My "J-Moose" attempt. w/ pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have shamelessly snagged this idea from johny(wildyoats). The thought had crossed my mind of doing this once but he showed that it worked pretty well. My rack buildup is not as cool as his but i still thought some would enjoy.
The sweet thing about this is that i was able to sell my old yakima loadwarrior, buy this and all the parts and MAKE money.

This rack is all aluminum with alot more pieces than johhny's so i didnt have to add anything. it has alot of nicers runners which will work nice with bunggies or ratchet straps. The rack is 44x78. About 7 inches longer than most and the awesome thing is i picked this up off ebay for 40 bucks(and 40 for shiping).

I used my old yakima wind fairing by bending the existing front piece and just bolting it in. It uses three bolt points and the outer two are zinc coated eye bolts for a decent strapping point. look for them in the picture.

I simply attached the rack with 6, 4inch zinc u-bolts. No need to even run bolts through the folding section of the rack b/c the entire thing rests on three yakima 1a towers with 57" crossbars.

For a few more strong strapping point i added two forged steel 3/8 eye-bolts in the rear of the rack. i will eventually add 2 or 4 more but this is all the hardware store had.

After mounting the ramp i only noticed one problem. My holes for the wind fairing dont match up perfectly so it doesnt exactly sit even. Thats all that needs fixing. Overall, i love it and total cost was around 100 bucks.

Brandon.
fj.jpg
fj1.jpg

Last edited:
last pics. Sorry its dark so they arent great and i cant find the cable for the digital slr so im using an old camera. Will try to update pics soon.
fj4.jpg

Looks good Brandon.

I think I would have drilled holes in the aluminum and flipped the U-bolts over so they wrap around the Yak bars and come up through the aluminum and get nuts/washer on top. Think it would look a little les "home made."

Other than that, not bad.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Looks good Brandon.

I think I would have drilled holes in the aluminum and flipped the U-bolts over so they wrap around the Yak bars and come up through the aluminum and get nuts/washer on top. Think it would look a little les "home made."

Other than that, not bad.

Ary,

Not a bad idea. i may look into that and it would probably be slightly stronger. I was gonna spend some of the day friday(no classes) and do this as well as rear eclipses and a new capacitor for my stereo but today turned out to be a crappy day, i wanted to get away from school so i just came home and did this stuff in an hour to clear my head.
I am going to tweak some thing on it still, like cut the other angled pieces of aluminum off the front and mess around with the wind fairing, its a little noisy for some reason. While im doing this stuff i want to add two more eye bolts and maybe do what you suggested, my only concern is having the studs from the u-bolt sticking up in the rack.

96lx450,

No the welds arent mind, nothing was done to the actual ramp before putting it up there.

apcoleman said:
Brandon,

looks pretty cool. I need to take a look at that the next time you are on campus.

Tony

Have at it tony. if you want to jump up on the rear bumper for a better look i wont mind at all. Keep in mind i may do some other things with it. I'm thinking of taking the fairing off all together, its short by a few inches and im sure its really helping me at all. we'll see.

Cool, I am looking at doing the same . It looks good. Did you cut it anywhere or just unfold it and bolt it on ? Also I think you said its on Three yakama towers , do you think it would be OK on just two ?
take some more pictures once you get things on it.

thanks

Fuel,

I didnt do any cutting. Like you said, i just through it up there and bolted it on.
I will try to get more pics tomorrow in some daylight. Also, im sure you could run it with just two crossbars but i dont think it would be the smartest thing in the world. Kind depends on your purpose for the rack, if you plan on totally loading it up, which i never do, i would consider three or maybe even 4 crossbars. You can find the yakima bars and towers for a decent price on ebay. Plus, if for no other reason, two bars and a huge aluminum rack might look kinda funny.

Way to go dude! Glad to see someone tried it out! You are officially J-Moose number #2!!! (we need to start numbering these for fun! )

Good job, and I agree, flip those U's around for a slighlty cleaner appearance!

For those that missed it, HERE IS MY ORIGINAL TECH ARTICLE ON THIS which I named the "J-Moose" rack (Johnny/Moose)

Who will be number #3?????? :bounce2:

Nice Brandon, and yes the flip is a little better. Now take a sawzall and fluch cut the bolts so that so much is'nt sticking up. All in all though very cool and $thrifty.

Nice. I was thinking though that when you flipped the U bolt.. if you mounted it inbetween the aluminum rods, that way it would also allow you to put the flat rectangular braket between the 2 bolts giving you a little more security if a nut came off and would spread out the pressure from the nuts bolted down. (Essentially acting as a large washer)

So instead of coming up through on either side of those aluminum rods... have both ubolt studs come up inbetween the rods.....if that makes sense? Of course then you would either have to shift the rack a lttle or shift the Yakima bars so they line up with the low spots inbetween the rods.

Just another idea I thought I'd throw out, but otherwise nicely done.

Goo job dude! Looking good! Still have the sawzall out? hack those tabs off too brotha! (the ones that would rest on a tailgate if one would use this for the "other" use!)

:beer:

WildYoats said:
Way to go dude! Glad to see someone tried it out! You are officially J-Moose number #2!!! (we need to start numbering these for fun! )

Good job, and I agree, flip those U's around for a slighlty cleaner appearance!

For those that missed it, HERE IS MY ORIGINAL TECH ARTICLE ON THIS which I named the "J-Moose" rack (Johnny/Moose)

Who will be number #3?????? :bounce2:

Damn...he beat me to the number 2 position!! I just received the last of my parts (bulldogs clamps) and will be starting this soon!! Of course, I'm also in the process of replacing all my battery cables with 0/1 cable, dual-battery set-up, rebuilding my 8274, snorkal install, HEI dist install, etc., etc.

I'll post up when I'm done! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom