Builds My LC 80 thread. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

12/07/2023 @ 285,310 miles. Update.

After the 'Defectos lleve' or 'Wear defects' advised at the ITV (Yearly inspection) that I mentioned in my last update, I have fitted new acrylic number plates front and rear, only the rear was a little faded but I changed both, I have retained my 'pickiness' after the surgery, so it just had to be done.

I also mentioned in my last post that the AC was not as good as I remember, the compressor was engaging ok, and AC was cool....ish (presently40°C in this area of Spain.) so safety pressure was high enough to allow the compressor to engage, the dashboard warning system tells me the engine cooling fan was engaging to cool the engine however, it was not coming on at the correct speed (50% of maximum) to keep the AC condenser happy, almost certainly the AC trinary switch not getting enough pressure. By 08.00 I was out of the workshop job done. I was driving to a friends house for breakfast and had the AC on with the internal fan on its lowest speed, within a few minutes I switched the heater control to hot, it got bloody cold in the 80 real quick! 🤗

Other 'things' that need to be done or shall we say 'finished' are the dash cam installation, this has been hampered by the 80's length, the supplied reverse view camera cable was too short, an extension cable was supplied at a later date, for whatever reason it must go between the short 'tail' of the rear view camera which is about a foot, and the supplied 'estate car' cable which I had already run through the tailgate/body junction, resealed all grommets and run up towards the front car, it stopped short by nearly two metres! So the way the extension is wired it meant the entire install thus far had to be pulled out! So progress was a little slow, but eventually that got sorted. The next problem was the USB power cable, I already have two USB ports fitted to the dashboard. The ports are only generally used when off road, one for my phone and the other for my mapping tablet, so temporary use only. But for a company to expect me to be happy to plug the camera into a cigarette lighter to the dash cam, what were they thinking! 🙄 😁

Anyway, I wanted a hard wired system, that way there was to be no loose cables 'flapping about', I wanted all the cabling to be hidden, so knowing everything was fine I am just waiting for a USB hardwire voltage converter to arrive.

Readers will recall I don't smoke and do not allow it in the 80 either so the ashtray holder became the perfect receptacle for the CB. I noticed the cable on the CB where it entered the microphone was frayed, further investigation showed it was happening where the cable entered the unit itself as well. Unfortunately it's not a simple matter of screwing in a new cable as per most other CB's, the small Albrecht unit cable does plug in but only after removing and dismanting the unit.

So, happy to do this I found the microphone and cable online, but it was half the price of a new unit! Put in the shipping price and it costs over half price of a new unit delivered FOC!

So a nice new identical CB is also on its way, I know Mr Picky syndrome again. I also need to replace all the dashboard bulbs, but pointless until the new CB is in place.

That leaves the front axle which needs a rebuild, to say it needs a rebuild is a little overstated, to be more accurate it is a little overdue. I think I will put this job off until the bulk of summer is over, everything is on the shelf waiting. I have heard the occasional 'click' from one of the CV's, so I have made the decision to just 'one shot' each of them. This may be an unfamiliar term to most LC owners, in particular if you have never owned a Land Rover, 'One Shot' is purhased from LR, it is a grease designed for the CV's, supplied in tubes like toothpaste, it is administered in seconds through the filler hole in the top of the hubs, it will lubricate the CV's long enough for me to get 'them' through summet. It is a great 'get you home' fix if you have a dry hub/CV, sealed in a tube and packs better than a litre tin.

I may put in a new radiator, I could have sworn I saw some antifreeze around the top of the header tank, this is after working on the car, I may have laid on it, but it is around 12 or 13 years old, so may change it anyway?

The new touch screen stereo is working great, although one annoying thing is the touch sensitive button down the left side of the screen, these buttons control volume, home, some other actions as well which I can't remember as it is way past my bedtime. The contrast between the buttons and the border makes them difficult to see, they do illuminate when the side lights are on, but the main unit lighting is reduced when you want it bright, l will work something out I am sure.

Thanks all for following.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
24/07/2023 @ 285,278 miles. Update time.

So I spent the entire weekend completing the reinstall of the dashboard, dash cam, and the new CB. Everything went well until I found the dash cam does not start recording automatically, so that is annoying and have been advised the rear camera has failed. Need to check on that later.

Then I noticed a couple of bulbs on the dashboard were not illuminating? These were all new bulbs as well, those in the know recognise you have to take out the two front sections to get the binacle out. If your are really flexible you can loosen and pull away the bottom section, and then remove the upper section. Now you can remove the screws on the binacle and pull it forward, but you may recall me mentioning you have to be very flexible to reach the bulbs?

What I meant to say is you would need to be able to work like a gynecologist, so you must be able to wallpaper the inside hallway of your house from outside.......through the letterbox in the front door.

Anyway, removing and refitting the bulbs after lifting the contacts on the holder and refitting and all was well. With everything back together I was happy it was job done.

So off to my appointment this morning to get the AC leak tested at 07.00, and about a mile from the garage the alternator packed up! Of course tomorrow (Tuesday) I have to collect an American friend from the airport in Murcia, she will not be amused at having to pay for a taxi, I should have a new alternator by 18.00 tonight, but she will have to suffer no AC tomorrow.

The alternator will not be my preferred 150 amp from the states, but I have run a stock 80 amp unit for a number of years with no issues, the best I can find today is a 120 amp unit, if it fits then job done, I will give another update as soon as I have made progress on the above points.

Regards

Dave.

Last edited:
29/07/2023 @285,624. Update time.

The alternator arrived at 19.00 on the Monday evening, as I had other 'stuff' to do that day, and really needed the car to be on the road and working so a press on a button on the centre console and the two batteries were in parallel, I carried on, with the diesels minimal reliance on electricity I knew I could run around for a few days, the change to a 12 volt starter many years ago meant that the car would start and stop and continue to do so without flattening the batteries for a considerable amount of time, the PWM controlled engine cooling fan takes minimum amperage went in traffic so no big deal for sure.

Keeping in mind I am normally in bed by 22.00 but with the airport pick up the following morning meant the alternator had to go in. With a less than decent right hand I had the job done by 22.30. I have used the 150 amp alternator from the Sequoia in the states in the past, it is my first preference, but purchase price and shipping costs have got ridiculous. So as a FYI the 120 amp unit from the HDJ 100 fits straight in but just note, check what plug you have on the back of your own unit, some are 3 pin oval and some are 4 pin square, there are adapters allowing you to swap from one to the other, but it means another connection and of course there may be delays getting one, also note you should upgrade the heavy cable from alternator to battery, if changing the alternator output. Before anyone's fingers get itchy yes it is a 50% increase in output, and yes it is also unlikely that the alternator will be asked to provide it's maximum output however, having counted cable strands and their thickness I would rate the original cable is rated for 110 amps? But allowing for the age of the cable it may well fail if asked to supply its maximum output so, with so many likely, unlikely, might do's, might not do, just uprate the damn cable!:flipoff2:

So with a new bolt in alternator a quick crank of the engine and all was good, the following morning I took a chance and went down to my friends garage on a chancer that he could find and fix the AC leak in a couple of hours assuming they could fit me in and it could be done. Well it couldn't, there seemed to be leak between one of the connecting pipes and condenser, despite changing the 'O' ring a couple of times the leak persisted. Running out of time I gave in, I guess I will be looking for a new condenser? :confused:

After not being used for nearly two years, I reckon so far I have got away light. The airport run went without a hitch, I will be taking my friend back to the airport early Tuesday am, so at least temperature will be around 30°C (86°F) 🤞

A couple of late nights has left me knackered, so hiding indoors for the weekend with the house AC earning it's keep.

Thanks for keeping up.

Regards

Dave.

Last edited:
03/08/2024 @285,786 miles. Update time.

Not a lot to report, the new alternator is working well as is the rest of the 80......except the AC and rear mounted dash cam, and I drove the 80 in the dark for the first time, I notice the headlamp cut off on the dipped beam is a little too far to the right, so a simple adjustment, a replacement DC is also on the way. I presently have my usual supplier looking for a new condenser and dryer, being RHD 80 in Spain should not be a big deal, but with the EU 'punishing' GB for having the audacity to leave their extremely expensive 'club', this means importing the simplest of things is a costly nightmare.

I tried importing a second hand speedometer head, filling out the online import document should be a breeze is it ****! I may have mentioned earlier why this is, but a typical example is to use the drop down menu to describe the material the product you are importing is constructed from.

Wood.
Aluminium.
Marble.
Steel.
Fabric.
Cardboard.
Corrugated Iron.
Fibreglass.
Fairy dust.

Of course the speedometer is basically plastic! Try putting something...no anything in the 'Other' box, plastic, or 'plastico' is not acceptable. And with one of the other boxes that need to be completed is marked 'Scoosh?'. WTF is 'Scoosh'? This came up regardless if the web page was in Spanish or English, discussing this with the woman in the Post Office she never had a clue, continuing to point out I should use the website to save her doing the job she is paid to do, she was about as useful as a chocolate coffee pot! The speedometer was returned to Ireland and destroyed.....yeh I know.

As an FYI for the Spain and the EU, we now have parts coming over in friends cars/trucks/motorhomes/caravans who make the trips during the short period you allow, because of your ridiculous childish attitude, instead of setting sensible import duty (which GB...ers are happy to pay) you are losing untold thousands of euros in duty, just think, you could spend some of that money to employ someone who knows how to construct a decent website, of course that does not matter, your still debating the shape of imported bananas!

Calm down Dave.....remember your blood pressure. So with around six or seven options the condenser has been removed and passed on to my supplier, hopefully helping him to match it up, with temps hitting the 40's here in Spain with most provinces on 'orange alert' I hope he can do the job asap.

Thanks for keeping up.

Regards

Dave

06/08/2023 @286,044 miles. Update time.

Given the 80 had been parked for over 22 months until I got my licence back, and now I have I am continuing to go through the various systems looking for possible future problems, a sort of deep preventative maintenance if you like?

Today I took out the fuel pick up from the fuel tank and see what I could see. It's a simple job but gives a great sense of satisfaction once done, and of course removes any doubt if anything is amiss.

In general all was pretty good, the tank fuel filter had some brown 'stuff' on the outside of the fine mesh, giving it a blast 'backwards' with water from a tap, it was soon cleaned up. Despite having used an anti bacterial treatment in the fuel, there was some evidence of for what can only be described as a thin layer of soap scum on the upper areas of the tank and float/fuel pick up assembly. You would have thought the occasional once a month drive along the bumpy tracks around my house, would have kept the upper areas of the tank clean with the fuel sloshing about, clearly not the case. Shining a torch around the tank insides (you guys with gasoline might want to use a flashlight? 🔥 😯), this allowed me to check the tank insides, again just a very thin scum at the upper tank areas that I can see, there is a metal baffle but I cannot see much behind it. Since putting the car back on the road a few weeks back the tank has been brimmed, a couple of times, my plan to make sure any rubbish in the upper areas would be flushed down. With the bottom of the tank vacuumed out I reassembled.

I then went for a drive and put in a bottle of injector cleaner and around 25 litres of diesel, there was around 20 in there anyway going by the miles recently covered. Returning home I changed the under bonnet filter, before completing the refit I put some fresh diesel in the filter and a couple of egg cups full of injector cleaner from a second bottle, the remainder went in the fuel tank. With everything buttoned up I started the engine and let it idle for a few minutes.

From the above mentioned 286,044 miles, you can reckon the 40 odd were testing everything was ok, no air/fuel leaks. A couple of hours on a Sunday morning and job done.

I think if you are the new owner of a diesel 80, being such a simple job, this should be high on your maintenance list, I reckon doing it around every ten years would be a good idea.

Many thanks for keeping up.

Regards

Dave.

Last edited:
Not a proper update, so just I don't forget, I replaced the ariel switch illumination bulbs today, apparently low on warehouse stock as it took ages to get them.

84999-10410 2 off at a price of €11.36 each, not too bad price wise, AFAIK these are peculiar to the ariel switch, not being used anywhere else on the 80 dashboard?

Regards

Dave.

Update time 08/09/2023 @287,021 miles.

Just a record note, so today I fitted a new air filter and finally got the indicator/hazard lights relay. Readers will recall that I pointed out that this is a potential fire risk? In the past there have been a number of RHD 80's going up in flames? The first problem is the moment a fire is suspected owners found the bonnet or 'hood' release simply would not work? Now I am not saying that this relay is the cause however, I would point out that the relays position is literally just below the bonnet release cable run, a coincidence.... perhaps? Either way it is to be replaced however, due to the holidays here in Spain it took awhile to find not only the correct relay but also one that was not some 'Mickey Mouse' version. I waited for a decent quality brand to arrive so now in hand I have a 'Nagares' unit, these are well known for their longevity, and will easily handle more amperage than their rating. I will get this changed probably Sunday? I may have a buyer, but if not there are two others waiting in the wings.

Thanks for keeping up, stay safe.

Regards,

Dave

I sadly have to report that my LC 80 has now been sold. 😪 Given my health issues I knew it was only a matter of time. The new buyers are friends of good friends, so I know it is going to a good home.

Thanks to all that have followed this thread for over thirteen years.

The End Of An Era.

Regards

Dave

I sadly have to report that my LC 80 has now been sold. 😪 Given my health issues I knew it was only a matter of time. The new buyers are friends of good friends, so I know it is going to a good home.

The End Of An Era.

Regards

Dave
Sorry to hear this.
NOW GO OUT AND GET ANOTHER ONE!!!

I'm sorry to hear this Dave, I've enjoyed following along with your build, best of luck!

I’ve always enjoyed your stories and advice. Indeed the end of an era. Hopefully you will stick around here and set folk’s straight on this forum from time to time.;)

The End Of An Era.

Regards

Dave
Dave, I hope you are doing well. Thanks.

Dave, I just read from the very first story in this thread, hope you are doing ok, and let's keep discussing about the car we all love (and hate sometimes).

Saludos,

PM

OK next update! Friday I started the front axle overhaul stripping, cleaning, greasing and reassembling ect. The RH side (drivers on mine) went according to plan and this side was the one where the swivel was nice and dry. Apart from a split pin needing to be drilled out of the steering drag link all went well.

Now to the other side, this one was leaking oil/grease quite badly and finding the breather blocked was nothing new however, once I had dismantled everything and started to clean I found the CV or Birfield had a strange wear mark on the outer ridge of the CV body. It seems the bronze bush in the front cover is badly worn? The birf flaps about inside the cover like a prick in shirt sleeve! So that will be ordered Monday evening, the joint does not appear to have any damage on the bearing surfaces and there was no nasty noises either, has anyone seen this before?

I have added a couple of pics for your perusal, also having heard of forum members in the past having their front lower arms work loose I decided to replace the four studs on each side, these studs are a 'torx' style and fitted nice and tight with a little loctite. The brake pads have seen better days so can someone post me the Toyota part number for the larger pads that have been fitted on 80's to reduce or at least slow the wear rate please? IIRC they were for a 100 or 105 series?

I will get back to you later this week when the other parts arrive.

Many thanks

regards

Dave
View attachment 410774View attachment 410775View attachment 410776

I had similar damage to my birf. Did a new brass bushing (43211R) get your problems resolved?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 2.33.48 PM.png

PNG image.jpg

IMG_6667.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom