My Grandfather's Snow Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
He was a rural mail carrier in South Dakota.
SnowMachine.jpg

"Neither rain nor snow nor dark of night...."

Do you know if that was home built or US Government issue or military surplus or ? ? ?

-Mike-

Yeah, the mail must get through.
It was something he made (was a tinkerer). So it musta been surplus. I have no idea what the original airplane was. Water cooled engine, probably a biwing, looks like the upper wing struts are still in place in front of the cockpit. Notice the inverted leaf springs? I wonder how the hell he steered it. Maybe the rear skid, looks like a linkage. He shoulda kept the rudder!

He died when I was about 2. The house in the background, by the way, is where my mom grew up, at least until a tornado sucked the roof off. I think that was in 1937.

I wonder how the hell he steered it. Maybe the rear skid, looks like a linkage. He shoulda kept the rudder!
I bet he used the rudder pedals to steer the rear skid like you suggested. Would have to be going pretty fast to get aerodynamic rudder authority. A bigger question for me was how he stopped it!

Looks like some kind of link across the bottom to the back ski, maybe for steering. Can you blow it up?

A bigger question for me was how he stopped it!

My thoughts exactly! Must not be many hills where he delivered mail. :eek:
I agree with Steve on the rear ski being used for steering.

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom