Builds My GCC Spec 1HD-FTE Converted FZJ100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this your opportunity to do a body lift? ;)

Dana, you're hilarious. lol

Very interesting about the body mounts. I haven't done a lot of inspection yet, but I've got what I'd describe as a "creaking" when weight shifts front to back (primarily, I think). After checking everything suspension related, I'm pretty convinced it's the body mounts. Please post more as you clean/get into it.

Yeah it can cause a creak for sure. My cab literally rattles over bumps so mine are well past bad.

So I got an email from my Dad who was in contact with the original owner of my 100. He sent me a pic of it in the desert in Saudi Arabia back around ~2006. Very cool.

23r.jpg

Dana, you're hilarious. lol

Yeah it can cause a creak for sure. My cab literally rattles over bumps so mine are well past bad.

So I got an email from my Dad who was in contact with the original owner of my 100. He sent me a pic of it in the desert in Saudi Arabia back around ~2006. Very cool.

View attachment 1741972
Let us know how hard it is to change the body mounts and if it makes a difference

Long overdue for an update.

Ended up changing ALL my body mounts on the truck. A bit overkill but I wanted to make everything consistent.

Body mounts definitely helped the chassis "shake" when going over bumps. Also changing body mounts was fairly easy, I was quite surprised.

Took the truck to BC a couple weeks ago. Performed great! No MPG numbers at the moment, but was pretty much as expected for general fuel usage. Definitely worse than my diesel but not magnitudes worse. Was great driving through the mountains and not having to worry about those damn EGTs! The 2nd gen 1FZ is pretty much a worry free motor at the moment compared to my 1HD-T.

IMG_3423.JPG

Next projects will be my driveline vibration. I'm fairly certain it is the t case. The PO didn't lube the front drive shaft which grenaded the u joints which wiped out the front t case bearing and seal. The combination of the low oil level and bearing shavings I'm sure did something in there. At least the gearbox is solid. Shifts very nice.

Also have a throw out bearing noise so clutch is also on the list! Will take lots of pics of a clutch job on a 100 series. :)

What an awesome truck! I am a big fan of the FZ-FE. I really wanna order some chrome door handles and mirrors, even my 62 came with chrome mirrors and handles. How were all the weather seals after all the years around sand and a dry climate?

What an awesome truck! I am a big fan of the FZ-FE. I really wanna order some chrome door handles and mirrors, even my 62 came with chrome mirrors and handles. How were all the weather seals after all the years around sand and a dry climate?

Thanks! I've been a fan of this thing so far. Much more work to be done, though! The chrome door handles and mirrors are all factory. Pretty pricey though!

The weather seals have been holding. It's been in a lot of rain and so far it's been fine. It's been mostly seals and rubbers around the motor and suspension that have been hard and brittle so far. The middle east is VERY harsh climate for vehicles so no wonder they prefer Toyotas.

Haven't updated this in a while! I've been focusing all my efforts on an H151F rebuild for a fellow cruiser head and fixing up my diesel 80 series for sale.

IMG_3543.JPG

We got our first snowfall today which coincidentally is the 100's first snow fall.

IMG_3597.JPG

I only have decals on one side at the moment as the old decals left baked in marks from the heat. So basically I have to paint the RH side of the truck if I want the decals. Current plan is to paint, decal and snorkel all at once. And also delete those damn side markers that the inspectors put on the truck to get it road legal in Canada :mad:

Interestingly, the little orange side lights just below the side mirrors are one reliable way of determining whether a model 100 is US spec or GCC spec. The GCC spec trucks have it. The North American spec trucks do not.

I have a North American spec 100 1998 and a GCC spec 80 1993 in transit back to the USA. They should arrive in Baltimore in a week or so. Quite excited about that!

Well I have to pull the trigger on rear bushings. Seems that all of them are toast. That includes all 4 control arms (8 bushings) and the panhard bar. Basically my whole rear axle is shaking around. Explains a lot. It's a PITA that Toyota doesn't sell the bushings by themselves so I have to procure the entire arm assemblies which adds a ton of cost.

Interestingly, the little orange side lights just below the side mirrors are one reliable way of determining whether a model 100 is US spec or GCC spec. The GCC spec trucks have it. The North American spec trucks do not.

I have a North American spec 100 1998 and a GCC spec 80 1993 in transit back to the USA. They should arrive in Baltimore in a week or so. Quite excited about that!

Very cool! What a coincidence that you mentioned a GCC spec 80 series as a lot of my time has been consumed with my next import. My dream truck became available and I'm purchasing and importing into Canada. '96 Saudi Spec FZJ80. I think I'll have one of the rarest collections of cruisers in Canada when it gets here. lol

FZXH4705.JPG

ELKJ1623.JPG

Stay tuned for more FZJ100 stuff at the end of the month!

Well I have to pull the trigger on rear bushings. Seems that all of them are toast. That includes all 4 control arms (8 bushings) and the panhard bar. Basically my whole rear axle is shaking around. Explains a lot. It's a PITA that Toyota doesn't sell the bushings by themselves so I have to procure the entire arm assemblies which adds a ton of cost.

Let me know how the rear end feels after new bushings, I need to do mine too

I’m WAY overdue for an update!

I replaced all the rear control arm bushings with the full Toyota arm assemblies since the bushings aren’t sold separately. I ended up replacing the upper and lower control arms AND the rear panhard bar (which I think often gets missed for maintenance).

0938239D-E9B3-43CF-94D2-57BEF867E6A9.jpeg

4D029587-CAC8-4C96-A86E-4A4E8E3118A4.jpeg

AC712715-0846-4DA2-9B44-F22C42327289.jpeg

The ride difference was VERY significant. Granted my old bushings were certainly toast. You could see the rubber cracking and some of them were actually separating completely and coming apart.

Next project: Transfer Case

So when I replaced the front output seal and bearing it looked like it had been leaking for a significant amount of time. And, considering the black sludge I saw inside the case, it seems that it had been driven on low oil for a while. I previously didn’t have time for a full rebuild so I just replaced the gear oil.

10,000km after replacing the oil I drained the case, and sure enough - black oil. Definitely toast.

So I bought all the bearings, seals, springs, goodies for the rebuild.

T case came out tonight no problem.

80EBFE6C-E361-42C0-B0F5-A788D91DCB29.jpeg

Well I'm back in Saudi Arabia for Christmas.

Kind of ironic that my Saudi cruiser is freezing away in Calgary while I'm back in the desert enjoying the weather.

Some news, my folks inherited an FZJ100 from a family friend that tragically passed away. He loved his 4wds and we want it to go to a good home to honour his memory. At some point I'll put it up in the 100 series classifieds for sale, but if anyone is interested in it let me know! 300,000km but lots of stuff has been replaced and long range sub tank to boot. 1999 model.

View attachment 1597446

View attachment 1597447

View attachment 1597448

Sorry for your lose. Very cool 100.

Did you sell this one? Is it coming to Canada?

Sorry for your lose. Very cool 100.

Did you sell this one? Is it coming to Canada?

Nope my parents still have it. At the moment I have no plans to ship it to Canada. It has a lot of kms and needs work. Would have to go to someone who wants a rare project truck.

Made some T Case rebuild progress this weekend.

Had to use my air hose tee to remove the staked nut from the output shaft. Made quick work of it!

009BCA3A-5491-442E-8609-CEF33A0539E9.jpeg

Spools came out quite easily.

CA36C8BA-DD80-4C7C-9ACB-89252C48F263.jpeg

Also, took some figuring out but finally got that middle race removed! I’d say that’s the trickiest bit of this whole thing. Plus a couple difficult bearing pulls.

E43DCBD5-C6DF-4BA9-9828-801B3BC363D3.jpeg

Gnarleynick2072
I have been following your GCC Spec 100 posts. I have two 100 series Land Cruisers, a 1998 and 2006. Thought I would introduce myself and offer to help with the transfer case rebuild. I need to replace the seals on my 1998 transfer case and seeing yours go together would be helpful. Also nice to have someone local to discuss Land Cruiser issues.
Hugh Calgary
(403) 512-1145

T case casing is off to the machine shop for cleaning.

Turns out, pressing out bearings on a 98+ version HF1A is VERY difficult. There are several bearings that require special tools which are otherwise next to impossible to remove. Namely the roller bearing on the input shaft next to the gear. On the older versions, the gear is pressed off which leaves room to press the bearing. On this one, the gear and shaft are cast together so you have to somehow get behind the bearing with very little room. Hence, I gave up and sent the shafts to a shop to have the tough bearings removed. There is also a needle bearing INSIDE the output shaft that takes a bit of fighting to remove. I’ll take pics when it comes together to show everyone.

So anyone that’s going to attempt rebuilding an HF1A, just FYI, rebuilding an H151F gearbox is peanuts compared to that t case.

In the mean time I changed out my spare battery in preparation for my upcoming dual battery setup and replaced the output seal and o ring on the oil pump of the H151F transmission since it’s exposed with the t case removed.

B1F2B826-DD85-4110-9541-083F1DC84AE0.jpeg

A8042CB5-6D46-44A5-BEB4-2C3D628290F0.jpeg

Made some more progress on the t case.

New needle bearing in the hi/low shaft.

And shaft coming together with new bearings, new synchro and other little bits.

And pressed in the others bearings as well. So much faster compared to bearing removal.

HF1A rebuild still coming along. Got the casing back from the machine shop and it's looking good! Pressed new bearing races and seals in and put the gear spools in last night.

Lots of progress over the weekend and this week.

Completed HF1A rebuild. Put the casing back together and sealed with Toyota 1281 FIPG. It’s expensive stuff but easily worth it. Nothing much to report on, just followed the FSM for reassembly. Checked the thrust clearance for the taper bearing spacers and mine was right on the money. So i ended up reusing the spacers.

Installed a new radio and CB into the dash. Whoever did the previous radio for some reason cut the stock radio harness!! What a PITA. I ended up having to solder inside the dash.

Also had some fun replacing buttons so everything looked new.

Additionally I went the extra mile and routed my hands free calling mic on my rear view mirror. This meant removing my dash cluster and pillar trim to route the wire behind the dash, up the pillar and inside the roof liner. Pretty happy with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom