My girlfriend bought me a 65 FJ45... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
That's right, my girlfriend surprised me with a 65 FJ45 that she bought on ebay.:p Here's the link, Toyota : Land Cruiser | eBay.
I am definitely a newbie to the FJ45's, though I have restored and currently own a 40. I plan to restore this rig as well (saving for retirement will have to wait).
I have a few rookie questions...I have searched the forum for the last couple of hours, without much luck. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!
What is a fixed top?
What is the advantages/disadvantages of a fixed top?
Any thoughts regarding the bed on this rig? I haven't seen one quite like this before...
Any Mudships going from Michigan to Montana?
Any other thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed!
I'm sure I'll have plenty more rookie questions in the future, so Thank You for your time and patience! :cheers:

It looks like this cruiser has alot of aftermarket things on it. The disadvantage of a fixed top is that you cannot remove it unlike other 45s. The bed on it is not original as I don't think there was ever a step side cruiser. There are probably reproduction beds for a SWB out there though. If the frame and cab don't have a lot of rust though it will be a good starting point. Make sure to document ur build on here as there are a lot of folks here that can help answer questions.

You have a very nice girlfriend! I wish my g/f would buy me something like that, but then the wife might get upset :p

I think most, if not all the 45's, of that era in the USA are fixed hard tops. The only disadvantage being you can't go topless on a sunny day.
The box is definetly home made. The front axle swap is a huge upgrade, as that vintage would have been the old "ball & claw" with drum brakes.
I love my V8 in my fj40, but for this swap all the purists would be howling I'm sure.

Rust in the frame is going to be your biggest enemy, then the cab mounts, cab corners, windsheild frame, and possibly along the roof edges (I'm not sure how the roof mounts on the fixed version).

Way to go. When most guys get a new rig, we appreciate a picture. Thanks for that. Considering the way you got this cruiser, some us might appreciate a picture of the girlfriend too.;p you are a lucky man. I am in Wyoming and might have some extra parts handy when you are ready.

Best of luck on your resto,
Dukes

You've found a winner - marry her tomorrow.

cool another 45 in the state. That one was listed in the 45 classifieds a few times thru out the last year.

fixed top only came in short wheelbase rigs, you could also get a removable top in a short wheelbase rig. the cab is not as roomy as a removable top cab. the beds are different between the 2 cab styles.
it does look like it has the correct tailgate.

try the mudship section...."trulyvintage" travels the country.

I do believe that is a 64 at the newest. The VIN on the Ebay isn't correct. The serial numbers weren't anyehere that high in the mid sixties. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 After FJ45 doesn't belong is the first number in the VIN. I pretty sure this FJ45 was listed on Mud before. 3_puppies is right the SWB bed is different between the fixed and removable tops. The price paid seems about right and it looks like a cool project.

:cheers:

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies! I truly appreciate them all.
one more question... What is the best method to replace a fixed top with a removable top?

I'm still considering the matrimonial prospect... A new Warn winch could seal the deal!:) Just kidding (well kinda).

Wdukes... I'll be in touch. I'd like to see what parts you have. Thanks for the reply! I'll attach a pic of the truck and girlfriend later.

3 Puppies, PM being sent.

Thanks again!:clap:

She have a sister?

Dump that bed first thing, takes away from a nice truck..Seen 45s with 1980s era toyota PU bed...look kind of cool..Id even go flatbed before Id keep that..but thats JMO...looks to frankenstein-ish

$(KGrHqIOKjYE3QRb,706BN1y836n)w~~_12.JPG

3k33o73l75W15P25X2b5lc4de979982301fd8.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies! I truly appreciate them all.
one more question... What is the best method to replace a fixed top with a removable top?

Wayne, you would need to replace the entire cab with a removable top model, the dimensions of the cabs are different, not sure if the rear cab mounts on the frame are in the same place.
tornadoalleycruiser is doing the swap, he can chime in on the diffences.
Paul

it'd be a LOT of work if your not willing to undergo a ton of modifications.. you will need a whole new cab assembly and the bed would be obtained via aqualu for about 2500 if you want a stock looking bed. GUmby has a fixed top he got that had been cut off he's been working on.

Sadly i'm not at the point of offering guidance yet.. my cab is sitting on a wood dolly after being media blasted primed and a new firewall , quarter panel, etc grafted into it. Probably a month or 2 out from offering my guidance. my wagon is getting my attention right now. I will offer up guidance as i get that far into it. sourcing the cab was the hardest part to obtaining the removable top feature. well not that hard for me got mine from 3 puppies. back body mount for the cab needs to be moved approx 14 inches back for starters. I'll have to cut my bed down at least 3" when i get to that point. OR buy another bed..
as far as i've gotten is the attached photo..

if you keep it as a fixed top and are wanting a stock bed that will be your biggest hurdle. keep your eyes open they're out there sometimes.. I think Pardi had one he was trying to get rid of a year or so ago but can't remember.
IMG_4637.JPG

Would build such a tray on your gift ;)
Not so expensive and the look of this 1958 fixed hardtop sold in Australia
is awesome... just my 2 pence

4112850029_7de69d3d1d_3sze.jpg

Cheers
Peter

fold down sides on the tray...i always thought that was a cool idea.

My FHT was cut by the PO. I welded a flange to the cab and will weld a flange to the top so they bolt back together. It' a pretty un-doable mod on a really rare truck.

My 64 is titled as a 65, but has a build number in early 63. Check the correct VIN against the SOR list.

I was thinking about heading to Kalispell this summer, but I was going to put the bikes on the trailer. I'm not sure I could fit both.

Last edited:
I was thinking about heading to Kalispell this summer, but I was going to put the bikes on the trailer. I'm not sure I could fit both.

keep me in mind if your heading thru my area. I assume you'd take the interstate versus the hi line.
Paul

Hey guys, Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate the information and the opinions!

Yep, the bed definitely has to go!!! I had planned on building a flat bed. I'm a blacksmith by trade and own a metal fabrication business. I really like the folding side idea, Thanks A.greenspan:clap:!!!

Tornadoalleycruiser, I look forward to watching your thread. I suspect I may be following in your your lead! Keep up the good work!

Gumpy. if you make it up to Kalispell, please let me know. I'd love to buy you a beer and pick your brain.

3 puppies, how the heck do you find all of this cool stuff???

Two more rookie questions... I contacted the seller and he swears this is the correct VIN, FJ45498675. It doesn't match anything on Spectors list. Is there something I'm missing?
On a fixed cab, is the roof metal or fiberglass?

Thanks again!!!:clap:

Nice gift...at least she can't get upset at you once you start spending all your time restoring it...or get the cruiser bug so bad that you'll be buying more :D

Not a 45 owner...yet...but I would suggest you wait till the truck shows up, and you have a real good look at it before buying anything. Also, with truck in hand, you can check the frame for it's serial number, check the engine numbers out, and see what else has been done to the truck. The bed might be the only thing done to it...or...it could be a combination of a couple different rigs.

Take your time, and once you have the 45 in hand, take loads of pics for the guys to look over :hillbilly:

Again, cool GF, and cool surprise :cheers:

Roof on the old iron is "Iron" :)
I just moved two roof caps around the garage last night from the different 45 cabs..
Fixed top on mine is not ribbed.. removable top is ribbed. I have seen fixed top cabs that are ribbed as well..
I agree get the truck to you.. start on the basics like getting it running, brakes, steering, front end stuff.. Cab stuff.. Frame.. Once all of that is to your liking and safe then work on the bed.. Work front to back basically.
I"m getting closer to starting a thread.. I just want my garage back and my wagon out of it so i can get focused on the 45.. My club will kill me if i don't get the wagon rolling and wheeling asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom