My LC has turned into Christine....Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
***Emergency is over, but I still need advice, thanks!***

My wife just called and reported that she was driving in the neighborhood. All the lights on the dash came on, she pulled over and shut off the engine. She said it didn't shut off when she turned the key. She turned the key and drove it the 200 yards in to he school parking lot and shut it off. the engine stopped, but she could still hear the fan. She opened the hood and said that the engine was not running but the belts were spinning and so was the fan. Impossible???? What the heck? Fan clutch? I'm going home in a little bit to check it out, but this is weird!

Last edited:
YOu better hurry, your starter contacts are stuck and at the very least you will have a fried starter and battery, worst case a burned up truck. Tell her to start it and shut if off repeatedly until it quits making noise.

My wife just called and reported that she was driving in the neighborhood. All the lights on the dash came on, she pulled over and shut off the engine. She said it didn't shut off when she turned the key. She turned the key and drove it the 200 yards in to he school parking lot and shut it off. the engine stopped, but she could still hear the fan. She opened the hood and said that the engine was not running but the belts were spinning and so was the fan. Impossible???? What the heck? Fan clutch? I'm going home in a little bit to check it out, but this is weird!

The starter solenoid contacts stuck, remove a battery cable, NOW! Can cause a fire!:eek:

Whew! Fortunately she did that. She found a wrench I keep in the back for emergencies and took care of it. Good girl!

New starter from CDan then I suppose.

You guys rock by the way! Thanks for the fast responses! I'm going home now to take care of things. Thanks!

Last edited:
Depending on how long it ran, if it's not burned up, you can probably just replace the solenoid contacts and plunger.

Depending on how long it ran, if it's not burned up, you can probably just replace the solenoid contacts and plunger.

Thanks, that was my next question. I am home now and stopped off to check it out. My brand new belts show that they were running a little hot, but they are OK. She says that with the engine running it probably ran 3 minutes like that. With the engine off it probably ran another 1-2 minutes. Recognizing she was in panic mode, I'll give her a couple more minutes. So, let's say 5-7 minutes. What do you think? Just rebuild it, or buy rebuilt from CDan?

So, did you mean 'Solenoid contacts and plunger', or did you mean, 'Solenoid, contacts, and plunger.'?

If I need to replace the solenoid I may as well just get a new starter. If it's just the contacts I can do the rebuild. What say ye?

More info: She disconnected the negative cables from the battery clamp. When I touch the heavy gauge cable to the negative post, nothing happens. When I touch just the smaller cable to the post there is a clicking on the wheel well. There must be solenoid on the wheel well also? This is with the key off.

Good luck. Hope there was not too much damage. Is this why changing the starter contacts and plunger a PM job and to avoid this situation?

I only had a no start 4 times over about 3 or 4 days. Very little warning. So, yeah, probably a good PM idea. A lot of posters report that they have been having it for months, or at least more than 4 times, which made me think I had a little time to troubleshoot the symptoms. A no start could be solenoid, starter contacts, alarm interference, Neutral position sensor (wrong name), etc. I was going to troubleshoot this weekend. I guess I'll be working on it tonight or tomorrow instead.

WOW

Whew! Fortunately she did that. She found a wrench I keep in the back for emergencies and took care of it. Good girl!

New starter from CDan then I suppose.

My wife doesn't even know what a wrench is, let alone how to use it. You got a good woman there!

YES I DO! And I already let her know it! From now on I think I'll keep it in the battery tray though.

Anybody want to chime on whether they think I should get an new starter or rebuild this one?

Thanks, that was my next question. I am home now and stopped off to check it out. My brand new belts show that they were running a little hot, but they are OK. She says that with the engine running it probably ran 3 minutes like that. With the engine off it probably ran another 1-2 minutes. Recognizing she was in panic mode, I'll give her a couple more minutes. So, let's say 5-7 minutes. What do you think? Just rebuild it, or buy rebuilt from CDan?

My test would be, put the cable on lightly, start the motor, immediately turn off and disconnect the cable if needed, if it sticks again. If the starter turns, starts the motor without issue your probably good to go with just contacts and plunger. Call C-Dan, he will set you up with the proper contacts and plunger.

Other than the above test DO NOT drive the truck until it's repaired.

Maybe the shaman knew you were going to start that poll :D

Yikes!!

That's it, I'm hearing way too many horror stories about run away starters :eek:

Tomorrow I'm gunna invest in a quick battery shut off switch :idea:

Or simply replace the contacts?:idea:

DOH!!!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

:idea: Maybe if I answer it that I will only go to CDan, that'll fix me up!
I am ordering my starter from American Toyota, by the way. Nobody in town can touch the price + quality combination. I've already placed the call. No schmoozing here either!

Kragen/schucks/checker has a kit in stock for like 8 bucks with the contacts and plunger. I've used it on my 4runner and both 80s without issue........

Kragen/schucks/checker has a kit in stock for like 8 bucks with the contacts and plunger. I've used it on my 4runner and both 80s without issue........

Hmmm...might be worth fixing the old one to keep as a trail spare and replace the problem starter with the new one from CDan. :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom