Builds Brewsky's Build & Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thank you to all who have posted so much valuable insight on the forum. It is definitely great to be able to find the answers you're looking for when jumping to a new project. In the past, I have had a few sport coupes but since getting married and moving to PA, my wife and I decided to get bigger cars to better handle snow, haul stuff around and to prep for a bigger family in the future.

For now, I would like to set up the GX for some possible light off roading in the near future while still keeping it comfortable for daily driving and road trips. I did a 2-step paint correction and used the Zaino Daily Driver package. Highly recommend their products. I also added Well Visors and a wireless cellphone mount.

MODS IN THE NEAR FUTURE
I have not made any purchases yet but have the following in mind for the next few weeks. All feedback is greatly appreciated!
  • Ironman Nitro Gas Stage 2 lift. Still undecided between the 2.5"F & 2"R or the 3"F&R springs. Any thoughts? Both performance loads as I don't plan on adding additional weight for a little while.
  • Metal Tech or RSG sliders. In between these as I am not so in love with the wholes in the RSG top plates. Does anyone have Metal Tech installed? The non OPOR ones THESE.
  • SCS F5 Gen5 17x8.5 ET-10 (assuming I can get a set before they sell out) OR Fifteen52 Analog HD 17x8.5 ET0.
  • 285/70/17 - Likely Falken Wildpeak AT3W.
  • JW Off Road OR Prinsu roof rack.
  • BMC.
  • Front bumper trim.
MY STOCK GX

LGX460_031.jpg

Last edited:
Sooo... After looking at all your other vehicles, are you planning to drop your GX 2.5"F & 2"R or the 3"F&R OR raise it?? :rofl:
Seriously, welcome to the forum!
Speaking (writing) to a person who appears to have done a few car projects already, I imagine I don't have to tell you to research and put together an end game of what you'd like your rig to become, e.g. overlander, mild weekender, family hauler, whatever.
You should have no problem finding someone who has done a similar to what you may want to go after.
So, again, welcome and enjoy all the rambling that goes on here!! :cheers:

Thank you to all who have posted so much valuable insight on the forum. It is definitely great to be able to find the answers you're looking for when jumping to a new project. In the past, I have had a few sport coupes but since getting married and moving to PA, my wife and I decided to get bigger cars to better handle snow, haul stuff around and to prep for a bigger family in the future. Anyhow, below are a few of my previous projects and a couple pictures of my new to me 2018 GX460.

For now, I would like to set up the GX for some possible light off roading in the near future while still keeping it comfortable for daily driving and road trips. I did a 2-step paint correction and used the Zaino Daily Driver package. Highly recommend their products. I also added Well Visors and a wireless cellphone mount.

AUDI S5
View attachment 2643134
That is a nice S5.

Sooo... After looking at all your other vehicles, are you planning to drop your GX 2.5"F & 2"R or the 3"F&R OR raise it?? :rofl:
Seriously, welcome to the forum!
Speaking (writing) to a person who appears to have done a few car projects already, I imagine I don't have to tell you to research and put together an end game of what you'd like your rig to become, e.g. overlander, mild weekender, family hauler, whatever.
You should have no problem finding someone who has done a similar to what you may want to go after.
So, again, welcome and enjoy all the rambling that goes on here!! :cheers:

LMAO @r2m definitely going with the lift on this one, although I am sure someone has done a slammed GX at some point that is not my intention. Yeap, read forums and ask a lot of questions. So many great builds here as well as a few people on IG. Luckily most people seem to be responsive and very helpful.

I measured ground to fender both front and rear and I am assuming the 2.5" F and 2"R springs will give me a close to level lift right? I don't want to add the performance plus springs since I won't be driving with added weight.

That is a nice S5.

Thank you!

Finally got some parts coming in! Ironman is having a 25% off sale so I pulled the trigger on their Nitro Gas 2.5"F & 2" rear kit w/ UCA. Also got the Metal Tech (non poor) sliders and BMC kit, Prinsu rack and Fifteen52 Turbomac HDs 17x8.5.

I've read good reviews on Falken Wildpeak ATW3s so I'll probably go with them.

Finally got some parts coming in! Ironman is having a 25% off sale so I pulled the trigger on their Nitro Gas 2.5"F & 2" rear kit w/ UCA. Also got the Metal Tech (non poor) sliders and BMC kit, Prinsu rack and Fifteen52 Turbomac HDs 17x8.5.

I've read good reviews on Falken Wildpeak ATW3s so I'll probably go with them.
There went your tax return!! :D

My buddy runs that wheel on his Tacoma, I love it. I had a GF with a white S5 and red interior, it was a fun little car. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride/build.

My buddy runs that wheel on his Tacoma, I love it. I had a GF with a white S5 and red interior, it was a fun little car. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride/build.

Thank you, they look great on the truck. I did a quick test for today and they make a huge difference from stock.

While I am rubbing on the stock sliders, I don’t seem to be close to the body mount. Does that mean I won’t need to chop it after I lift? Or will it depend on alignment?

PS, started a new IG @18gx460 😀 What’a everyone’s handles so I can follow!

F4AAC238-1065-4A90-8ECF-BED473B14924.jpeg

Did you look at full lock? I look to possibly hitting my body mount, and looks like I will after my lift. I'm getting my lift installed next week and having them do the BMC while they're in there just in case. Below is a pic at full-lock with my Relations Race Wheels RR2-S 17X8.5 -12 with 285/70 BFG K02s on stock suspension.

rub2.jpg

20210418_095755.jpg

FIfteen52 wheels are sex! Always liked them.

Was planning on keeping factory 18s for a while... depending on colors offered I may have to ditch that idea LOL

Truck looks great!

GX looks awesome! What do you think about the well visors quality? Do they mount to the trim or inside the window track?

Did you look at full lock? I look to possibly hitting my body mount, and looks like I will after my lift. I'm getting my lift installed next week and having them do the BMC while they're in there just in case. Below is a pic at full-lock with my Relations Race Wheels RR2-S 17X8.5 -12 with 285/70 BFG K02s on stock suspension.

View attachment 2657270

I am rubbing in that same plastic trim, right where it meets the stock slider/mud flap piece. Maybe not as bad since your wheel sticks out just a bit more with the -12 offset (mine are 0). Although, I still have some room between the tire and the body mount. I haven't gotten around to dismounting the stock slider to see how much room there is. I'm still planning on doing the BMC just in case.

Heard back from Metal Tech today and my sliders will ship out after May 20. I wonder if I could run the 285s without the lift? Which is also not shipping out until July :'(

FIfteen52 wheels are sex! Always liked them.

Was planning on keeping factory 18s for a while... depending on colors offered I may have to ditch that idea LOL

Truck looks great!

I have always liked them a lot and glad I got a full set of 5 for the GX. They have a few colors I believe. I reached out to the sales department and they convinced me on the Turbomac HDs. I almost went with their Analog HD series but they were back ordered.

GX looks awesome! What do you think about the well visors quality? Do they mount to the trim or inside the window track?
Thank you! It's coming together, just wish all the parts were not in back order. Seems like everyone has shipping or production delays now.

The visors are great, so much better than straight stick on ones. I also like how they're pretty flat against the body and don't bubble out like others in the market. Outside of 3M tape, they come with 3 metal brackets on the front and 2 for the rear. The brackets slide in the window track. I don't see them going anywhere unless you really pull hard.

Last edited:
Happy to be running the new wheels on the stock suspension. Did some trimming and zip ties this week. Got the stock trim ready for the Metal Tech sliders to be mounted when they arrive later in May. I only rub backing up on the very front of the fender liner, which will likely be cut once I trim the front bumper. This won’t work off road, but will hold me over to daily it on the road.

Next up is the Prinsu rack. Arrived today and hopefully I can install it this weekend.

ACDB2627-44AF-411A-AC96-8351D7CFB1E6.jpeg

9733E592-BBDF-4869-AAE1-ACE748F47DF6.jpeg

For those planning on doing the trim. I went at it with a Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel after mocking up the cut line. It worked well, specially for the sections where the trim is curved. For the straight cuts, a box cutter and patience worked better. Everything got sanded with a flat bottom manual sander to make it look clean.

Also, I moved the inner bolt in the front fender liner since I trimmed the mud guards a bit. Picture below.

02A37A3F-45E7-442A-971C-2143CD41CD1E.jpeg

Last edited:
Happy to be running the new wheels on the stock suspension. Did some trimming and zip ties this week. Got the stock trim ready for the Metal Tech sliders to be mounted when they arrive later in May. I only rub backing up on the very front of the fender liner, which will likely be cut once I trim the front bumper. This won’t work off road, but will hold me over to daily it on the road.

Next up is the Prinsu rack. Arrived today and hopefully I can install it this weekend.

View attachment 2667001
View attachment 2667000

For those planning on doing the trim. I went at it with a Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel after mocking up the cut line. It worked well, specially for the sections where the trim is curved. For the straight cuts, a box cutter and patience worked better. Everything got sanded with a flat bottom manual sander to make it look clean.

Also, I moved the inner bolt in the front fender liner since I trimmed the mud guards a bit. Picture below.

View attachment 2667003

Those look absolutely monstrous! I love it.

Mounting the Prinsu rack today. And find it kind of disappointing I have to add washers to space the rack up a few mm so it doesn’t rub on the paint. Not a huge deal, just figured the design of the spacers the rack comes with would account for the correct space. I read I’m not the only one with this issue also. Pics to come later.

Very nice!
Any parts/fasteners left over? :rofl:

So turns out my stock alignment was not 100% and was starting to eat away at my new tires. Only drove about 500 miles on them. Sooooo threw the stock wheels/tires back on while I wait for the lift to arrive. It's not that bad, and I don't care about my stock tires anyways. I'm not about to pay for two alignments within a few months!

Very nice!
Any parts/fasteners left over? :rofl:

Actually... I did have some screws left over haha they must have thrown some extra ones.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom