My last sub tank question. Cutting the OEM filler tube? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I am a bit nervious about cutting the filler tube since it lead to the OEM gas tank. Sparks are unlikely to travel that far and others have lived to tell us about it. But it still makes feel creepy sawing a metal tube connected to a gas tank:crybaby:

I guess I need some reassurence that I will not go up in flames:whoops:

I'd suggest you undo the tank end of the pipe and get it clear of the tank - you'll want to clean out the pipe after cutting anyway, unless you want metal 'bits' working their way into the tank. Once you've cut the pipe it will come out from under the vehicle easily. Before cutting I don't think you can get the filler/breather combo out without lifting the body off the chassis.

Undo the end of the filler/breather at the filler end so that it can move freely, then you can pull the tank end free of the hose clamps.

Anyhow, that's what I did and can still tell you about how I did it :)

cheers,
george.

I'd suggest you undo the tank end of the pipe and get it clear of the tank - you'll want to clean out the pipe after cutting anyway, unless you want metal 'bits' working their way into the tank. Once you've cut the pipe it will come out from under the vehicle easily. Before cutting I don't think you can get the filler/breather combo out without lifting the body off the chassis.

Undo the end of the filler/breather at the filler end so that it can move freely, then you can pull the tank end free of the hose clamps.

Anyhow, that's what I did and can still tell you about how I did it :)

cheers,
george.

George,
Sounds like a great plan.
Thanks again

My aux tank instructions said to use a "snap cutter" (chain type pipe cutter). I suppose for less chance of ignition and perhaps fewer metal shavings. But of course, removing the filler tube would be best.

I Cut my filler tube with a fine tooth hacksaw blade that was covered in heavy grease to help prevent sparks. And don,t forget a magnet to prevent metal flakes from going down the tube. Mind you Mine is a diesel , not so much of a flash ignition hazard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom