My front drive shaft musing…… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @baldilocks thanks for chiming in. When I said a DCDS doesn’t work for everyone I took that from an 80 owner who after his lift couldn’t get the front vibe out even with the dc shaft. So he just lowered his rig to solve the problem. I was thinking of lowering mine back to a respectable 2.5 but it looks like in the end the DCDS will be the least expensive? I don’t use this rig like I used to and sometimes feel like I have too much lift? Because my OEM ds is balanced in the 90* out of phase thats how I am running it. I tried it in phase and of course had increased vibrations.
I’ll look at the math you brought up in your post later! In the front I have Dobinsons springs (the best) which give me a strong 3.5” lift even when loaded. I’m using @landtank 2.5 castor plates which puts my castor within spec. If I remember, my TC flange points up at about 4 degrees and the front pinion is rolled about 2.5 degrees downward. So there is quite a twist on my OEM shaft.
I was going to contact TW with my flange angles to see if a dcds will help me? Most likely LT also.

devo

The reading you need for verifying alignment for a DC shaft is the operating angle of the front u-joint at the diff.

Rotate the drive shaft so one of the u-joint end caps associated with the companion flange is pointing straight down. Then using a socket to space out the angle finder, to ensure an accurate reading on the cap, record that angle and then place the angle finder on the underside of the drive shaft tube and compare that reading to the one from the cap.

You want to be less than a 1* difference.

I went through this with another member with the same setup and a DC shaft took care of his vibs.

Hey @baldilocks thanks for chiming in. When I said a DCDS doesn’t work for everyone I took that from an 80 owner who after his lift couldn’t get the front vibe out even with the dc shaft. So he just lowered his rig to solve the problem. I was thinking of lowering mine back to a respectable 2.5 but it looks like in the end the DCDS will be the least expensive? I don’t use this rig like I used to and sometimes feel like I have too much lift? Because my OEM ds is balanced in the 90* out of phase thats how I am running it. I tried it in phase and of course had increased vibrations.
I’ll look at the math you brought up in your post later! In the front I have Dobinsons springs (the best) which give me a strong 3.5” lift even when loaded. I’m using @landtank 2.5 castor plates which puts my castor within spec. If I remember, my TC flange points up at about 4 degrees and the front pinion is rolled about 2.5 degrees downward. So there is quite a twist on my OEM shaft.
I was going to contact TW with my flange angles to see if a dcds will help me? Most likely LT also.

devo
4* up on the front companion flange sounds like double the norm. I hope your front pinion flange is not 2* down. If so, a dc shaft won’t help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom