My FJ62 is haunted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Runs great pretty much all of the time, but all in the span of a several weeks these have plagued me:

Had a noisy PS pump, replaced and noise went away.

TPS went south and caused a funky/high idle. Replaced and idle is nice now.

Always seem to run cold so I replaced the thermostat and temp sending unit. Worked well.

Oh, that PS pump noise...well, it wasn't the PS pump at all. My ears were fooled. It was the rather new water pump installed by the PO a couple thousand mile ago. It began to chatter again soon after I did the t-stat and temp sending unit and also began to leak quite a bit. It kind of sounds like the mutant ants from "Them".

NOT looking forward to tearing into that. Hopefully the ghost that lives in my engine bay is off haunting some other mechanical contraption.

I must have rolled across an indian burial site at some point.

Last edited:
I have a long list of demons I have exorcised from my FJ62, and I'm not done yet. I think our rigs are at a point in their lives where there are just a lot of things that are worn out. I'm sure my rig will go another 100,000 miles, but it is going to take some continued maintenance to get there. One thing about it, you only want to replace stuff once. If you use OEM parts, odds are once will be enough.

You have to replace parts when the $ is there. If you wait the cruiser will always break down on a weekend, in the rain ,100 degrees,or on an important event. Fuel pumps,I replace at 150,000 .Water pumps the same,use toyota. ALL hoses 100,000 miles. Most problems I have found over the years have been traced back to vaccum leaks,and the fuel pump, and O2 sensors. I have never in 12 cruisers had bad regulators , cold starts etc.but I did at one time replace good ones. Check your cruisers every weekend for the simple stuff first. The cruiser is far easier to work on than the GTO from college. 2 cents MIke

Runs great pretty much all of the time, but all in the span of a several weeks these have plagued me:

Oh, that PS pump noise...well, it wasn't the PS pump at all. My ears were fooled. It was the rather new water pump installed by the PO a couple thousand mile ago. It began to chatter again soon after I did the t-stat and temp sending unit and also began to leak quite a bit. It kind of sounds like the mutant ants from "Them".

I do like mechanics stethoscopes for tracking these problems down. They do take a bit of practice to use.

I would think that if the water pump is going out then you would also have an increase in engine temp.

It kind of sounds like the mutant ants from "Them".

I can appreciate that.:) With your luck you might as well replace the alternator, along with all belts and hoses, while you're in there doing the water pump. :cheers:

Oh, and just to be sure, this wasn't really a rant or cry session. :) Just a little venting for the poor troubleshooting on my part.

I've already done the alternator, PS pump (obviously) and all vac hoses. Also pulled the throttle body and cleaned it out. The truck runs really nice now.

Tranny rebuild is in the near future, but it is holding well for now.

Now, I just have to get the water pump and R&R it. I agree with you, SLC, use top quality parts and you will be in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom