My lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys , I was wondering how long it takes to en-gauge the factory lockers on my 96 lx 450.
I was playing around the my new toy but they did not want to en-gauged ... I even took a look inside the rear locker asembly ...it was clean and very dry , same for the cover with the armiture ...it looked like it was never use .
I would put the truck in low and I could hear the relay for the center click , but then I would rotate the diff selector ...I would get a flashing from the dash ...but no clicking from either the front selection or the rear.
Should I hear a click like I do when I lock my center ...?
I checked the one 30amp fuse ...it was fine .
Any thing else I can try .
Thanks guys
Greg

I'd recommend 'testing' your lockers on some crappy terrain (gravel, dirt road, rutty stuff etc.). Testing on blacktop might cause binding in the diff., which is something that you'd rather not deal with.

With your center diff in "low", turn the dial to "RR"...the light will flash until the locker is engaged, at which point it will turn to a solid light. You might need to turn your steering wheel a bit, while pressing on the gas just ever so lightly. Basically, to get a few feet of movement. Same with the front's engaged too. You should hear a click, yes, both on activation and deactivation.

Have fun. :cheers:
-onur
Akron, OH

Re:lockers

I had the cover off the soliniod and clock spring cover off they are like new ... the truck was in south FL ... basiclly used for street use only ... never worked a day in it's life ... this thing is like new .
I don't know if the control relays could have went bad , should I beable to hear the relay in the cab en-gauge...?
Thanks
Greg

I know if i don't use mine for a while - they can take a while to lock - so every now and then, I take a short drive down to the beach and basically drive figure 8's till they lock in place. After that they lock up quickly and reliably.

I had the same problem when I got the truck - everything was fine - they just needed some work!

if the lockers have not been engaged for a long time (or ever), it might take a while for them to engage.

find some loose surface road or dirt lot, as beno suggested, then engage the rear locker and drive slowly in a circle or a figure-eight. Assuming the surface that you're driving on is loose enough to allow for some tire spin, the locker should engage.

My lockers engage almost immediately after I engage them and move (or allow the tires to spin a little) -- but I use mine quite regularly.

NorCalDoug said:
then engage the rear locker and drive slowly in a circle or a figure-eight.

are not better drive in straight line .. until the lockers are properly engaged and after that do the test in circle .. ?

Or you mean drive in a circle after the rear locker are engaged .. ? :frown:

Re : lockers

Hi Guys ...I am glad to report that there working ... My guess is they have never been used ... they seem fine now ...WOW it's like my quad ...I cant beleave they would put such awsome option on my new toy ...LOL
I guess I should put a nice thin film of silicone around the areas of the electric solinoid and clock spring cover ... there like new inside .
Thanks again
Greg

Tapage said:
are not better drive in straight line .. until the lockers are properly engaged and after that do the test in circle .. ?

Doug is suggesting driving in a circle before the lockers engage (while the diff lock light is blinking) so that the axle shafts are travelling at different speeds and can align so the locker engages.

DirtyHarry said:
Doug is suggesting driving in a circle before the lockers engage (while the diff lock light is blinking) so that the axle shafts are travelling at different speeds and can align so the locker engages.

oohh .. ok now I'm underestand.

Thanks .. !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom