My intercooler install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, because of the greater number of people doing intercoolers, or asking, I thought I would share what I got so far. I am waiting for the plumbing to come in to hook it all up. I used a custom built bar and plate (I think its called) with a 2.5" thick core, about 9" tall and about 21" wide. Inlet/outlet are 2.5" I would get a core that was 2" thick if I was to do it again. I had to cut out the hood latch mechanism to fit the cooler, but was able to save the secondary hood lock mechanism. I used a pair of locking hood latches to hold down, and secure the hood. I keep the locks taped since they are exposed to the elements. Had to cut out a bit on both sides of the radiator to make room and entry points to the engine compartment. I plan on rotating the compressor section about 180 degrees so as to be pointing downward and to the pass. side. This will hopefully allow for less bends going from the compressor section to the intake side of the cooler. Still will need to do some sort of transition from a 2" outlet to a 2.5" cooler inlet pipe size. Will need to fab up a new mount for the bypass valve. The other side will be a little more of a challenge for the routing. I will post again when finally done. Don't know if the intercooler is too big for this turbo or not.

Last edited:
I ordered this from Spooled Motorsports, found them on the net. They deal in two brands. This was a custom job since they did not have anything pre-built that fit as close as I wanted. Like I mentioned above, I would try and find a 2" thick core , then you most likely could use the original hood latch.

it looks nice and clean other than the loss of the hood latch (which i might have a problem with as well).
according to the guy at Bell Intercoolers the diesel needs more air. for the 3.5 i needed 460 cfm, do you know what you have for air flow?
i wanted both inlet and outlet on the same side for ease of plumbing but we will see once i get my truck back and i start preping for install.
one idea i was thinking of was to move the rad back 1" using a spacer so that i can still have the factory hood latch. i could move it back 1 1/2" and that might give me more material for the rad support...
congrates

crushers

I had thought about pushing the rad back an inch or so, but it would intail having to maybe remove and trim the rad fan shroud, at least that's what it looked like to me :confused: I don't know what this intercooler will flow unfortunately. The guys I had orderd this from did not seem to know much about intercoolers. I had thought about an intercooler like yours, but the way the plumbing works on the 13B-T I thougth it better to have a in one side and out the other instead of on both. I have found a source states side for asortment of plumbing called turbohoses.com. How thick a core is yours?

coldtaco said:
How much? Too much. If I had searched around more I might have been able to find a cheaper place. It was about $550.00 :frown:

not cheap .. but I thought is a custom work, and perfect fit.

coldtaco said:
I had thought about pushing the rad back an inch or so, but it would intail having to maybe remove and trim the rad fan shroud, at least that's what it looked like to me :confused: I don't know what this intercooler will flow unfortunately. The guys I had orderd this from did not seem to know much about intercoolers. I had thought about an intercooler like yours, but the way the plumbing works on the 13B-T I thougth it better to have a in one side and out the other instead of on both. I have found a source states side for asortment of plumbing called turbohoses.com. How thick a core is yours?
the intercooler i am using this time is 2 1/2" thick...
give Gerhard a call at Bell Intercoolers, he seems to really know his stuff...
cheers

that looks very similar in size to the Saab 9000 Intercooler I installed on my 60. I was able to keep the latch, though had to turn the battery tray 90 degrees.
intercooler2.jpg

gifu said:
that looks very similar in size to the Saab 9000 Intercooler I installed on my 60. I was able to keep the latch, though had to turn the battery tray 90 degrees.

nice information .. I had seen some Saabs here .. but did you know the CFM of this intercooler . ? of the CC of the donor engine .. ?

donor engine is a 2.4 liter gas motor. While it is a smaller motor then the 3.4 liter i installed it on... the 2.4 redlines at over 5000 RPM... and the diesel will rarely if ever go over 3000.

the only time an intercooler is too big is when you have a large pressure drop or when you are overheating because of the lack of airflow to the radiator.

gifu said:
donor engine is a 2.4 liter gas motor. While it is a smaller motor then the 3.4 liter i installed it on... the 2.4 redlines at over 5000 RPM... and the diesel will rarely if ever go over 3000.

good advice .. but also I'm still thinking in a turbo flow for this " little " engine, Vs my 2H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom