Builds My GCC Spec FZJ80 - Restoration and 1HD-FTE Conversion (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@gnarlynick2072 how many KM on this 80?

It’s got 250,000 km (154,000 miles). More than I expected but it’s manageable. It was expat driven and never wheeled. By comparison my FZJ100 has 179,000 km when I imported it but it was wheeled for a lot of its life.

Spent my last day in Saudi taking the truck to some dunes. Went down an abandoned road on the coast of the Persian Gulf.

9F6EDF9E-D622-46CD-95FB-D4A3C1C47A07.jpeg

59871EEC-1342-421C-964F-8FBB2628CCE9.jpeg

And managed to get stuck in insane traffic driving back. Notice, in true Middle East fashion people driving on the shoulder AND in the ditch to get around the grid lock. Sheesh.

5DDBEFD4-6D55-4678-8196-7DF04BA526D5.jpeg

Now, time to start the export paper work!

I’m used to seeing the British Columbia CL ads for all the RHD 80’s coming in, and they just don’t “ring the bell” for me - but yours is damn cool!

I’m not into barn doors for the way I like to use the back as a ‘hooch’ in the rain with a place to park my cheeks & a roof overhead, but to each their own.

Odd, but cool - I’m liking those 3 horizontal bars that look like a perfect dog barrier so you can leave the sliders full open either direction, and a “towel/clothes/whatever rack when you set up a camp.

If you could shoot a few shots of how those integrate into the windows, that would be cool - or if you think you want to ditch ‘em, shoot me a PM, my dog would dig ‘em!

Those three window bars would have been wiped off the side in some of the wheeling I've done in the past.

My HDJ81 had a single horizontal bar at mid window height inside the cargo area. It was handy, until I bent them using them to strap cargo in.

The 80 has finally landed in Canada!

Flew to Abbotsford and took a taxi to the warehouse where my broker was storing it. Fired right up too!

374F436D-D4EE-4567-9014-C7CD96AD2168.jpeg

First order of business - buy windshield wipers for the drive to Calgary. These are almost never used in the Middle East so they are dried up to the point of being useless. And Vancouver is quite rainy this time of year!

DDEFE0B6-21C1-461A-B088-02FF9CCF44FA.jpeg

Solid work!!

So you have two GCC spec trucks. Pretty sweet!!

Thanks! GCC trucks have their ups and downs that’s for sure.

Wonderful fall weekend in BC. On the road to Alberta with a stopover in the Okanagan.

67024C74-C4FD-471F-8E68-41B8A5A8087C.jpeg

1B4CAC06-7961-4F89-9ADA-B10D4DF94A84.jpeg

Did an oil change on my FZJ100 and finally had both my GCC trucks side by side in Canada. Funny to think both these vehicles lived in the same small town in Saudi Arabia for two decades and they wound up in the same place half way across the world.

I’ll be working on the 80 in 2020, so stay tuned! Might even start a YouTube series on my restoration progress on the 80.

F266FDC0-A768-4974-BD86-A23FC2F90691.jpeg

388344EB-766B-4377-B0E6-C9D2A4A1BB98.jpeg

7F7B18E9-DAEC-4F3A-A4A7-59FCB0E28B91.jpeg

So I’ve made the crazy decision that I’ll be frame off restoring the 80. I was inspired by the FJ Company’s work and obviously TLC4x4’s content on YouTube including Joe Rogans 80 video... so here goes nothing!

Plan is simple.

1. Full tear down to ladder frame
2. Procure all parts needed for the restoration. Easier said than done since a lot of parts are long gone.
3. Engine conversion and rebuild
4. Put it all back together with some additional modern day flare
5. Produce a YouTube series to take place of this build thread.
6. Drive my restored 80 across North America and into South America

Here’s a taste of just a mere fraction of the parts I’ve already bought.

7D940F2B-EBBC-4C8F-BF3A-47C3D2334EF3.jpeg

F5304204-45A4-4507-9ADF-47C100E33CDA.jpeg

As for the engine conversion, no crazy 80 build would be compete without the venerable 1HD-FT. I decided to purchase a donor instead of piecing together individual parts. In theory this makes the conversion almost affordable.

I won an auction in Japan for a 95 HDJ81 with only 198k km on the clock for less than buying a 1HD-FT by itself. It’s in killer shape and will also supply many of the other parts I’ll need in the restoration like better condition trim, seats, sunroof, etc...

F13E0B55-AF7D-48F5-8642-EBB14AE142F0.jpeg

5BFA0560-B402-47C8-AFBB-709391DB2449.jpeg

More to come!

Had some incredible luck this week during my journey for new parts for my restoration.

Managed to find NOS of the sub tank gauge w/ altimeter in Saudi Arabia. Check this out!

UTUU6529.JPG

MBPN2311.JPG

QCDZ6453.JPG

So update with my progress and project scope...

After a lot of research and internal debate, I have decided to go for a 1HD-FTE swap instead. Part of the reasoning lies in the availability of FT parts. The FT is just such a rare motor and worth so much money it just doesn't make sense to keep it. Additionally, I plan on restoring this truck so it'll last me another 10 - 15 years and there is a much better likelihood of FTE parts being available by then compared to FT. Also the FTE seems to be much more refined, smoother, quieter, less smoke. I'm not a rumble tumble type guy so it's a better fit for me anyways.

With that being said, I found a buyer for the FT and found a good condition FTE in Japan that a local importer can bring in for me for HALF the price of an FT. Crazy.

Got the donor truck in my new garage! Started taking it apart and selling parts. I haven't put it on the part out page since I'm keeping so many components but feel free to reach out if anyone is looking for something specific!

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

Started to stockpile and organize parts I'm keeping. Making me REALLY happy that I decided to import an entire vehicle, there's so many mint condition parts I can use on my FZJ80 restoration. It's easily paid for itself twice over. For example, the door cards look INCREDIBLE!

IMG_3789.JPG

Also I've been continuing my search for NOS and new parts for my restoration stockpile. I got SUPER lucky as I managed to find an NOS upper and lower dash in Europe! WOW!

1.jpg

6.jpg

Now that I have finished my FZJ100 1HD-FTE conversion, I'm on to the next project. Finally getting back on this thread after a 3 year hiatus.

The 80 is back in the garage and ready for restoration and 1HD-FTE conversion!

FZJ80 5.jpg

FZJ80 4.jpg

First step - gutting the interior. Lots of clean up work to do. I'm very happy I parted out the HDJ81 as that has given me a full clean interior to swap into this thing. I was on the fence about keeping the rear A/C, and after a few beers I decided f it, let's keep it in.

The body is in fantastic shape, near zero rust. The biggest issues have been rubbers and plastics. I'm assuming all rubber components are toast and I am replacing every single seal on the vehicle. The most difficult ones may be the barn door glass seals as they are (for some unknown reason) ...discontinued. So those are staying in.

FZJ80 3.jpg

FZJ80 7.jpg

Barn door glass seals seem ok... and no leaks so fingers crossed they stay that way for the foreseeable future. All hinge/lock components have been replace on the barn doors. I'm just waiting for my buddy to swing by to push out the giant dent on the large door, which occurred early in my 80's life.

FZJ80 8.jpg

Parts are still rolling in... some people can probably relate that sometimes timelines for these projects are purely based on budget. Can only spend so much every month on this thing.

Managed to get a full set of chrome door handles. All other colors are gonzo, pretty much impossible to get a full set in anything other than chrome. But that's ok.

FZJ80 9.jpg

I took a stab at restoring the fridge console first. My next door neighbor is very adept at leather work, and restored the upper lid cover for me. I think he did a stellar job! Very happy with it.

Fridge has new switch, and eventually I'll install the new OEM fridge console evaporator and expansion valve, all from my Saudi OEM parts connection.

FZJ80 10.jpg

FZJ80 11.jpg

Dent Day!

My buddy @veiloctane came over yesterday to give me a hand. He’s a skilled PDR guy and managed to push out the massive dent in the large barn door!

IMG_2069.jpeg

IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

Much much better. I’m very happy. It’s set up now for the body shop, just needs some sanding/filler and paint.

Also we put the headliner back in after I swapped out the full sunroof assembly from my HDJ81 donor. Sunroof is working again. Gotta clean my headliner still though…

IMG_2077.jpeg

dude, I forgot how small a stock 80 looks next to mine!!! hahaha

Glad I can help

Took a break from wrenching in the garage and prepped up my cluster.

As far as I understand from various conversions, it’s better to keep the 1FZ tach for the FTE digital tach signal so I’ve chosen not to go with the OEM diesel tach here.

I managed to find everything brand new except the tach and circuit board / back plate. Installing the new clear plastic housing makes a HUGE difference!

IMG_2100.jpeg

IMG_2103.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom