My LQ9 Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 8 months of driving my lq9 cruiser, I thought I would give my impressions.

When I first bought the vehicle in Boise back in 2013, it developed a light rod knock on the way home, and continued to get worse over the time I had it. After reading threads about not passing emissions, doubt to whether parts will be available for the 1fze for the near future, and a general disappointment in power the engine provided, I wanted an LS swap.

I wanted to do a Proffitt's LS swap since they were local, but they shut down. So I contacted Rockjock82 and asked him about doing a 5.3 swap. He convinced me to do a Lq9 swap, so I got the engine out of his cruiser.

I left my cruiser down there and this is what I got.
20150704_150716.jpg

At first I want to use my stock radiator, but that was a no go. Jonathan had me contact Mike at Steel Nutz in Fontana to fab up a radiator. Mike was awesome to deal with, he said to give him a month, and it took a month to get it to Jonathan's door. Radiator is HUGE. I am running 2 14" spal fans instead of a mechanical fan.
20150704_150623.jpg
For exhaust, I have a 2 1/2" in to a 3" out with a 18" magnaflow.
20150704_150023.jpg

One issue was the front drive shaft would contact the trans oil pan, so Jonathan put on a Slee 4" lift. I also ordered a Taton double cardon front drive shaft from Tatton in West Valley. Here you can see were the driveshaft would touch without the lift.
20150704_150242.jpg

Here is how the cruiser sits today
20141028_154651.jpg

I am very satisfied with the swap. I was all smiles and giggles on the way back to Utah. The power is awesome; loved racing it from stoplight to stoplight, and the ability to pass, up a grade is satisfying. Even with a 6.0, I'm getting a little bit better economy than the stock 1fze. I would get around 14 mpg with the 1fze down to Arizona, and 16 mpg back to Utah. I am getting 15 mpg combined today.

The downside is this power is addicting. With larger tires, I want to regear to get that power back. It also gets hot in the transmission tunnel, so I'm contemplating putting down sound deadener when I redo the interior.

If you have the funds, I highly recommend doing a LS swap.

So why did RockJock take that LQ9 out of his cruiser?
Because I can :D. It's not boredom just inquisitive of different options. Eventually I may even try boosting a 1fz or LS motor in an 80.

Glad you are enjoying it Luke!

After 8 months of driving my lq9 cruiser, I thought I would give my impressions.

When I first bought the vehicle in Boise back in 2013, it developed a light rod knock on the way home, and continued to get worse over the time I had it. After reading threads about not passing emissions, doubt to whether parts will be available for the 1fze for the near future, and a general disappointment in power the engine provided, I wanted an LS swap.

I wanted to do a Proffitt's LS swap since they were local, but they shut down. So I contacted Rockjock82 and asked him about doing a 5.3 swap. He convinced me to do a Lq9 swap, so I got the engine out of his cruiser.

I left my cruiser down there and this is what I got.View attachment 1102224
At first I want to use my stock radiator, but that was a no go. Jonathan had me contact Mike at Steel Nutz in Fontana to fab up a radiator. Mike was awesome to deal with, he said to give him a month, and it took a month to get it to Jonathan's door. Radiator is HUGE. I am running 2 14" spal fans instead of a mechanical fan. View attachment 1102227 For exhaust, I have a 2 1/2" in to a 3" out with a 18" magnaflow.View attachment 1102229
One issue was the front drive shaft would contact the trans oil pan, so Jonathan put on a Slee 4" lift. I also ordered a Taton double cardon front drive shaft from Tatton in West Valley. Here you can see were the driveshaft would touch without the lift.
View attachment 1102233
Here is how the cruiser sits today
View attachment 1102236

I am very satisfied with the swap. I was all smiles and giggles on the way back to Utah. The power is awesome; loved racing it from stoplight to stoplight, and the ability to pass, up a grade is satisfying. Even with a 6.0, I'm getting a little bit better economy than the stock 1fze. I would get around 14 mpg with the 1fze down to Arizona, and 16 mpg back to Utah. I am getting 15 mpg combined today.

The downside is this power is addicting. With larger tires, I want to regear to get that power back. It also gets hot in the transmission tunnel, so I'm contemplating putting down sound deadener when I redo the interior.

If you have the funds, I highly recommend doing a LS swap.

One note to recognize also is when you drove it down to AZ it was not lifted and has the stock tires.

Adding some insulation to the tunnel will help with the extra heat.

I just figured you would sell the rig intact with that motor and start all over with a new candidate for the Cummings.

I just figured you would sell the rig intact with that motor and start all over with a new candidate for the Cummings.
Yeah that would make sense right? But I am partial to my Lexus haha..

I understand. I parted my running driving jeep to keep bits and pieces of it. Sometimes.it just cost more to replace the sameparts.for the rest of the vehicle. The engine is just a small part of the whole vehicle

you should put up how much it cost you.... these kinds of reviews are useless without having a number to ponder...

Feel free to contact any of the mud vendors for pricing information. It's a lot of work involved, and pricing reflects that.

What mud vendor is involved with this swap? Or did I miss something?

I hope my LQ9 runs good as yours, I just put the heads on today, the rest to follow this week.
Then maybe a test fit?.....

I'm in at about $6500 engine, trans, and adapters, and some transfer case parts. Deduct $2100 for a full engine rebuild. So really $4500 +/-. Still need a harness, fuel pump, and exhaust, + all the nickel and dime parts = another $3500 +/-? So all in parts, $7500+/-, labor for me is free, not so much for others. I will walk away with a new engine in the end. Hope it's worth it....

Last edited:
I took my cruiser to Rockjock82.

I think its awesome that you are able to work on your own rig. I lack the mechanical intuition, know how, tools, space and time to do something of this magnitude. I hope your cruiser turns out the way you want it.

Is there clearance between the axle and oilpan to run a smaller lift?

Are you running adjustable panhards?

I assume not having the axle centered would impact driveshaft to trans pan clearance..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom