Builds My mini-truck buildup thread...'86, 38's, FJ80 front axle, etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I've been getting some requests to put a thread up on here about my mini-truck buildup. I thought I had started one, but apparently I didn't.

Basically my goal with this truck was to have a fairly economical "trail truck" that I could thrash without worrying about it. I wanted a truck that I could roll over and not care. I also wanted a truck that I could toss the keys to a buddy, let them tear it up, and really not give a crap. So, enter the $700 '86 Toyota Pickup. It's an '86 EFI/IFS 22RE powered Xtra cab w/ the auto tranny.

This is what I started with:

DSC00014.jpg

A buddy of mine had a set of 38x12.50 Bias TSLs that he wanted out from under his deck, so $400 later I had a set of tires and a call to summit later I had wheels. I removed the bed, and put the tires on(after we mounted them by hand. That was a BLAST :rolleyes: ) and this is what it looked like:

DSC00566.JPG

That was about all the progress I made for about 4 months. Late this summer I hauled the truck from my apartment parking lot at school to my garage in WV. Once there I decided to undertake the task of reparing the rust damage on the rear frame. After a bit of discussion and a few beers it was decided that the best method for repairing this damage was to cut the back half of the frame off.

So we did :D

ebebeb3-R1-022-9A.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

Next we fabbed up a set of new frame rails out of 2x4x.188 rectangular tubing. We mitred and bent them into shape(cut 3 sides of the tube, leaving the 4th intact). Once we had tacked them up and made sure they would fit and work to my liking, we pulled them back out and gussetted them.

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

Then we put them in and started mocking up the rear suspension:

IMG_0750.jpg

That's as far as I've gotten with the rear frame. I still need to weld the new pieces into the old frame and add a rear crossmember before I set the truck on its own weight.

I had 2 friends helping me out and it really only takes 1.5 people to do the work shown, so while I was fabbing and stuff my buddies gutted the interior and did a tune-up on the 22re. We discovered a bit of floor rot in the driver's side footwell, but it's not bad, and is definately fixable. Here's the interior post-gutting:

IMG_0741.jpg

That was done in preparation for a full interior cage and then a pair of these:

Picture%20002.jpg

The seats will be tied into the cage as will a set of 4-point harnesses.

Lastly, I picked up an FJ80 front axle from a guy in AZ. Gonna do the SAS in the coming weeks hopefully. Plans include at least hydro assist, more likely full-hydro due to the lack of hy-steer arms for the 80 axle and the difficulty of getting a draglink to the passenger's side knuckle through the leaf springs. Regardless of assist or full, a double-ended cylinder will be used and will most likely be located behind the axle(stock tie-rod location for the 80).

Picture%20001.jpg

Oh, and the axle came with these in it:

Picture%20010.jpg

Those are 4340 Chromo Longfields and Polyperformance inners. :D

That's as far as I've gotten to date. The truck has 4.88s in the rear w/ a welded carrier. The front axle came w/ 4.10s welded which will be swapped for 4.88s welded. So far I've got about $4000 in the truck with about $2k to go to get it completely setup the way I want functionally, but without any bling accessories.

Future plans include either a tranny swap from an XJ w/ a twin-sticked D300(can you say front digs? I thought you could :D ), OR a small block/SM465/D300 swap. That's still up in the air. Depends on if I can live w/ the 4cylinder(I tend to like the pedal on the right ;p ).

Anyway, I'm sure I've forgotten stuff, so feel free to question/comment.

Thanks for looking.

Ary

Cruiserhead05 said:
Arya,

Looks very nice. Cant wait to see it all done.

Nice welds too, are those yours?

Thanks Brandon.

Yes, the welds are mine. Done w/ a Miller 220 Stick machine. The rod used was a 1/8" 7018 baked to 300* in the oven before use(to remove the humidity they had no doubt acquired sitting in the basement). I've found this little trick VASTLY improves my welds, whether the rods have been in an overly humid environment or not. The drier the rods, the better the welds.

Ary

cruiserrg, I'm really not sure about the auto. I've never owned a vehicle w/ a manual although I've ALWAYS wanted one. On the other hand 'wheelin w/ an auto is so nice and smooth, especially for east coast style 'wheelin where you typically have to shift while in motion and you don't want to lose momentum. An auto tranny from an XJ(Jeep Cherokee) will bolt up to the 22re using the Toy auto's bellhousing(same tranny internally) and then I can put a D300 in. So, for about $500 I should be able to have a reliable auto(one in it now needs a rebuild) w/ a beefy t-case and front dig capabilities. On the other hand I can swap in a toy manual/t-case and then have the ability to do dual cases. For now I'm just gonna get it up and running and then go from there as I pay down the VISA bill ;p

74fj40, the chromo longfields were in the FJ80 axle when I bought it. I bought the axle complete w/ a spare set of stock inners for $1350 shipped from AZ. They list on Longfield's site for $325 a piece though.

Ary

Learn something every day. I wasn't aware an XJ trans bolted up. What model designation is that auto...its not a Torque flight is it (727 or 904)? I'm too lazy to search the interweb to look. The Dana300 is a nice x-fer case and can be upgraded with some tuff parts.

The XJ trans is the AW4. I've not heard of anyone actually having completed the swap, but Jim at Inchworm promises me it will work. It does require the bellhousing from the Toyota tranny like I said before. Another interesting fact is that this tranny(in both the Toy and Jeep versions) can be converted to get rid of the computer and all you have left is a rotary knob for shifting. So basically you drive it like a manual, except instead of a clutch and gear lever, to shift, you turn a knob.

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
... Another interesting fact is that this tranny(in both the Toy and Jeep versions) can be converted to get rid of the computer and all you have left is a rotary knob for shifting. So basically you drive it like a manual, except instead of a clutch and gear lever, to shift, you turn a knob.

Ary

I am thinking about a pair of switches on the steering wheel, click one it up shifts, the other and it down shifts.

Tools R Us said:
I am thinking about a pair of switches on the steering wheel, click one it up shifts, the other and it down shifts.

He's working on that ;) :D

He's also working on an "H" pattern shifter. The paddle shifters on the wheel are my personal favorite though.

I'm pushing him to get the paddles done, 'cause I think they'd be awesome.

Well, I got the front 3rd member built tonight w/ a good buddy's help. We swapped the stock 4.10s to Yukon 4.88s. The carrier was already welded, but we added some bling in the form of a solid spacer(instead of a crush sleeve) and one of Marlin's triple drilled pinion flanges. We set her up good and tight. Backlash was right around .007, and the pattern was beautiful(sorry no camera).

Planning to haul all the junk I've accumulated lately up to snowshoe this weekend, and get to work. I've got the next week off, so hopefully some progress will be made. I'd like to get the rear frame finished and the front axle hung, but I'm not getting my hopes up, since I'll be working alone for the most part.

Ary

WOAH!!! look at the times you posted!! the laqst post before yours is 10-17-05 at 11:47PM and what you just posted was 11-17-05 at 11:39PM almost exactly a month apart

Very cool buildup. Your welds are impressive!

Rascal said:
How's it coming?

Slowly. :frown:

Got the rear frame finished for the most part. Still need to put a gas tank back in, and plumb the tank and brakes, but the truck is sitting on its own weight and it's all welded. I forgot to take pics :doh:

That was about all I got done. I had to do a front brake job on the cruiser which should have been a 1-2 hour job at most(was putting new rotors on) and it ended up taking 5 :eek: That was the only day I had left after finishing the frame that I wasn't spending with family or skiing, so no more progress on the mini-truck was made.

I'll be up there again in a few weeks after finals when I can focus on the truck and not worry about school.

Ary

Cool well dont forget pics then. What type of bed are you going with? Very interesting that you went with w 80 axle. cant wait to see more pics! Good luck with Finals!!!!

Arya Ebrahimi said:
wow, I really haven't made any progress in a month!? That's kinda depressing. Thanks for pointing that out :flipoff2: :D

Ary

I just realized I haven't made any progress in at least that long either, time to get back into the garage.

Great project, I want to do the same thing after I finish my 40. Those are really sweet welds, they look better than my TIG welds :flipoff2:

You know that Virginia Tech doormat is symbolism for how you all will be treated in the Gator Bowl. Go CARDS!!!

Just joking, (not really), but nice work on the project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom