my frame progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Borrowed my buddy's camera today after we took the broken leaf springs off. One step closer to getting this rust bucket back together.
Maybe tomorrow I'll take some wheelin' pics with the '89.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm going the replacement frame route as I've already done all that welding and it didn't stop the cancer.

what kind of paint did you use? Anything exotic?

First off I coated everything multiple times with TRC rust inhibitor, better work for about $600 5gallon bucket. Then I primed it with an oil based enamel, then two coats of rustoleum hammer finish. It looks alot better than before. I'm gonna keep it from rusting out any more by coating everything with motor oil couple times a year, inside of frame and out.

cruiser_guy said:
I'm glad I'm going the replacement frame route as I've already done all that welding and it didn't stop the cancer.

That sucks :mad: Didn't you try anything to keep it from rusting again? I really think keeping it cleaned out inside combined with the motor oil trick will stop the cancer dead in its tracks.

Hildy said:
First off I coated everything multiple times with TRC rust inhibitor, better work for about $600 5gallon bucket. Then I primed it with an oil based enamel, then two coats of rustoleum hammer finish. It looks alot better than before. I'm gonna keep it from rusting out any more by coating everything with motor oil couple times a year, inside of frame and out.

$600.00 for a 5 gal bucket!!! Is there gold in that paint? For $600 you could have had a clean "new" rust free frame for the West Coast!

just my 2cents!!

Zack

Zack1978 said:
$600.00 for a 5 gal bucket!!! Is there gold in that paint? For $600 you could have had a clean "new" rust free frame for the West Coast!

just my 2cents!!

Zack

Yeah I know. Thank god I didn't buy it. Fringe benefits from my job. Its an acid based product btw. Do a google on texas refinery corps rust inhibitor.
Does that $600 include shipping??? :grinpimp:

Hildy said:
Yeah I know. Thank god I didn't buy it. Fringe benefits from my job. Its an acid based product btw. Do a google on texas refinery corps rust inhibitor.
Does that $600 include shipping??? :grinpimp:

Heck no !!!

$650 for a clean West Coast frame.

$550 for shipping to West Virginia from Los Angeles.

$300 to crate it in 1/4 inch plywood with a 2x4 frame so Forward Air will take the 1100 lbs box !!!

$700 more for time, labor, schlepping expenses and probably a keg or two of beer !!!

My mechanic picked it up last night in Pittsburg and the re-frame project is moving forward.

Cahil

Hildy said:
That sucks :mad: Didn't you try anything to keep it from rusting again? I really think keeping it cleaned out inside combined with the motor oil trick will stop the cancer dead in its tracks.

I tried, believe me I tried. I hope it works for you but once rust starts it doesn't stop, and it starts on the inside of the frame where you can't get to it or see it. Cleaning out and keeping a '60 series frame clean is a major job by itself. I figure a frame with no rust properly protected should last me a long time.

When it lasts forever then maybe more people will start oiling the inside of their frames too. ;)
Seriously tho, if I'm all wrong about this my 89 still has a good frame. Then I'll just combine the 2 if it ever comes to that.
Here's some more pics.
Theres some cancer on the body around the rear wheel wells, I'm fixing that now. I got it up there with a floor jack and the 2 jacks that came with the cruisers. Not sure why that pic turned out horrible, but the body is alot nicer than my '89.
The interior is one of the nicer thing on this Cruiser too. The drivers seat is torn and the headliner needs cleaned, but no cracks or tears anywhere.

Last edited:
Two bent plates had to be used on the rear cross section.

Last edited:
All that coal is on the other side of the Susquehanna. Im not from shamokin. ;)

Hildy said:
All that coal is on the other side of the Susquehanna. Im not from shamokin. ;)

:ban: you can't fool me, i have an aunt that works at the hospital up there and a couple of guys at work are from herdon, and that's coal twp. :flipoff2:

Montour co. here. I've never wheeled in coal, trust me theres none around here. Couple of stone quarries tho. When we built our pond it was just clay and shale deep as we could go with the D4. Do you have any menonite brothers in Washingtonville? :flipoff2: Its kinda like a mini Lancaster. Are you going to Paragon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom