My Free 1998 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDK

Can’t dance
Threads
Figured it was time to post a proper ownership thread of one of my cruisers - an unnamed (as of now) 1998 100 Series.
That I got for free.

Photo May 29, 5 17 47 PM.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A 100 series with under 250k miles, rear diff lock, no rust, and no body damage for free?

Yeah right. Sure. Whats the catch?

Give me a minute and I'll explain!

Photo May 19, 12 40 00 PM.jpg

It started with a 1991 4Runner I picked up off Craigslist for $900. It was a little over an hour away from me, and I decided to head out with a friend and drive it home without knowing what condition it was in. It turned out to be a little rusty, but after seeing the absurd 4-5" lift and 35" BFG AT's, I was sold. $900??? o_O The PO mentioned having intermittent starting problems, but when I showed up to take it for a test drive it fired right up and went down the road without an issue. No sweat- it's mine. Drove it home that day, and soon after gave it a refresh with new spark plugs, plug cables, air filter, fuel filter, and oil change. I had never driven nor owned a 4Runner before and after owning Honda Pilots, a Land Rover Discovery II, and a 1985 FJ60, it felt so light and quick that I had a blast riding it around town. After a few days of ownership and post-refresh: it left me stranded in a Tractor Supply Co parking lot.

Heartbreaking, I know right?
But this was an expected failure, and after letting it sit for around 45 minutes it fired right back up and didn't let me down again. Soon after this happened I took it to the local Crutchfield for some new speakers (old speakers sounded like something from the X-Files they were so blown) and when I picked it up, the installer mentioned that the aftermarket security system was spliced into the starter wire, and after butt-splicing the original starter wire back together it never failed me again. I drove it to visit my girlfriend in ohio, 7-8hr drive from where I live in southern VA, and back home again with no problems (other than the 65mph - downhill - max speed:bang:). Remember this is a $900, 30yr old car that I've put ~$100 in parts/oil change in total. But - as most of you would understand - I had one huge problem with it...
Photo May 31, 5 13 56 PM.jpg

It wasn't a LAND CRUISER!

But I had one major hang-up. With no extra cash in my budget, if I sold this 4Runner the $$$ would have to cover the cost of a new-to-me vehicle. At first I didn't even consider a Cruiser to be an option because in what world could I get a reliable, good-enough-condition land cruiser for the price of a 30yr old beat up 4Runner? I'm 21 and do not have a salary or trust fund or any sort of extravagant income for my age so I really wasn't in the market for a COMPLETE OVERHAUL ICON 4X4 BUILD or even a set of ARB bumpers! I needed a well taken care of, dependable car. At first I was considering newer 4Runners, and after seeing the prices on FB Marketplace and Craigslist, I listed my gem of a 4Runner for $3500. It ran well, the interior was 9.5/10, and had fresh speakers. I figured I would reach for the stars and maybe get $2500? After I listed my truck I began looking for replacements, and noticed an all white 100 Series in my area with 220k miles listed for $6500. Looked nice but more than double what I expected to get for my truck, so, not an option.

A week passes and after entertaining a few interested buyers, I receive a $3,500 cash offer. WHAT? :bounce2: Now I really felt the crunch to seal a deal on a replacement vehicle. I decided to reach out to the $6,500 100 Series owner and just take a look. It had some problems starting, the sunroof was sealed shut by some clear packing tape, and the front seats had holes ripped in multiple places. But- it had lived in Georgia for most of its life, resulting in a clean and rust-free undercarriage and body. And it had actually spent some time shipped off to Alaska and Wyoming for hunting trips with a PO.

Photo May 31, 2 21 07 PM.jpg

Rust free, 220k miles, all-white, and a cool backstory?

Considering the condition of the interior, and the problems it had starting, the seller was kind and offered to work with me on the price. After some back and forth, we agreed on $3,500. I took the cash from my 4Runner, the seller met me at my house, and I had myself a 1998 100 Series Land Cruiser sitting in my driveway. :steer:

"But... You paid $900 for the 4Runner, and $100 in parts. So $1,000 out of your pocket. Even though you sold it for $3,500, how does that make that 100 a free car?"

rawImage.jpg

I only have good ol' DONALD TRUMP to thank for that!

I had originally used my $1,200 stimulus deposit to pay for the 4Runner. Making this Land Cruiser totally free.

I've now owned this cruiser for approximately 2 months, and after having a timing belt/water pump job done on it, I am really enjoying it. Looking forward to sharing progress, meeting other 100 owners, and asking many-many questions to try and figure out how to truly love this car and learn as much as I can about it. I have some delayed progress/adventure posts that I will have to put up before I'm up-to-date, but I figured it was better to get this exposition of my ownership story done sooner than later.
:beer::grinpimp:
Cheers,
MDK

🤣🤣🤣🤣 you're 21 without much money. This Land Cruiser is going to bleed your pockets dry if they weren't dry enough right now.

Financially, you may have been better off with the 4runner as LC parts are multiple times pricier than a 4runners.

Nice LC but you're going to find out these things arent cheap to run. That $3500 might of just been the down payment towards your ownership.

Welcome.

Last edited:
🤣🤣🤣🤣 you're 21 without much money. This Land Cruiser is going to bleed your pockets dry if they weren't dry enough right now.

Financially, you may have been better off with the 4runner as LC parts are multiple times pricier than a 4runners.

Nice LC but you're going to find out these things are cheap to run. That $3500 might of just been the down payment towards your ownership.

Welcome.

It gets worse when you see my 1985 60 in the driveway next to it!

:doh:

You included politics in your post, which is your first mistake. Congress controls the purse BTW.

2nd, congrats. Time to stock up on tools to save on labor when things need fixing.

Welcome!

You included politics in your post, which is your first mistake. Congress controls the purse BTW.

2nd, congrats. Time to stock up on tools to save on labor when things need fixing.

Welcome!

Didn’t state any opinion on Trump, simply tried to produce information in a light-hearted manner. Not out to offend anyone! 100% respect if you’re for or against him. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

Trying to stock up on tools - Bit by bit. Also have some friends with extensive toolboxes that are willing to help. It makes a difference having good friends!:cheers:

Ah man you stole that cruiser, rust free rear locked cruisers are hard to come by. Forget the sunroof, just leave it shut, it's horrible trying to fix it. What's the deal with the starting issue? Starter contacts? Baseline all the fluids and replace the heater tees, remove the running boards and don't ask us about the kidney thing hanging from the frame rail.

Ah man you stole that cruiser, rust free rear locked cruisers are hard to come by. Forget the sunroof, just leave it shut, it's horrible trying to fix it. What's the deal with the starting issue? Starter contacts? Baseline all the fluids and replace the heater tees, remove the running boards and don't ask us about the kidney thing hanging from the frame rail.

Honestly I think it was just old gas because after I ran a tank full of 91 and some Marvel Mystery Oil it’s cranked up every time. Replacing coolant temp sensor soon to remedy other weird low idle start issue, but it hasn’t let me down once.

Replace the fuel filter as well, and run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the tank. I've never heard of low idle as a result of coolant temp sensor problem, it's usually MAF related or vacuum line leak and fuel delivery/spark problem.

This was a fun read lol. Congratulations on your 100 series.

Start putting money aside now for when you need to do some major services. Don't go out and spend it all on armor stuff right off the bat. There are several items that wear out in this 200k ish time frame that will cost you $500+ in parts alone.

Love seeing other young people like myself hustle to get things they want like this. With that mentality I don't think you'll struggle owning a landcruiser. Welcome

P.S - Nothing is free in life.

Nicely done! And another 60 owner gets a 100!!! I miss my 60 terribly some days, but the convenience and ease of the 100 also has me. One day I will have another 60 that is just a run around toy, not a DD.

Oh and get your credit up and grab a card that is specifically for Cruiser parts, you will need it. Keep OEM where you can and only go aftermarket if absolutely necessary. Just did this with my axles and the difference (AM to OEM) is night and day.

Good dealing. Keep in mind the time and labour you allocated to this (buying, dealing, driving, repairs)... not exactly FREE... more like sweat equity. Sweat equity is good equity. Enjoy your land cruiser, it's a hell of a vehicle.

Nice LC but you're going to find out these things arent cheap to run. That $3500 might of just been the down payment towards your ownership.

Welcome.
He did say that he owned a Disco II at some point. Smart lad.

@MDK congrats, I have a 2nd gen and a 100 series. Only about an hour away from you. @ShenValley100LC isn't too far from you I don't believe.

Reactions: MDK
Translation... "I flipped a 4Runner and sold it for 3x my purchase price. Then I low-balled a guy and got an LC for 1/2 of what he was asking." :flipoff2:

Congrats on your new LC. I bought/sold cars throughout college. It's work too. :cheers:

Congrats @MDK it is definitely a good buy at $3500. Looks like you are no stranger to getting your hands dirty - you will save major $$ (and headaches) working on your own. Best thing is to make it reliable first, modify it later.

Reactions: MDK
Good dealing. Keep in mind the time and labour you allocated to this (buying, dealing, driving, repairs)... not exactly FREE... more like sweat equity. Sweat equity is good equity. Enjoy your land cruiser, it's a hell of a vehicle.
Agreed! Not exactly free, but I thought it’d be a fun prompt for this write up. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom