1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My keyless entry doesnt work

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Mr.Bryan, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

Stupid thing stopped working the other day. :doh: The first day, I was driving and the car just started honking randomly. Like the alarm would sound, but it would only go for about 2 sec. and then stop. Then maby 3 or 4 minutes later it would sound again and then stop. Then the remote just stopped opening and closing the door.

I do have a remote start on the car, but its been on there for a while and its never had a problem. I left the truck overnight with the battery unpluged to see if anythign would reset, but that didnt work either. Is there anything i'm missing or is the unit fried?

:beer:Thanks dudes,

-Bryan

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

Bryan,

Does your red LED come on when you press a button. If not, try the following:

Mine stopped working this morning. I took it apart and gently reshaped the 2 metal contacts. One touches the battery and the other does something else (didn't look too hard.) Then take something like a toothpick and clean all the dirt and lint out of the area where the rubber covers the buttons. Put it back together and it locks the doors from 50' :)

-B-

3. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

yea, after reading this post again, i have concluded that I am portraying the wrong problem. The problem doesnt lie in the remote control, it is in the unit inside the car. The little red light comes on in the remote so it works fine... or so I think. I have 2 of them and neither of them work. First off, the control unit is the one under the drivers seat correct? second off, is there any tricks to "reseting" it other then unpluging the battery or the unit? I tried both and neither worked.

Hopelessly stumped,
    Bryan

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

If it is the RS3000 alarm then grab the 4 manuals from my web site. There's an owner's manual, a wiring diagram, an installation manual, and a troubleshooting manual. If those don't help then you're hosed.

-B-

5. Junk

Junk

Bryan, Read the manual. It's pretty straight forward.

Like B said, if it doesn't help, you're :flipoff2:ed

6. ccoli

ccoli

My remote doesn't work anymore cuz its in a snowbank somewhere in my neighbors yard. Keys fell out of my pocket while being a good neighbor and snow-blowing her driveway. Went throught the blower I bet. Found the keys but the remote went for a ride. Think it'll still work when the snow melts all around and in it?

7. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    My 97 only came with one remote. The alarm's got a mind of it's own. By this I mean the chirp when locking or unlocking. Sometimes it will chirp, then it decides it doesn't want to chirp. It goes in cycles, right now, I just unlocked then locked it, and both times it chirped. Tomorrow it won't. It's kind of querky, but I haven't tried to read the manual to figure it out.

8. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Joshua,

There's a piezzo wrapped inside a foammy insulation on the LHS engine bay closed to the firewall, I believe. It's a known problem that they work intermittenly. Mine does the same thing - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; but it does not matter to me at all.

Regards,
    Frank.

9. 96Cruiser

96Cruiser

Media:
    yep,mine is famous for giving the normal chirp,then the second chirp sounds like someone is strangling that chirper!!!!!!

doug

10. PDoyle

PDoyle

Another answer to that problem....
    I just had a remote starter installed 2 days ago. WOW!
    The new remote blows the old factory one away. By far!
    Just another thing to spend your $$$ on.
    But, mine was a Christmas gift.....

11. Lothar80

Lothar80

When I did c-dans center mod some time back on my '96, I found the control box under the dash and followed the wires back to the harness. The toyota guys used some slick taps which I reconnected and all my gremlins disappeared. Ended up killing two birds with one stone :)

12. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Josh,
    I replaced my "piezo" it's a reletivly easy job. check with C-dan, I believe he has them in stock :beer:

My remote works, although I have noticed the distance, from were it used to work from has decreased a lot (I'll try -B- trick and see if it helps, a new battery did not help any) I have droped my remote a few times, maybe that could be the problem :doh:

13. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

As far as the piezo goes, mine was a problem with the crimp connectors used to istall it. The wires that go to the piezo are one size and the wires from the controller are another. The difference in size is well beyond the using of a single crimp. So I just soldered them together with some shrink wrap and it now works everytime.

14. DVader

DVader

Media:
    My alarm is like that too, chirps during locking/unlocking only when it wants. It's kinda amusing that I get into a betting game with my wife whether it will or will not chirp when remote is used.

Good to know the cause -- looks like it's a call to ............... Super Dan again. I want my 'piezzo'. I'm feeling hungry ... pass me that pizza please! :D

Rolly