My Land Cruiser is acting like Land Rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Well, my speedometer went out about 2 months ago and I haven't been able to dig into the instrument panel to see if I have to replace the speedo, or maybe discover some other problem. My speedo not working is triggering the o/d off light and I know that the problem is the speedo.
Today on my way back home from work, my instrument panel just lite up like a christmas tree. The Low oil engine light, emergency brake light, the voltometer light and the tranny at/p light all came on. I am thinking now, that instead of just replacing the speedo, I might have to replace the whole unit. Is my instrument panel tripping out, or is there something else triggering all of these lights? BTW, the water,oil pressure & tach guages are all working perfectly.

I think your Land Cruiser is having its revenge for being called a Land Rover...

It sounds like you could have some issues with the whole panel...or possibly you could have a short back there. I would take it apart and see what it looks like and then repair as needed. I would also never call it a Land Rover again.

- Mark

I think your Land Cruiser is having its revenge for being called a Land Rover...

It sounds like you could have some issues with the whole panel...or possibly you could have a short back there. I would take it apart and see what it looks like and then repair as needed. I would also never call it a Land Rover again.

- Mark
I understand, I was out of hand by saying that, it's just that you normally here about these type of electrical gremlins/problems from Land Rover owners. I just smacked myself for insulting my 80.

Isn't the dash known to light up like that when the alternator is having issues?

Isn't the dash known to light up like that when the alternator is having issues?

Thats correct. I forgot about that but it happened to me just like that. Seems coincidental that its occuring to the OP while his speedo is disconnected though.

I have never had any problems with the charging system wether it be the battery or the alternator. Engine has always started with a single turn of the key. I will take the instrument panel/combination meter out and inspect the unit this weekend.

Don't mess with the I/P until you've searched for this. It does indeed sound like either the alternator connector or the fusible links if I recall. Others have had this Christmas Tree effect. Do a search.

DougM

Don't mess with the I/P until you've searched for this. It does indeed sound like either the alternator connector or the fusible links if I recall. Others have had this Christmas Tree effect. Do a search.

DougM

Thanks Doug, will do. BTW, where are the fusible links located?

Umh, you don't know what Land Rover problems are until you have to pay 1500.00 for regular brake job!;)

Acting like a Landrover..... when I read the title I thought "his cruiser must be leaking all sorts of fluids on his driveway".

Check your alternator.

Your speedo problem might be behind the meter cluster. There are small screws holding the meters in place, these screws also connect the meters to the electric circut behind the panel.
I have seen these screws come loose.

He's not far off referring to it as a Land Rover- Discoveries are notorious for dash lights and what people affectionately call the "3 Amigos". I dumped my Rover before it s*** the bed. It only had 53k miles on it and the madness had just begun so I traded it in.

Fusible link at positive post.
Many shops will load test your alt for free.

The last "christmas tree" I had was recified by ty wraping the altenator plug wires to the air compressor hose, voila lights gone. Seems like this just helps keep the connection tight.

Others have had luck by unplugging the altenator harness, cleaning if required and plugging it back in.

Reach in find the plug by following the wires, at the bottom is a clip, pull up with a finger to release, and plug should come out fairly easily.

Fusible link at positive post.
Many shops will load test your alt for free.

The last "christmas tree" I had was recified by ty wraping the altenator plug wires to the air compressor hose, voila lights gone. Seems like this just helps keep the connection tight.

Others have had luck by unplugging the altenator harness, cleaning if required and plugging it back in.

Reach in find the plug by following the wires, at the bottom is a clip, pull up with a finger to release, and plug should come out fairly easily.

A couple weeks ago I went out and wheeled like I've never wheeled before. Honky tonk, good ol'boy, redneckin' style; Driving threw lakes of mud (been called a Mexican Redneck couple times;)). My engine compartment is covered in mud. I am thinking that the alternator plug wires or some other connection on the alternator might have gotten dirty. I will clean/inspect and hopefully that'll work. As mentioned before, my rig has neverhad any problems with the charging system. No problems yesterday nor today at least.

My Land Cruiser is acting like Land Rover

Sacrifice it for the sake of all other LC owners, it's a mutated disease which could spread, take it to the car crushers NOW!

As mentioned before, my rig has neverhad any problems with the charging system.

Your alternator has 215K miles on it and is 17 years old. The dashboard christmas tree lights are charging system related. Your statement above is almost meaningless. Parts wear out and need to be replaced from time to time. Your alternator doesn't really owe you anything anymore.

Were you carrying anything with the name 'Lucas' on it when these things began to happen?

Your alternator has 215K miles on it and is 17 years old. The dashboard christmas tree lights are charging system related. Your statement above is almost meaningless. Parts wear out and need to be replaced from time to time. Your alternator doesn't really owe you anything anymore.

True. But I would think if my alternator was having issues, my batteries would not be charging properly and therefore would have problems at start up, right?Engine starts right up, first turn .

Check your grounds.

Note:
If it was acting like a LR, you could grab the wiring harness under the dash and give it a quick jerk and shake and you would have the problems solved until you hit the next bump in the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom