my living nightmare. valve cover gasket replacement turns into engine out job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And now... for the exciting conclusion of the dumbest thread on Ih8mud. I dont care if you all make fun of me, i had to document this experience for two reasons- one to just let out my frustration, and two - in case anyone else has this same problem. I reflect on what I've learend or what I could have done differently , to prevent this. One thing that may have prevented this was spraying WD-40 or smiliar on the valve cover bolt holes from underneath before the job. I did this on the passenger side ones after the engine was out, and I had no drama on the passenger side. So I dont know what else I could have done to prevent the Driver Side valve Cover bolts from breaking. I took my time getting them out, and I was not using power tools. They were just probably just going to break, no matter what. To anyone reading this, spray ,spray, spray before you try this job.

Anyway - Final update: The job is done! the truck is back on the road and better than ever!

I got everything connected back up, and it fired right up. I did have one code, for oxygen sensor. I combed over the engine bay several times, looking for any connectors i missed. Cound't find any. It turns out I missed one of the 13 plugs that was behind the ECU in the glove box. So once I got that plugged back in, I have been code free. She runs wonderfully now, and zero leaks! The CSF Radiator is great, it cools extremely well. And now I have done all the Preventative Matinance for the next several years: Starter, Exh. Manifolds, every single coolant line, Alternator Brushes, Engine mounts, Rear Main seal, etc.

I only had to replace about 1/2 quart of ATWS fluid, and obiviously changed the oil after this job. (I did have to take the oil filter off to R&R the A/C Compressor)

I just want to thank those that supported me on this journey. I had no idea what I was getting into with this. I know that I could have just slapped some sort of clamp or something on it, but that just isnt good enough for me. Thanks for all those that read and provided suggestions, i really appreciate it.

THE END

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

Last edited:
Dude you're the man! Crazy job to take on but awesome that you got it done and love how thorough you were in the process. Cheers to many more years with your rig!

8 months ago I wanted you to put a clamp on it. Now I'm glad you didn't 🍻

Awesome work and documenting. I'm surprised that PS reservoir didn't make the list...;)

8 months ago I wanted you to put a clamp on it. Now I'm glad you didn't 🍻

Awesome work and documenting. I'm surprised that PS reservoir didn't make the list...;)
Definitely an awesome and thorough job. You’ve got a clean truck and a very PMd engine bay. 🍺 to many years of happy cruising.

I chimed in with the clamp fix while you were still figuring it out. Have put about 2k miles on it so far and no leaks yet 🤞
Each rig has its own story and yours will be good!

@excessive, completely insane thread, glad it's all back together and running better than ever. I pray I never have to go through what you went through because of a broke bolt. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom