My name is Brandon... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting, so the A442 has a metal inspection cover. My inspection hole looks like this one but this guy is missing his plastic cover.

View attachment 1801432

I'll have to revist this because I don't remember that shape in that location. What I'm thinking is that fairly clean area below where you circled.

093FC58E-389E-4C07-A534-7DDC852E69CF.jpeg
Interesting, so the A442 has a metal inspection cover. My inspection hole looks like this one but this guy is missing his plastic cover.

My memory isn’t shot yet. It is how I remember it. Also, the 3FE should be mated to an A440F from the factory? Is this a key ID feature for the A440F?

i thought 3fe 80 and pre 95 FZJ had the A442 then it switched to the A343 when it went to OBDII (among other changes)? <cringe, lurk>

(i'm sure i just angered the toyota gods hacking numbers, but...)

Ahhh yes, you have a 3FE <cough, cough> and a A440F. That makes sense and I don't know anything about their oil pan scenario. The mighty 1FZFE has two oil pans; the upper and lower. The upper one is a royal PITA to remove. I reckon it's time to just bite the bullet and grab an entire 1FZFE+A443F+Tcase+ECU and slap that puppy in. There, solved it for ya . It'll be like a rocket ship comparatively. :rofl:

Oil pan on a 3FE is one piece. Same part as a 2F.

Welcome, Brandon! I’m fairly new to the group as well. I too have a 5th gen 4R, she’s my baby. I’m considering getting an older 4R...1st gen perhaps, but these guys are trying to convince me to get a land cruiser...we’ll see lol. Hopefully you’ll be at the next meeting!

~Liz

It'll be like a rocket ship comparatively. :rofl:

The 4Runner is for going "fast." I can't be trusted with speed. Also, I stared down the barrel of an LC swap project. Let's just say my LC cost about $10K, and I am thankful to have absolved myself of the other nightmare.

Welcome, Brandon! I’m fairly new to the group as well. I too have a 5th gen 4R, she’s my baby. I’m considering getting an older 4R...1st gen perhaps, but these guys are trying to convince me to get a land cruiser...we’ll see lol. Hopefully you’ll be at the next meeting!

~Liz

I do love my 4Runner, but I am a tinkerer. The land cruiser suits my needs well, and they are awesome!

Does anyone want a set of damage multipliers?

Also, I finally sorted out my previously undisclosed lack of muffler sorted out. Now the cross over is sitting on the yoke. Turns out one of my other brackets is toast. Does anyone have one of these brackets handy?
4EA09A6C-3571-42FC-9797-B470511F8211.jpeg

EC57D4FC-A7FD-48D6-B07B-6012D050D932.jpeg

This is probably a good time to mention the "Mud" discount at American Toyota - it's at Alameda at I-25 on the north side of town.

Generally, if you mention the IH8MUD discount, they will give you a 25% discount off the list price for most any Toyota part - not just for Land Cruisers. There may be some limitations, but I haven't run across anything that they haven't covered yet.

You could also try to find one of your brackets in a junkyard, but you could be looking for a while. Fabrication is another option, but I would check with American. We owe the discount to "Cruiser Dan" - one of our members who has moved to Utah and is now curator of the Land Cruiser Museum near Salt Lake City.

You might take a picture of your bracket with you to help explain what you are looking for.

Good luck!

PS - be careful what time of day you go over there during the Balloon Fiesta from 10/6 through 10/14. Middle of the day would be best to avoid balloon traffic. American is fairly close to the balloon field and you don't want to get into that if you can help it.

And another guy to look up is @beno. There isn't any special pricing but his knowledge and ability to source hard to find parts is priceless.

This is probably a good time to mention the "Mud" discount at American Toyota - it's at Alameda at I-25 on the north side of town.

Yeah, That's my preferred stealership in town. The CFO bought her TRD Pro Tundra there, and that's where I got the 4R. I've always had really good luck working with their parts and service people. They even printed out a few sheets of the FSM for me before I found out about Trollhole's cache of data.

I'm going to pay a visit to what was formerly my basket case (1991 3FE), and see what I can get off it that. The current owner plans to turn it into a rock rig, so I get to pick at it for a while. Hopefully, he didn't hack on that bracket when he sawed the engine out of it. The rust will be a completely different finesse.

And another guy to look up is @beno. There isn't any special pricing but his knowledge and ability to source hard to find parts is priceless.

Good to know. Thanks!

for rust... 50/50 acetone and ATF rivals kroil... fyi.

for rust... 50/50 acetone and ATF rivals kroil... fyi.

Good to know! So far, I haven't had any issues. There was a little resistance to those bolts turning, but a little PB Blaster cured it. It was a fairly successful weekend. I got really good at R&Ring the radius arms.

Has anyone else every scraped a pound of dirt out of the air filter housing because the debris trap wasn’t properly mounted?

DCF62F66-B967-43D8-B96F-D226EB1520A4.jpeg

New plugs too!

561E4F11-55F8-4540-B309-4DA74B8A1606.jpeg

You checked the tuna can as well, right?
Tuna can wasn’t attached. It was trapped against the fender. Lucky day!

Glad you didn't lose it.

So, I’ve wandered down a rabbit hole trying to solve a knock. Originally, I assumed it to be a bottom end issue. It knocks when the transmission is I park, drive, reverse, etc. It does not knock in neutral. Due to the silence in neutral I started looking for something else. The sway bar and driveshaft were rubbing and flats were mashed into the drive shaft. I lowered the truck to a 2” lift. The knock persists. What could cause a knock in park, but not neutral? The motor rotates under both condition. Does the transmission and driveline add enough load to the motor to make the rotating assembly to knock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom