Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put the Tough Dog return to center unit on today. I was able to adjust the pull out of the truck in a straight line.

This unit really helps keep the truck from following the road over bumps. I like it

I’ll do a full review of it since there isn’t much info out there. Thanks to @TRAIL TAILOR for carrying these hard to find parts!

1759CF9D-D5FB-49B6-A343-04C1B829D0E3.jpeg

6CEC2149-A138-49EF-A6C2-D64ABB823286.jpeg

Interesting bit of kit. Is there additional resistance when turning the wheels with this on? Are they harder to turn?

You notice that the wheel is more firm, but you don’t feel more resistance while turning. The spring does work to return the truck straight more, and the wheel is a little bit more animated if you release in a turn.

It honestly refined the truck quite a bit. It feels good.

I see you have caster shims.. what's your caster at now? that steering stabilizer spring thing looks pretty hokey.

@cruisermatt

it’s a band aid, but until I can get the truck on another set of tires...it’s the best I’ve got. I’m really happy its no longer deciding when to turn on its own.

636E11EB-5594-477D-82E6-454BE97AF740.jpeg

How long are your front shackles? I don’t think you have a tire issue. 1.3/4degrees of caster is very low. That is probably your issue. Are all your steering components in good shape? Is your relay rod adjusted tight?

How long are your front shackles? I don’t think you have a tire issue. 1.3/4degrees of caster is very low. That is probably your issue. Are all your steering components in good shape? Is your relay rod adjusted tight?

OME Front shackles. I don’t know the length.

steering is new. A brand new rebuilt 80 series box, new TRE as well.

The pull only started when I added these tires. Didn’t have it for 35,000 miles with the k02’s

steering is new. A brand new rebuilt 80 series box, new TRE as well.

New =/= tight. Get someone to manhandle the steering wheel while you watch the linkages.
I just replaced a two year old OEM tie rod end on a 60 that was completely loose. The relay rods loosen up and need adjustment as well.

I still don’t like how low your caster is.

The TRE that attaches to the steering damper was worn out after 40,000 miles. So I just redid the whole set.

I know the OME shackles are longer on one end. I almost question I’ve got the shackles on the wrong ends. My rear has a huge rake.

I’ll measure today.

New =/= tight. Get someone to manhandle the steering wheel while you watch the linkages.
I just replaced a two year old OEM tie rod end on a 60 that was completely loose. The relay rods loosen up and need adjustment as well.

I still don’t like how low your caster is.

My front shackles are 5 inches tall and my rears are 5.5 inches tall. gs1 being the rear and gs2 being the fronts

According to OME, that’s correct for my application.

I dont know what else to chase.

7FF0D6CE-B1CC-495E-B38E-706AD89322CB.png

@HemiAlex you must be measuring the total shackle plate, correct? The dimensions @cruiseroutfit posted there are pin-to-pin.

80mm = 3.15”
90mm = 3.54”

I dont know what else to chase.

So you checked your steering linkages for tightness? I don't mean like three months ago, I mean like today. Did you do anything about your 1.4degree caster?

So you checked your steering linkages for tightness? I don't mean like three months ago, I mean like today. Did you do anything about your 1.4degree caster?

The entire system was done with new tie rod ends, linkages and drag link adjusted and box 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I added the shims and did an alignment. The 1.4 caster is with the 4* shims on the truck.

The alignment report is with everything current. can’t change anything else aside from a new series of relay rods (if they are even still out there).

correct. I did overall length.

Were the Toyos on prior to alignment or done at same time? Your toe angle changed like 0.27* on each wheel.

Were the Toyos on prior to alignment or done at same time? Your toe angle changed like 0.27* on each wheel.

Prior to alignment.

It was driveway aligned to get me to the shop.

All of these pulls started with the Toyos. That’s the annoying part.

20,000 miles on a 555 part and its dead. @orangefj45 for the save....sending me the parts to fix this and I'm going to try a 4* caster shim up front to see if I can finally put the front end of this race tractor to bed. A TRE inspection is now going to be a part of my oil change routine with chassis lubrication.
The TRE that attaches to the steering damper was worn out after 40,000 miles. So I just redid the whole set.

Dude. Quit dodging the question and go out and actually look at your steering components. With your eyes. While someone else steers the wheel. The relay rods loosen up all the time, because the design sucks. I have seen it on probably a dozen 60's in the past year. I dealt with one last week, not a relay rod but a bad TRE. That was something like two years old. It happens. Tires don't cause pulling. Steering and suspension geometery do.

I went back and skimmed through the past few months of this thread. Was it 20k or 40k? That's a pretty big discrepancy. Your posts about the Toyo's seemed pretty positive when you first got them.

The other thing I would check, that’s free and takes minimal effort, is make sure you don’t have a dragging brake caliper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom