My needed repairs. any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

also the truck has always ran cool. the thermostat goes from cold in the morning to half way between C and H and never goes above it even on the Drive stright from Las vegas to Tucson only stoping for fule and fluid lvl checks.

you cannot trust that gauge to show much less than severe overheating

yea I will get the referance mentioned above and some tools. I would be willing to spend the cash on a new RAD just to breath some new life into the turck and the alternator that is in the truck now it an aftermarket one non OEM I really want an OEM replacment.

You'd be better advised to find out what or if something is clogging your radiator. If it's casting sands or a coroding head gasket, you need to know that. Could be a waste of money to put in (and clog up) a new radiator if you have one of these problems. Pull the cap and look for sediment accumulation and plot a coarse from there.

If you can take things apart and put them back together with success, you can do a LOT of things on your truck. For the PHH though, I'd suggest having someone around who's done it talk you through it. A lot of it is working blind and it's a PITA to visualize what you're doing.

Yes, having someone around that's done it before would be nice (it turns about a 2 hour job into a 1/2 hour job), but with the write-ups on here, don't be scared off if you don't have someone around that's done it.

:beer:
Rookie2

Hard to be real accurate on price comps, since most of us DIY, but those numbers look pretty steep.

Have you been to the local cruiser meet? There are some locals that could do a better job of evaluating your rig than we can over the web and maybe willing to walk you through some of the repairs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=88675

1)Coolant hose from block to heater pipe is leaking coolent. Also, Radiator shows signs of restriction (possiable stop leak use). Recomened new radiator, thermostat, coolant bypass hose and a full coolant system flush with chemical and fresh water - $1050.

If it's not running hot, I would flush, change the hoses, thermostat, upgrade the fan clutch and/or fluid, then drive it and see how it performs. ~$200 and a half a day of pretty easy work.

2)alternator is weak with accessories on - $450 (includes replacing drive belts)..

Possibly just the brushes, belts and brushes ~$50 pretty easy work.

3)Valve cover gasket and distributor o-ring are leaking - $325 (includes replacing torn intake hose) .

All easy work, ~$100.

4)Power steering pump is wet - $400.

If it's not making noise the seal kit is ~$45 from the dealer or ~$15 from BAP Import Parts. Not a good job for a first time mechanic, but not hard if you have help. The first thing to check is the hose connections, maybe one is bad or loose?

5)Transfer case flange and speedo gear apper to be leaking - $250+.

The first thing to do here is replace the speedo o-ring, stupid simple to do and ~$2. Then clean it up and see if anything else is leaking bad enough to worry about.

6) rear main seal may be leaking - $650 but need to fix obvious leaks first.

Fit the other stuff and see if it's leaking bad enough to worry about.

If you have time, cruise up the Tempe on Sunday, we are having a club wrench'in day, GeoRoss is coming, so a Tucson caravan?:D

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=135620

3)Valve cover gasket and distributor o-ring are leaking - $325 (includes replacing torn intake hose)

If he's talking about the main intake tube... that suckers pretty pricey, north of $150 IIRC.

If he's talking about the main intake tube... that suckers pretty pricey, north of $150 IIRC.

:confused: IIRC the last one I got was ~$75?

:confused: IIRC the last one I got was ~$75?

That is what I paid awhile back through Dan.

Baran,

I have to replace the speedo-gear o-ring on my TC as well. Much of this stuff is shouldn't be hard to do, my problem is having a comfortable place to work.

You should consider coming up to Tempe on Sunday to get another opinion and meet the Phoenix folks.

Ross

Thanks Ross! I might be able to make it up there this sunday! What time and where do you usualy meet in Tempe.

Baran,

Maybe I missed it but did you take the 80 to another shop (or two) for a check to compare results? I think it would be worth your time to get a second/third/fourth opinion on what needs to be done. If they all match up with what needs to be done, great. If not then you can go from there.

The advantage of doing stuff yourself (which like you I'm not able to do yet either) is that you can decide what needs to be replaced while you're "in there". Like the speedo gear 'o-ring' vs the entire cable etc.

A fact of life for some of us though is that we don't have the time, ability, tools, space, whatever to do stuff ourselves. The challenge then becomes finding someone reputable that can do the work for you.

If you've got skills to trade (you build computers right?) then one solution might be trading work for work...Maybe a local cruiserhead would be willing to wrench on your rig and show you the ropes in exchange for having a computer built or worked on :)

Thanks for the reply corsair. I would love to be able to build someone a PC or better yet show someone how to as part of a trade.

I was going to Cruise ;) up to tempe but I don't want to the PHH blow on the way there so a friend of mine who made his living as and HVAC tech for the past 20 years has assured me that all the stuff on my list he can show me how to do and walk me through it. He has tools and a garage so I just supply some beer and a FSM. though he has never worked on a land cruiser he has a 2005 toyota pick up and has done tones of work on explorers and broncos that he has owned in the past.

I went online looking for a replacment rad I came across this. http://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...Row+Replacement&part_id=39049&aaia_id=1276679

Would this be as good as an OEM? the site claims it will be.

Once I get my 80 trail worthy I would like to get together for a trail drive or what ever the lingo is.

As an old mech, I need to wonder. Are they playing you? How well do you know this mechanic? You may be well advised to get a second opinion.
There is nothing as obvious as "you need shocks", but I wonder.
Mech's need to play "CYA" just as the rest of us do. They don't take chances. CYA can cost you a lot of money.
Doctors, lawyers and accountants have to CYA, and so do mechanics. There are some jerks who will take advantage if we don't. Covering his ass is not the same as covering your ass. You drive the truck, and it is your decision.
You need to evaluate the real need for the things that they suggest and your ability to do some of it yourself. He may not even suggest some of the most important things such as axle maintenance, that could cost you a lot in the long run. Those jobs are too hard for some mechanics to take on.
Look on MUD for a factory service manual to guide you. We have them. Talk with other cruiserheads and learn. You might even buy some tools and try some things on your own. There is no person who you can trust more than yourself, if you know what you are doing. We are here to help.

WoW Brian great post and much thanks for it !! i will be trying to do most of the things mentioned with the help of a good friend and this fourm. I think this will help me learn and my bro has offered his Garage and experiance along with tool.

With his help and this fourm I feel that I'm ready to start taking care of the great rig.

Thanks again for the post!

How many miles on this one??

DougM

Hey Baran,

I would recommend talking to Bill at Bill's Toy Shop. He used to be in Tucson, but has since moved to Silver City NM (a scenic three hour drive from Tucson). He is the most honest and competent mechanic I've ever met....and he works almost exclusively on LC's. He seen me through one FJ40, four FJ60's, and an 80. Many of his clients, including me, make the drive because he is so good.

I'm sure he would be happy to chat with you about what you have going on and give you some direction/advice.

Once again, I can't say enough good things about Bill. No affiliation. Drop me a PM and I'll give you his cell number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom