1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My H55 swap thread

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Paul DiNapoli, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Paul DiNapoli

Paul DiNapoli

Media:
    Albums:
    "And if the crossmember sat flush against the frame that would make setting the angle mounts super easy." <-- agreed - i was hoping for the same...

if i kept jacking up the xmember it would eventually sit flush at the rear (we're only talking a 1/2'' maybe) but the t-case did look too high at the back - and i assumed that might also make for less desirable rear prop shaft angle.

for comparison & confirmation i took the old crossmember for the automatic and held it up in place against the original welded cross member supports and that also sat slightly lower at the rear...so duplicated that on the new.

2. Paul DiNapoli

Paul DiNapoli

Media:
    Albums:
    thanks for sharing the link.

my bell housing/clutch slave is all post 85' so no adjustment at the fork end. I adjusted the clutch pedal freeplay ever so slightly - and no more noise. inspection cover is off for now - i'll give it till the weekend and this will be one more thing off the punch list!

Cruiserdrew and mwebfj60 like this.
  3. Paul DiNapoli

Paul DiNapoli

Media:
    Albums:
    finally got around to cutting the 4-Lo linkage rod since the length of the rod coming off the automatic is like 10 feet too long.
    upload_2018-5-21_6-59-7.png

to keep the geometry essentially untouched - I followed @pismo62 lead doing this
    Out with the Semi-Old A440-In with the H55 - took 4.5 inched out of the front section.

and with the help of my machinist friend...we made a sleeve out of stainless steel - dropped into the bridgeport mill - and drilled and inserted a pair of roll pins to lock it all together
    upload_2018-5-21_7-2-44.png
    upload_2018-5-21_7-2-57.png

however - going to install it - seems like it's still too long...and i think the difference is here:

the new:
    upload_2018-5-21_7-4-24.png
    the old:
    upload_2018-5-21_7-5-3.png

4. JTFJ62PDX

JTFJ62PDX

I haven't taken a close look at the linkage on my truck yet, but I'm wondering if one could cut the proper length to accommodate the new trans and just cut new threads on the end of that linkage rod with the appropriate die?

5. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer SILVER Star

Media:
    Or cut the rod to the correct length and hotglue (MIG) back together.

FJ60Cam and JTFJ62PDX like this.
  6. Paul DiNapoli

Paul DiNapoli

Media:
    Albums:
    yeah - it might have to come to that. my friend put some time into making that sleeve from raw stainless steel bar stock - and bought the little roll pins...i don't have the heart throw away that effort.

7. Nostradamus

Nostradamus SILVER Star

Same here. About 52K on the H55, and its notchy into 3rd. Been that way since forever - no change for better or worse. Mine's mated to the 2F in my rig, so it's no land rocket, but on the highway with 33s, it's civilized.

8. gofast

gofast