yellow's got it - beat me to it. Completely remove it (two clamps) to have a good look at the underside. Someone pulled up on it while checking/replacing the air filter.

DougM

I thought I might out off line thanks IdahoDoug ....I had several cracks in the hose ,, and have a new one on the way... in the mean time I used good old duck tape to seal it....
:cheers:

Hondo, I had a similar problem about a year ago. First thing I did was remove and clean the Nuetral safety switch. Only helped with part of the problem(wierd dash lights). Then I replaced the battery, problem solved.

Hondo - great color man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom