My front bumper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why would you want to paint that grill? It looks great raw. Nice job all around.

Looks like all of the aluminum is getting polished and the truck will be red. I think.:confused:

Been though this several times. They usually don't care. Its free advertisment. Some companies do care. As long as I'm not making millions, they won't even bother. If I sold 10,000 of them a month, they might give me a call. The emblem is a little different than stock. Thats what matters. It's not exactly the same shape, but you will probally never notice. Of course I could make one with a :flipoff2: in the center!:beer:

Sounds like you know the drill.

Trademark holders are required to defend their marks in order to retain title to them. This gives them some motivation to pursue even small-time infringers where it seems like there is little or no economic incentive to do so. As long as there are bigger counterfeiters than you and/or you are not blowing out production, there are probably no worries (although I suspect that the threshold is somewhere way south of 10,000 units).

Also having an emblem that is a little different than Toyota's won't protect you. Exact replication is not the standard for trademark infringement.

I used to work in the Porsche-Auid-VW market. We were once sued for a t-shirt that had a watercolor of an A4 and a GTI on it. They didn't like the artist's rendering of their emblems. Porsche issued a cease-and-desist because had the sillohuette of a slipstream of a 911. It is trademarked and they defend it with a vengance. Dont have any exp. of this with Toyota though.

I think a "DIY weld together kit" is very good thought. The way I cut the parts, it all "tabs" in together so it would be really hard to screw it up. The only way I would do this is with the understanding that this is not bolt-on! There is a lot of cutting and fabricating involved enen if I supplied the bumper parts. There will be many hours welding and grinding! How you cut the body is up to you. I would supply directions. I've talked to Woody about being a vendor, so that will be taken care of. If there is the demand, I might just do it. Let me know what ya think. Now, I have to go weld some more.:beer:

Have you given this idea anymore thought? I think that I would love to have a :bounce:"GLW Puzzle Bumper in a Box" :bounce: This thing is wicked! I'm good with puzzles, I'm a decent welder, and I have some spare tyme(being Mr. MoM, and all)......Now, all I need is some bumper pieces! I know that your not totally finished fabing yet, but do you have some sort of idea on a DIY kit? Once again, awsome work!

tONy

Now that you have named it, I will put a package together and see what happens. Give me a little time. Spent 4 hours grinding on the bumper over the weekend. Tube work starts this weekend.:D

I'll take one!

Now that you have named it, I will put a package together and see what happens. Give me a little time. Spent 4 hours grinding on the bumper over the weekend. Tube work starts this weekend.:D

Sign me up for a kit if the $$ is right! New welder, no waterjet cutter! I think the functionality of the ARB is great but too bulky out front, this is the "kind" of thing in my brain, but this is way out of my league for fab work. Make a buck but put it in reach for the masses and you'll sell many I'd guess!

Others have commented on how close to the body work it is, that was my first impression. It's tucked up nicely, but I would put it no closer than the original stock piece.

Dan.

I am lovin' the bumper! I can't wait to see what it looks like finished. You have some wicked CAD skills and fab skills, when are you getting started on the rear bumper? Love it, again!

Thanks! I'll start cutting the rear as soon as the front is coated and on. SOON! So lets see. Thats finish front, finish roof rack, start on rear bumper, start on sliders, start on drawer system, cut more york brackets, cut tailgate pieces, finish shock mounts for Billies and mounts for air bags, finish the grille and paint the truck. But before I can do any of this, I have to make stuff for customers.:eek::flipoff2:

Oh I forgot the 4BTA and ZF 5-speed conversion plus the Volvo portals that George is gonna send me!

Last edited:
Right, so you will have kits priced and ready to ship by Sunday since we are customers now? :)

top bar Q?

Maybe a dumb question, from the pic in post #37, does the top bar go straight across or does it bend down and terminate at the top of the bumper ?

Dan, salivating for the kit.

If you are asking about the brushguard tube, that pic was for "thinking about it" purposes. The actual tube will follow the curve of the hood , wrap around the parking lights and down to the bumper. There are a total of 7 bends in this tube. I'll post pics when I get finished bending it.

I think DIY would be great. I would buy one. I think you could just keep it simple. Offer it with or w/o the tubes. Just offer a steel (unfinished) or aluminum grill. I would rather have it as a replacement grill personally, but that may not be possible. Could the stock grill be used if cut? The easier for you, the better. I think it's best if you don't spread yourself too thin because I've been there and it sucks. Let us do all the finish work & you can draw up more innovative ideas. Nice work once again!
:beer:

-Andy

Andy, I cut my factory grille even with the bottom of the headlight trim and it looked good. I just made the new grille for something different. I'm still working up the plans for the DIY kit.

I like your grill, I was just curious. Please contact me if this DIY thing happens. I wonder if the airflow to the radiator will be a problem? Let me know how it all goes... And get busy on the rear! ;);) :bounce:

Bumper and grill are way cool. :D Are you ready to go to market with either one yet?

Not yet but I'm working on it.:D

Made a liitle more progress:)
e7a29fd5.jpg

e7a29fd1.jpg

e7a29fc6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom