My New 1990 HDJ81, Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About shoulder belts. you can get the parts from a wrecked one in the states with no issues. All the holes are there.

I just added shoulder belts for the back seats on my 91', I got the belts from a rolled over RHD 92'. Most of the bolt holes are there, except where the larger main bolt for the retractor mechanism goes, there is no captive nut behind the panel. It's odd all the other holes that you need for the installation have a captive nut? I ended up making a clip nut for it, since there is limited access with the retractor in the way. For the C-pillar anchor bolt, I used a needle to feel for the threads of the captive nut behind liner, before I punched a gaping hole in it. It sits about 2 1/2" above where the rod across the window sits. You will have to swap out the lap belt for the r/h and l/h passenger with the safety belt receptacle. The center lap belt and receptacle stay the same. Hope this helps if you ever plan on dong this mod.

Last edited:
I just added shoulder belts for the back seats on my 91', I got the belts from a rolled over RHD 92'. Most of the bolt holes are there, except where the larger main bolt for the retractor mechanism goes, there is no captive nut behind the panel. It's odd all the other holes that you need for the installation have a captive nut? I ended up making a clip nut for it, since there is limited access with the retractor in the way. For the C-pillar anchor bolt, I used a needle to feel for the threads of the captive nut behind liner, before I punched a gaping hole in it. It sits about 2 1/2" above where the rod across the window sits. You will have to swap out the lap belt for the r/h and l/h passenger with the safety belt receptacle. The center lap belt and receptacle stay the same. Hope this helps if you ever plan on dong this mod.
Thanks, I will add this to my must do list. My list is getting long, but at least this one will make my wife happy.
Mike

Welcome!!

Seeing that you have been bitten by the bug, you have a steep road ahead. Glad to hear you had Wayne go with you. I ended up buying a HDJ81 ('91) a year ago from a dealer that was looking to get out of import and had, in my opinion, some questionable practices. Mine had lower mileage, some records but no BEB's done and some paint damage. I do wish I would have had one of the Cruiser Guys accompany me to point out the small stuff, but in the end I got a really good price - not as good as yours but close. So I have been tackling things along the way and MUD has been invaluable!!! Do lots of searches because someone has already gone through it before you.

ACSD:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/266555-acsd-mysterious-device.html

Seatbelts (sourced from the states as you won't find many wrecked vehicles here) -
Thanks "MOT"
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/91438-hdj81-2nd-row-seatbelt-mod-retrofit.html

Next you'll have to consider the Front-Axle-Rebuild, glass runs, etc, etc, etc.

Good Luck!!!

I have yet to attend a meeting, but here is the local action (Wayne is a great resource!!):
CA.ON- Upper Canada Land Cruisers

I will have to check, but I think the ACSD is already removed.
I saw that the fuse box is missing two fuses for a (Fuel heater or something like that)

Still trying to sort out my electrical problems. :mad: The charge fuse in the fuse box has no power going to it, any ideas? I am still waiting to get the ALt rebuilt as the Tercel one I placed in last week, is maybe causing most of my problems. Since my Alt blew my dash lights are lit up (battery, timing belt, oil temp, AT temp Turbo and over boost) But I thing that the Tercel Alt may be less amps and have a different IC regulator?
Still plugging away at it and it drives and starts fine.:)

I hate to whine so much but I will regardless. I did download the manuals (FSM) a few days ago. Is there a Cole’s notes version, there is a lot of technical info in them.
I broke the Alt tensioning bolt off tonight trying to tighten it; I will pick up a bolt a Canadian tire soon. I started to rip out the Sub woofer and amplifier. I will open up the dash again on the weekend. I hope to remove all aftermarket stuff and try to get only the deck and speakers to work. I hope that this will solve some of my electrical problems. I tried to get the old Alternator rebuilt, but he wanted 600$!! So I will continue to use the Tercel one that I installed last week, but I fear that is part of my problem with the lights on my dash. I have checked connecters at the Alt, because I have heard a bad connection here will cause the dash warning lights, but with dielectric grease and cleaning still no joy. My to do list seems to keep growing
Sort out electrical problems!!!
1) BEB (ordered and waiting to install) If I get the courage.
2) Tighten/ replace wheel bearings
3) Axle seals
4) Timing Belt
5) Alignment, before I mount my BFG's.
6) Roof rack
7) Build rear cargo storage/ sleeping area
8) Install CB and wire for ARB Fridge

Last edited:
A few more photo's, it looks like my 6 year old daughter smeared something on my Camera!
Gettting hand brake working for safety inspection, I am sure it was the first time it was used in 21 years!
IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

I built a sleeping platform again like I did in my Tacoma's
IMG_1688.jpg

4 ft long and then fold the rear seats flat for 2 more ft.
IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

At home with the other Toyota's
IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

Does anyone have some old rain gutter mount cross bars? I am looking to mount my roof basket but can't find any bars cheap. I am not speading 1000$ on a ARB roof rack yet.

Hi Mike,

I have a set of Thule 300 Gutter Mounts that I will let go for $125 (bars are new). I think I have two locking cylinders last I checked. Let me know.

Cheers!

Hi Mike,

I have a set of Thule 300 Gutter Mounts that I will let go for $125 (bars are new). I think I have two locking cylinders last I checked. Let me know.

Cheers!
Do they fit the HDJ81 rain gutters? if so yes I will probably take them from you.
I think I may be down that way for a SONTT meet & greet this weekend.
I will talk to my wife and see.
Thank you.

My new 54mm socket arrived yesterday, so last night I tore into my front Hub (I will post some pictures when I get home from work). I found that the last person to open it up didn’t have a socket (used a screw driver) and caulked (window sealant) all bolts and gaskets. The passenger side (RHD Cruiser) bearing was super loose, so I tightened it all up and closed it all back up again till I get some parts.
I am looking for the best place (IN CANADA) to get the inner and out axle seals and lock washer cheap. I looked up all the part # from the DIYToyota site and can get all from 1stToyota in the States, but shipping was killer last time with them. I have found one seal at PARTYOURWAY but not all. Any good places to order all parts for a front axle service?

Dang you beat me to it, but x2 on John.

I Got my BEB's from RADD Cruisers last week, but have been unable to get on their website this week. Do they have good prices on the Axle seals and bearings?

Hard to fit the 54mm on with this nic out of the nut.
1986FJ70011.jpg

Window caulking over everything
1986FJ70016.jpg

1986FJ70005.jpg

Needs an alignment! Wearing the insides of the tires lots, and wanders hard.
1986FJ70018.jpg

1986FJ70012.jpg

Grab some Marlin Crawler inner seals while you're at it. Save opening it up again... Just give your CC to Radd and you'll be OK.

I installed a new alternator today; it was a 140amp high output Tercel Alt. All my dash light work properly again :), I still have no radio/ dome or clock, but I figure after a good drive, it should give it a good charge.
I also installed my Tacoma's old offroad tires and rims (BFG All Terrain KO) at 265/75 16 on FJ rims. gave it a slight lift and looks better, :D I still need to get an alignment soon, so I don't burn the rubber off my good tires.
HDJ81LandCruiser001.jpg

HDJ81LandCruiser005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom