My girl topless, well sorta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Well since the major selling points for me on the 1st gen 4runner were:

Seats 5 people
Not crazy expensive on gas
Has a removable top

DSC02170.JPG

I figured it was time to go topless:

So off to the hardware store I went to get some eye hooks and straps, and a few hours later:

DSC02247.JPG

DSC02249.JPG

Then I got to thinking, that was a lot of work to get that thing off, and its going to rain this weekend...

So off to the internet gods I went.

And I found Softopper.com!

Needless to say I placed my order, and it was shipped the next day! Impressive if you ask me, anytime I have ordered aftermarket parts in the past they take 3-5 days to even ship. And keep in mind this was memorial day weekend.

Got this box in the mail yesterday:
DSC03999.JPG

DSC04001.JPG

I was like wth that's a small ass box, how in the world is a soft top going to fit in there?

I got out the tools and materials which I figured would be required:
14 stock hard top bolts
6 inch socket extension
12mm socket
Rachet
Razor blade (to open the box)
Medium sized Phillips (not pictured)
Cordless drill (not pictured)

Took everything out of the box and started reading:

DSC04011.JPG

DSC04003.JPG

Starting to actually look like a softtop! Amazing how much crap can be crammed into a box that small. Everything was packed really well, with extra padding on all the metal parts.

Last pics of her before install:

DSC04007.JPG

DSC04008.JPG

Installed the first bracket, fit like a glove, over the factory weather stripping. Uses 6 of the factory bolt holes and 6 factory bolts. It has button snaps on the side closest to the weather strip, and includes an additional weather strip.

DSC04013.JPG

DSC04014.JPG

DSC04015.JPG

Next I installed the "rails" with the button snaps on each side. This used the factory bolt holes also, 3 bolts per side (you end up with 2 left over factory bolts and holes, I put the bolts in eventually just so they are there when I need them if I ever decide to put the hard top back on.

Lining it up before I tightened it down:
DSC04018.JPG

Installed:
DSC04016.JPG

DSC04019.JPG

Next you install these funky plastic brackets:

DSC04021.JPG

DSC04020.JPG

Then start building the "frame":

DSC04022.JPG

DSC04023.JPG

DSC04025.JPG

DSC04024.JPG

Next you drape the soft top over the roll bar and snap it to the frame in the very back of the truck that you just built, (I also snapped the ones in the front):

DSC04029.JPG

Then slowly but surely snap all of the buttons (probably would be easier on a hot day, the canvas was not very forgiving).

DSC04031.JPG

DSC04032.JPG

DSC04033.JPG

Then you build a metal bar (3 pieces, uses 2 self tapping screws, this is where you use the power drill) that goes through a sleeve in the rear window and attaches to the funky plastic brackets pictured up above. Sorry didn't take pics of it, it was getting late, wanted to get it finished up. Then you simply zip and velcro the rear window.

DSC04034.JPG

DSC04035.JPG

Comes with a great canvas bag to store the top in if you want to put it down completely:

DSC04036.JPG

Completed:

DSC04039.JPG

DSC04037.JPG

(dont mind the micro fiber towel, was cleaning in that area to install some extra weather striping, included with the package)

DSC04040.JPG

DSC04041.JPG

In my opinion it was worth every penny! It also included clips to roll up the sides and rear windows, basically making it into a bikini top. And the rear window is removable if desired.

The fitment turned out great, with minor adjustments. The kit also included some seam sealer, some padding for the frame that goes in between the frame and the windows to avoid discoloration, and some velcro for the rear tail gate (optional) for the rear window to attach to.

Overall it took me close to 2 hours to install. But now that I have done it once, I could do it again with my eyes closed in about 30 min.

Man I miss my fourrunner.

I hate you.

you would mine leaked bad after i removed it, but it was leaking before too, just not all the way in the truck, so i had some rust under it.

i put the soft topper on and it has not leaked since!

Makes me want to get a 4Runner.:D I bet the Runner takes off a little quicker due to losing a few pounds.:)

First off, very sweet 4runner

I run mine topless all the time & love it

I ordered my soft top from the same company & its due to arrive on Monday, which will be 3 business days from.when I ordered it

I know it looked sweet & they got great reviews.....thanks for all the pics, details & good words about the top

I am even more excited than ever.....almost paid nearly what this cost new, for a used cam-top, or can-top

Glad I went this route. I got the charcoal grey color. Asked for the rear screen window for fathers day!

The only thing I dislike about going topless, is I forget to lock the tailgate & that light on the dash that says rear door lights up & I gotta get out & lock it......that's annoying

that is the only 4play style i like and buddy, that is a FINE example. congrats.
the soft top just adds to the beauty.

cheers

Nice Rig, good write up....

Beautiful, and I'm officially jealous, now, with that said..

*I am not trying to sound like a dick, just being realistic here from experience and telling you how to keep that beautiful rig yours..

Go back on your posts and remove and edit the pics with your license plate showing, always blur them out along with any identifying address info (like the #'s on your garage/front door), better yet, take pics outside of your area.

Go back and remove your reply with your location.

Go in and put a kill switch system in your truck, right now.

Go in an put in an alarm system with dual shock sensors and a rear movement sensor.

It's bad enough these are easily stolen..it's worse that you've posted it publicly with an easily traceable location..but worst you put on a soft top which makes breaking in even easier.

One of our local guys has had his stolen twice in the last year and a half..because he didn't listen to my advise.

The only thing I dislike about going topless, is I forget to lock the tailgate & that light on the dash that says rear door lights up & I gotta get out & lock it......that's annoying

*I can't remember if the up/down switch on the 1st-Gens works if the tops disconnected..2nd-Gens you simply look backwards going "Crap" while hitting the up switch. :D

There is a switch that is activated by one of the bolts that holds the top on, so if the top is off the window won't go up... But with a soft top on, the bolt is back in... I would pull the switch out of the console, and unplug it till you decided to reinstall the top.

one of the bolts from the soft topper goes into the safety switch, this will allow you to push the window up button and lock the door, but remember to put it back down right after you do that, or you will be bitching about how much a pain it is that you keep forgetting to put the window all the way back down and can not unlock the rear door! :hillbilly:

Mods, please delete this thread. I will repost with plates and address blocked out.

I see you fixed the pics so I went ahead and deleted your location post and restored the thread.

Super nice 4R, BTW.

SHIZAMM!! Now this is nice. This will look great on mine rig. I have asked in a few threads across a few forums about these. The response from owners has been positive, but none are as comprehensive as this. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see. Time to order one next week. MANY THANKS!

Go in and put a kill switch system in your truck, right now.

Go in an put in an alarm system with dual shock sensors and a rear movement sensor.

Does anyone recommend a system that meets these requirements? I looked last night but could not come up with anything conclusive.

Does anyone recommend a system that meets these requirements? I looked last night but could not come up with anything conclusive.

A "system" is exactly what you don't want. Some alarms will have a provision for some sort of kill. It's best to make something custom to keep the bad guys from figuring it out. There are several places to kill the engine. Fuel, EFI, ignition come to mind. Get creative.

Don't expect many, if anybody, to share with you the specifics of what they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom