My Metal Tech Cage is shipping today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just wondering if anyone who has installed a MT full cage with the seat hanger add on can tell me about how long the fit up, tack together and full welding took, can it be done in a weekend or 2 weekends? Is there anything different from the directions that I should know about? What types of tools or such should I have on hand to assist with the weld up?

Thanks for the advice

Are you a welder? Have you ever struck an arc before?

Have you ever done this type of work before?

your gonna need a notcher, i would plan on 2 weekends, again what expeirience do you have? youll need a welder too

Are you a welder? Have you ever struck an arc before?

Have you ever done this type of work before?

These are important questions. Unless you are an experienced welder, this work is best left for somebody that knows what they're doing.

For me, it took awhile. I'm not a professional welder by any means, but I do okay. The notching and fitting is what takes the time. I used an angle grinder because I had one and I'm too cheap to buy a notcher. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a notcher. That was a butt load of notching with an angle grinder. Once it is in the right shape and tacked, the final welding is no biggie. By myself, I'd say it easily took 10 full hours of putting it together and fitting it exactly how I wanted it. The final welding was maybe an hour.

Like others said, if you're not a good welder, this is something better left to someone that knows what they are doing. Welding tubing (and all the complex angles involved) is way different/tougher than butt welding sheet metal or bumpers.

:cheers:

When you think what that cage is for, Do you really want to take a chance on a first time project ???:hmm: As for me, I would rather put out the money, And know I spent my money well. Good Luck.

For me, it took awhile. I'm not a professional welder by any means, but I do okay. The notching and fitting is what takes the time. I used an angle grinder because I had one and I'm too cheap to buy a notcher. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a notcher. That was a butt load of notching with an angle grinder. Once it is in the right shape and tacked, the final welding is no biggie. By myself, I'd say it easily took 10 full hours of putting it together and fitting it exactly how I wanted it. The final welding was maybe an hour.

Like others said, if you're not a good welder, this is something better left to someone that knows what they are doing. Welding tubing (and all the complex angles involved) is way different/tougher than butt welding sheet metal or bumpers.

If we're only talking about an hour or two of welding, I'd notch it, tack it together, and then drive the to a welder.:D

I can stick weld, gas weld, braze, and mig... But I'm not a welder. So when it came to welding in my motor mounts for my 350 conversion, I consulted with the welder, had it all ready, and then paid him his $55/hour. :D When the dust settled it cost me $60 to have the mounts welded in by a guy who builds race cars.

Excellent advice, Bikersmurf. When I get my cage, that's exactly what I'll do.

The notcher at Horrible Freight is cheap and will do one cage at least. We have done several with the same notcher. Makes life much easier.

No, I'm not a welder, I'm just now learning, but I had no intensions of doing the cage welding myself. I have 2 neighbors who weld and have thought about using them to get it tacked up, (but with basketball and soccer they may only be available for 3-4 hours a weekend).... at which point I would, as someone mentioned, take it someplace to get welded.

My reason for asking about the tools is that I want to have on hand what is needed to get the tack up down, as well as have tools for later projects once I learn how to weld better. Most of my training will happen on my trailer for simple things like brackets and such, but your right, I'm leaving the cage to a professional.

The notcher sounds like a plan, so I will go ahead and get one

Thanks for the advice and suggestions

Notcher, angle grinder, chop saw (or at least sawzall), level, sharpies, eye and ear protection, a buddy to help hold and eyeball stuff...

Notcher, angle grinder, chop saw (or at least sawzall), level, sharpies, eye and ear protection, a buddy to help hold and eyeball stuff...

A few ratchet straps are also helpful for keeping things held together until you tack them in.

No, I'm not a welder, I'm just now learning, but I had no intensions of doing the cage welding myself. I have 2 neighbors who weld and have thought about using them to get it tacked up, (but with basketball and soccer they may only be available for 3-4 hours a weekend).... at which point I would, as someone mentioned, take it someplace to get welded.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions

Sounds like a good plan. Like I said before, the majority of the work is fitting it together. If you can do that, you will save yourself a lot of money. A good welder can finish weld it in no time at all.

Good luck! :cheers:

It took me about 2 or 3 weekends to do mine. I used a chop saw and a angle grinder. Go to metal geek website adn look for (tube coping calc) and you can find a pdf file that you type in the the angle size of tube to notch and size it will fit and prints out a patteren on a sheet of paper cut it out and wrap around pipe and cut by far the best thing ever. I will try and find the link. I had a pro weld my cage not something to go cheap on it was lonly like 170.00 well worth the piece of mind.

Last edited:
Thaks for all the info. I contacted a local guy who does custom welding and has done cages before. He quoted me about $250 to do everything including the frame tie in's. He also gave me a quote of about $500 to do the whole thing, instead of just finish welding. I guess I could go either way, as the cost in tools would make up the extra $250, but I like the idea of having the tool for later use, so I may just buy the JD2 notcher and a grinder and do the tack up with neighbors.

I bought a small welder last night, (gotta love Amazon Prime), it will be here Saturday; we bought a Hobart 140, it's a smaller machine and only capable of 1/4" but it's a household plug in and will be easier to bring around to other friends houses without having to run it into someones dryer outlet.

I'm planning on usig that and the trailer we bought to learn some welding, but as ya'll suggested, the cage will be welded by someone who kows what they are doing.

Is the JD2 notcher overkill or should I buy a cheaper notcher?

Last edited:
The advantage to tacking up yourself is that you can place every tube exactly where you want it. If the welder does it, you'll get what he creates... Could be awesome, or not exactly what you wanted.

There are inevitably some compromises in where tubes are positioned. Comfort... Ease of getting in...:D

is the need to buy some 2" PVC and test fitting the smaller notched pieces required when fitting everything up? Or do you hold the notched side to where it's going and just lay the other side off to one side or the other of the hoop it's going to get welded to and mark a centerline?

I am very disappointed to here this cage needs to be notched by the consumer. For the money they charge it should come pre notched and fit together.

Yes the metal geek prints out the patteren you need just cut out patteren and tape on tube and trace with chalk and cut out with grinder. You will need to find the center of the tube on both sides and mark. I would not waste my money on a notcher just for a cage you can do just as good with a little time and patience. All depends on how much your time is worth. I have more time than money so was a easy choice for me. To make a 90 with 2" tube set your saw at 30degrees and cut on your center lines on both sides and clean up with grinder and your done. Not sure if this violets some forum rule but check out www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist/Links shows you how to notch with a chop saw.

hello,
i am a welder and fabricator... and have taught people to weld.. and just would like to say that if you do take it to have someone weld it for you... maybe consult them first... some things like the base plates for the cage and grab handles would be easier to weld on before tacking the cage together... and depending on the skill level of the welder he might not be that great at doing vertical welds and you sure dont want to look at poo welds ever time you get into your cruiser...
and when you do tack the cage together... make sure you burn the tacks in so it doesnt fall apart or out square when welding..

just my $.02 cents...
cheers adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom