my name is d'oh, and I have a candy-ass tail pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a tail pipe that is really small, and goes straight out the back. The service records from the PO at one point have a mechanic's notes that say "tail pipe too small."

Is this more of a performance issue or more of a cosmetic issue? If the latter, I'll probably wait or not get it fixed, even though it does look a little goofy. Thanks.

Any exhaust 'choke point' can cause performance loss. Generally you want exhaust gasses to pass through as easy as possiable, otherwise the back pressure on the exhaust system will hinder your truck.

Is it too small all the way from the header back, or just from the muffler cannister?

d'oh said:
I've got a tail pipe that is really small ...

Another newbie sharing his personal problems in tech. hehe :D

Seriously like Doc said, if it's just from the can back its ok. The stock exhaust tailpipe wasn't real big to begin with. If you've got a small diameter exhaust all the way back, you really can't go wrong with the stock assembly if you replace it. It's pretty inexpensive even from a dealer and if you let them put it on you've got a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that. I ordered mine from my local dealer parts guy with a nice 20% discount, then I went over and told the service manager that I found out after the fact that they would only warranty the pipe lifetime if they installed it. I talked the manager into doing it for 1/2 hour labor. Pretty good deal even though I was planning on doing it myself.

whats the diameter? and ooh this gave me an idea for the best mods under $50 thread

Tail pipe diameter is two inches (kicking myself for inviting the inevitable...), but the can is under the driver's side back seat so there's at least three feet of two inch pipe snaking (goes up and down to get around lift and rear axle) from the can back to the rear. Think it's worth replacing? What type of symptoms/performance loss does a choke point cause? Thanks again, this forum (support group?) is awesome.

I think the stock one less than 2 inches. 2.5" is the max you'd want to go with a 2F. 2.25" works fine. If your truck has "performance issues", I don't think the tail pipe is the problem.

Pipe may be 1.75; I just put a ruler up next to it and it was a hair under 2 on the outside. I'm just wondering why the PO's mechanic noted on his records that it needed replacing if stock is under 2; I actually talked to the mechanic before I bought the truck and he didn't seem like the kind of guy that would do unnecessary work to run up the bill.

Also, any preference on venting straight out the back as opposed to out the driver's side? I will occasionally have a dog riding in the way back. Thanks again.

The stock location is straight out the back. I you have reason to drive with the window open, it sucks the exhaust right in. Its also easy to squash the tail pipe between a rock and the bumper. I moved my outlet to right behind the wheel. The tip has some small dents in it but is much hard to damage than the stock location. Much less exhaust is drawn inside when the window is open with the side exit.

Hey 60wag, why would exhaust going out the rear of the vehicle be more likely to come in the windows rather than from behind the rear wheel exiting to the side? I'm not doubting, but it just doesn't make sense. I have a bad odor from my cat that I get when stopped with the windows down and I'm 100% stock w/ the exhaust. You're saying a simple elbow to route it behind the driver's rear wheel would help?

When stopped, there shouldn't be a big difference but when your're moving the air pressure behind the vehicle os the lowest. Its not really a vacuum but the moving vehicle creates a low pressure zone. That's why the rear window is so filthy when the roads are wet - the spray gets sucked there. Dumping the exhaust in there keeps it there and can allow some of it to leak into the truck if the door/windows aren't really tight. Dumping the exhaust near the wheel is a higher pressure area and tends to disperse it better than in back. When its really cold outside, watch the flow of exhaust vapors on different vehicles in traffic. You can see the differences. BTW that's also why the heater intake is at the base of the windshield - its one of the higher pressure areas and allows for good ventilation even if the blower is off.

Close.... I've got the Manfre bolt on exhaust including the cat. The rear section of their setup has the exhaust exit very close to the rear bumper but on the side. I couldn't get the rear section to fit to my liking so I left it off and put a 45 deg bend on instead. It behind the tire, pretty close to the body.

I'm adding that to the 'to-do' list for the 60. Hopefully with a small mod like that I can save a few more brain cells a week and breathe a little better too. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom