My FZJ80 Build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to start a thread to log everything I do to my new 80.
With this in mind ill take more pictures of the things I do.
Everything done so far:
Head machined, valves adjusted.
Head gasket replaced.
New filters throughout.
New fluid throughout.
New rear brake calipers, Brake pads front and rear.
New window switches throughout.
Fitted Some steel wheels, I don't remember where I got them or what they're from.
Bfg km2's
Installed a center diff switch.

Things I am planning or need to do:
I have an ARB front bumper on order, and a spare winch laying around to mount up.
Finish de-flaring it, Gotta weld up the holes
I am going to make a rear bumper myself, Mainly to save money.
Mount the Rock sliders I have laying around.
Replace all the speakers
Deep clean the poor thing.
Fix slight coolant leak.
Swap the grill and headlights from an aus spec 80 series.
Install tailgate storage.
Rear drawers, or whatever you call them.
Install temp gauge.
Replace o2 sensors.

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry if my formatting is terrible! I've never been one to use forums, But I figure ill give it a shot!

fj2.jpg

Welcome to mud... the good news is that you are in the right place to find endless pages of info about your 80 and most of it will actually be helpful.

today I put in a booster out of a 91 fj80,
fixed my brake problem.
I replaced the headlight switch.
and I installed my cool new tailgate storage thingy!
first I had to mark my gate with the supplied template.
20201228_160217.jpg

next up was cutting the sheet metal out of the way.
20201228_164510.jpg

I cleaned up the rough edges with a file and razor blade, then through some paint on so it wouldn't rust.
20201228_171846.jpg

I really like the finished product, It's nice having a place to put the little things without cluttering up the rest of the rig.

I drove it to Arizona for a quail hunt with the family, and I've learned a lot about this particular 80.

whoever messed with the 02 sensor wiring deserves to be shot. it started blowing the EFI fuse about as far out of civilization you can get. blew 2 fuses about 5 minutes apart, looked it over real close and couldn't find the culprit, I did find a loose fuel injector plug. maybe that will fix the intermittent idle problems.
got back to town on a couple fuses, it died at a stop light. but I threw one in real quick and made it to a parking lot to look at it. and the 02 sensor wiring was against the front driveshaft.

I fixed that along with a broken 02 sensor wire, guess what? no more code 26!

other than that it needs new springs. with everyone's gear in the back it sits about an inch off the bump stops, still rides good though. some damn soft bump stops of you ask me. does anyone have any recommendations for springs? I don't want to lift it more than an inch, maybe 2.

I'll edit this post when I get home so it isn't so terrible to read.

I have an interesting question for you all, my check engine light has come back.
one thing I noticed when the check engine light is on, the transmission is starting in second gear. is this some sort of limp mode or what?

I have an interesting question for you all, my check engine light has come back.
one thing I noticed when the check engine light is on, the transmission is starting in second gear. is this some sort of limp mode or what?

Maybe you have second gear start pressed by accident, and a burnt out indicator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom