my living nightmare. valve cover gasket replacement turns into engine out job (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the support guys. I have finally got the valve covers cleaned up, painted, and all new gaskets and hardware.

IMG-9753.jpg

IMG-9751.jpg

IMG-9754.jpg

IMG-9755.jpg

Shiny new Exhaust Manifold and hardware
unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Still LOTS of parts to go on . Work is slow for me, because i have very little free time . I will check the steering rack bushings as well. I also bit the bullet and decided to replace the motor mounts as well, they are on order.
unnamed (2).jpg

Good job!

BTW: Have there been, documented reports, of transmission front seal failure?

Tip: I've developed a habit of resetting starter contacts, in remains. To often the re-builder does not set with enough pressure.
I havent seen any documentation of transmission seal failtures, but it's right there, and this is a 20 year old truck, so I say why not?
Did you find a single black bolt for the flex plate attachment to the torque converter? That is a special bolt (with an alignment shoulder) that should be the first bolt installed during reassembly.
Yes, i did. I am following the service manual with this job, i will make sure to install that one first with the torque converter .

Man, I feel for you. You seem to have been in that smallest-of-corner cases where metallurgy failed, and you couldn't have done much to affect it. Good job on the repair.

Shiny new Exhaust Manifold and hardware
View attachment 3336728
View attachment 3336729

Still LOTS of parts to go on . Work is slow for me, because i have very little free time . I will check the steering rack bushings as well. I also bit the bullet and decided to replace the motor mounts as well, they are on order.
View attachment 3336730

Don't want to sound like a nag, but I don't see tees in your new parts photo. In one of your previous photos I see 4-21 written on them, which makes me think that's when you last replaced, but in one of the photos it looks like the return tee may have a piece broken off it, see red circle. if those chunks end up in the cooling system they can be problematic. I backflushed a few tiny bits out of my rear heater core a couple weeks ago....had no idea they were in there from when I replaced my tees a few yrs ago.

Inkedlx6.jpg

I havent seen any documentation of transmission seal failtures, but it's right there, and this is a 20 year old truck, so I say why not?

I kinda regret not thinking about the transmission seal when I had my engine out. Now I smack myself on the head for not thinking of it, but glad you did. Cant hurt to replace it.

From the parts picture it looks like you have the engine oil cooler hoses to be replaced. Not a bad idea to pull the actual oil cooler and backflush it as well if you were not already planning to. Some have found pieces of FIPG or the heater tees in there. Recommend reinstalling that whole assembly and hoses before you reinstall the engine since it is a bear to do it after the fact (found that out first hand....).

Other than that the only topside thing you could consider would be replacing the fuel injector gaskets since if they are original, they are likely cracked.

I kinda regret not thinking about the transmission seal when I had my engine out. Now I smack myself on the head for not thinking of it, but glad you did. Cant hurt to replace it.

Why, is yours now leaking from front seal?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will be extending the Diff breather, i hadn't thought about that. Also my heater T 's were replaced in April 2021, so they are still in perfect shape, the picutre has some reflection which is why they look the way they do. As for backflushing the oil cooler, i did that as well, something I also hadn't thought of, but might as well! Thanks again for the suggestion. I dont have a ton of time to work on this, but I am making slow progress.
I decided not to do the timing belt as this one has just over 30K on it at the moment.

Did a new OEM PCV valve
All new OEM oil cooler hoses
New OEM motor mounts came in from Dubai (Thanks PARTSOUQ for saving me so much $$$ )

Next up will be rear main seal, and finish up the engine bay work, then she's going back in. I havent driven this truck since January

lx470_1.jpg

lx470_2.jpg

lx470_3.jpg

wow,
killin it!

The starter is just well protected! 🤣

Broken stud turns into engine out refresh, love these forums and the love the owners pour into these trucks.

Long overdue update, its been a busy summer. I did the rear main seal, transmission output shaft seal (very difficult- don't do this unless you have to!!)
The engine is ready to go back in the truck now. I am just waiting on my friend's scheule to clear up so I can have some help getting the engine back in. looking forward to having my 100 series back afer being down since January

57.jpg

56.jpg

49.jpg

Update" Making some big progress. I got all the engine work done, and plopped that bitch back in! As you can see, I positioned the engine hoist from the passenger side fender. this was done because the distance from the hoist's boom to where the engine's center was shorter from here due to the big ARB bumper, which I was trying not to remove. The engine actually went in on the 1st try, and with only minor wriggling, mated up to the transmission bellhousing.

Now begins the process of reconnecting everything. It look me longer than expected to re-route and figure out where all the wiring harnesses go, along with all the little brackets and fasteners that keep the engine wiring in place. that is now all done, and I am moving on the radiator. I went with the new CSF aluminum radiator, it really is a beautiful piece. I posted some close up shots of the welds.

Next up will the putting the intake manifold back on, reconnecting the exhaust, and firing it up! Fingers Crossed this will be back on the road in a couple of weeks or less.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom