My misc restoration ramblings/questions thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He left me this present, anybody ever seen one of these tools before?

For adjusting the valve lash! Very cool little deal. I hate juggling the feelers and a wrench and screwdriver. Is that a dealer SST? And where can I get one?

Last edited:
Learned a lesson the hard way today: test the fuel pump BEFORE you put the bed back on.

First step in my prep to fire the engine this morning was to jumper the fuel pump, check for leaks. Hmmm.. pump wouldn't run. Even if I ran a cord directly to the pump. Crap!

Rather than drop the tank and have to mess with unhooking all the hoses and stuff, I unbolted the passenger side of the bed and the fill hose, jacked the bed up sideways. Pulled the pump, found it "stuck", but all I had to do was pull off the sock and spin the impellor with a sharp pick, then it ran just fine. Still.... not sure I trust it now so I put in one of my spares.

Finally got it back together, tested for fuel leaks, filled with oil, checked the valves. Worked up the courage, turned the key. It took a few tries, but she started! Yayyy!!!

Runs a little rough, and there's a vacuum leak back by the EGR somewhere, funny high pitched whistle. Minor coolant leak at one of the heater hoses, probably just need to tighten the clamp.

Overall I'm a happy camper.

Learned a lesson the hard way today: test the fuel pump BEFORE you put the bed back on.

First step in my prep to fire the engine this morning was to jumper the fuel pump, check for leaks. Hmmm.. pump wouldn't run. Even if I ran a cord directly to the pump. Crap!

Rather than drop the tank and have to mess with unhooking all the hoses and stuff, I unbolted the passenger side of the bed and the fill hose, jacked the bed up sideways. Pulled the pump, found it "stuck", but all I had to do was pull off the sock and spin the impellor with a sharp pick, then it ran just fine. Still.... not sure I trust it now so I put in one of my spares.

Finally got it back together, tested for fuel leaks, filled with oil, checked the valves. Worked up the courage, turned the key. It took a few tries, but she started! Yayyy!!!

Runs a little rough, and there's a vacuum leak back by the EGR somewhere, funny high pitched whistle. Minor coolant leak at one of the heater hoses, probably just need to tighten the clamp.

Overall I'm a happy camper.

Lol
Congrats!
I felt the same way when i fired my rebuilt 60 motor a few months back. I started sweating with anxiety hoping all would be OK.

Ya, I've been kinda nervous about it, still not sure that it was the best move given that it's gonna sit outside now for a few months. I'll probably go out and fire it up a few times just to circulate the gas so it doesn't get gummed up.

Sure wish I could take it for a drive...

Ya, I've been kinda nervous about it, still not sure that it was the best move given that it's gonna sit outside now for a few months. I'll probably go out and fire it up a few times just to circulate the gas so it doesn't get gummed up.

Sure wish I could take it for a drive...

Yeah, same here. Except my 60 will sit in the garage all winter at first sign of cruiser kryptonite. I vowed never for it to hit the winter salt roads again after all the resto work i did for the last 5 years.
Dump some Sta-bil or Star tron stabilizer/ethanol treatment in and it will be fine.

I really can't make that commitment, actually this truck is intended to be my winter vehicle. As much as I love my car, it sucks in the snow. Yup, there's StaBil in the gas in it now, it's part of my generator stash.

5 years... wow and I thought I was taking a long time. Going into year #4 now, but it will be back on the road in the Spring. I think. I hope.

One thing I'm sure, I'll never do another project like this again. My eyesight is just not up to it anymore, and every day I spend in the garage, I wake up the next morning feeling like I was in a bar fight. :hillbilly:

I've been adding sound deadening insulation as I go along, last weekend we lined the outer skins of the doors before we installed all the parts (regulators, glass, locks, latches, handles, etc). I'm using Quiet Crap (from Cruiser Crap). It's easy to cut with a sharp knife and framing square, or good scissors. The stuff is pretty sticky, but it really sticks well if you hit it with a heat gun for a few minutes.

So far I have the roof, back wall, and firewall of the cab done. I've only done the outer skins of the doors, and I'm pretty impressed with how it has taken the "tinny" sound out of the doors when I shut them. Not a Lexus "thunk" yet, but I have a Dynamat Extreme Door Kit for the inner skins, and once I put the inner panels on, they should really feel much more solid.

Shhh.... Truck is sleeping... (hibernating)

ForumRunner_20131021_093049.jpg

ForumRunner_20131021_093049.jpg

Good Work.

I could not let it just sit with work to do on it. I would be tinkering on it all winter long.

Every day I spend in the garage, I wake up the next morning feeling like I was in a bar fight. :hillbilly:

I know I am too young to agree, but I know this feeling all too well. They make fun of me at work on Monday's because of all the groaning and moaning I do after a hard weekend of wrenching.

I can see the value of a post lift in my next shop...

I will hate coming home and seeing it like that every day, but I've put off too many other things, I need my life back. The tarp is only temporary for a couple more weeks until all the leaves are down. I also have some other "inside" things to do, that I can work on in the meantime.

I need to rebuild the harnesses for the doors, adding speaker wires but removing the mirror wires.

Some other parts that need to go to the powdercoater.

My winch is looking pretty old now, so it needs a total rebuild.

Need to decide about tires (hoping Santa will help with that), and I need to decide if I'm gonna have the wheels powdercoated.

Front grille is in need of the black stuff re-done.

And it goes on and on...

Looks good, can't believe your gonna drive it in the salty snow!!

Where'd you get that hood sticker .. nice!

I ordered it from Crawlorado:

http://crawlorado.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/category&path=62_64

Trevor is on Mud (user: Isotel), it was a little slow getting it, but I was in no hurry. Good quality product, the guy at the body shop that installed it for me said it was very high quality. Came shipped in a tube with instructions, a squeegee, and a nifty Crawlorado sticker.

Pretty much. I also decided not to re-install the chrome strip on the rain gutters, and the black trim on the door window frame, so it's just a lot or bright shiny red, so I wanted to tone it down some. I really like how it came out.

Looks good, can't believe your gonna drive it in the salty snow!!

Where'd you get that hood sticker .. nice!

That truck is beautiful! Great work! However, I agree with the above comment, really this is going to be a winter truck? That is truly sad given all the hard work you put into it. It would pain me to see the salt simply eat it away. Could you get a cheap winter beater?

Zack

Get a cheap pressure washer and just wash the salt off EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU DRIVE IT!! :mad: :D Or buy a beater Jeep - they're like sacrificial zincs - they're made to rust away and be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom