Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My rear pinion bearing gave out. The truck is grounded til I get the extra 3.70 open into it.

I've also got 4.11 spares now. I'm undecided as to when I'll put those in. Likely just do it for SAS or get a new 3:1 split case built. Still undecided.

It’s back up with a lower mileage 3.70 now. Running great and way quieter than before.

I may have a new surprise coming down this weekend that will only add to the patina of the truck. I can’t wait.

Added a used kaymar bumper from 1996. Super happy with the build and look of it. Fits the theme perfectly. Thanks to @DickM for working with me.

Also, cleaned it out. And removed the rear heater. Because Texas.

2ED4BC6D-6472-4B9E-B8E0-D849455B0594.jpeg

3176B40F-C6C5-4DAD-8A9A-D649C8113494.jpeg

0D3355FC-CBC5-4E24-9AA9-A1DA1D3B2B7A.jpeg

Looks just right on your truck, Alex. Glad it went to a good home.

I was originally a bit upset about installing this bumper. It really made the cs005 springs ride like hell. After a week, the suspension has settled and it got accustomed to them and I don’t feel it back there. Plus it got rid of a bit of the rake. It sits level now.

I’m really happy with this bumper choice now that it’s settled.

I’ve noticed something since the gear swap to a newer 3.70...

My mileage per tank has gone up about 25 miles per tank. The last two tanks have average about 250 in mixed city driving.

I’ve gone from about 10.9 to 12.5 mpg.

On a long highway trip at constant speed, I’ve touched high 14mpg easily. I’m wondering if I can do better now that the center chunk isn’t eating itself.

It’s amazing how eliminating the parasitic drag has yielded gains little by little. Also, he gear noise and humming has gone down and I didn’t notice how loud the truck was.

Dead silent now.

I’ve gotta ask because I’ve gotta ask. Has the brand of fuel stayed the same?

I only ask this because I heard some malarkey recently that they change the formulation of fuel during the winter months up here in Illinois. Wonder if they do that in Texas, if it’s even true.

Of course something as minor as intake temperature could effect the atomization of fuel and air mixture into the engine. :geek:

I’ve been running the same costco/Exxon and Buccees 93.

I’ve got my timing turned way up and I didn’t set it with a digital timing light. It’s outside the window and probably about 15 Initial. It runs great and it’s been that way since it came down from Colorado in September. Doesn’t run great on 87-89 and I can feel the detonation.

It just hit summer temps and we had our first day above 90 in 177 days! I’ve head that winter fuel changes but as you know, our winter is basically a spring elsewhere.

It really likes NEG 92 but at 3.60 a gallon, I don’t do that very often right now.

BD7481FA-1132-4B65-9DBE-26A017C6BAE3.jpeg

The 60 has been getting a rest for two weeks. I’ve been driving this TDI wagon since I commute 40 miles a day and she’s been in the cruiser since she works 3 blocks from the house.

I find it hard to trust a new car. I’m constantly worried about it breaking. I never know when the doors are going to lock etc.

I’m trying to test this one out for her. We had electrical issues from a leaky grommet, a few transmission issues that were fixed and just general squeaks and rattles that come from every piece of plastic breaking constantly on it.

But it’s comfy and gets 42mpg, so I’m saving money by driving the 60 less.

It won’t last long. I’m getting bored with this and i need the racetractor back in my life. The 60 is still the most reliable vehicle I own.

99D4FE6D-684C-4B10-AA34-7CCDA87346FD.jpeg

After not driving the truck for a few weeks it got mad at me. It developed a stumble off idle and I wanted to blame the intake manifold possibly having cracked.

it wasn't the case. With this 1991 vintage recalled fuel tank, it seems to have gotten a bit gunky and I've got fine particulate getting into my carb. I cleaned it out as best I could with a few cans of carb cleaner and it fixed most of my issues.

I've got a secondary post pump filter to go in soon and I need to decide what I'm going to do about a tank.

Restore it locally, $600 for a new oem tank or $1600 for a 40 gallon LRA tank.

First off, I'm going to drain and filter what I've got a few times. Maybe I can knock out most of the contamination that way.

I installed the aftermarket city racer window weather stripping.

The piece was seriously hard and was not allowing my front windows to seal, letting water and wind noise in.

I’d call it a half banana job that really helped improve the civility of the truck. I’ll start doing all the door weather stripping from him now.

I’m really happy with the products and roger will get more of my money!

9E3C21A2-9BA4-419A-A5A0-83274E178568.png

Not much progress recently. Playing around with carb tuning and driving the truck a lot less. I need to get a spare carb send off to JimC soon.

I just ended up finally locking down my Jerry can with a abus sheathed security Chain and a hitch lock. Nice and secure, and I’ll end up leaving some NEG 93 in there for a rainy day.

I’m ready to shop for a set of sliders before SAS. I can’t dent the rust.

5A7E4B9B-6CA4-4809-B4DF-89BF70550FD8.jpeg

CC76F343-8143-4DAF-B442-6A622416814F.jpeg

Small updates:

I purchased both an LM7 5.3 and another 60 series 2F. Don't know what direction I'm going right now with either.

I'm adding a 3FE alternator this week, and getting my seat cushions redone. I'm going to try and put the 4.11's in at the end of the month, but its not needed to run solid axle summit. The truck is ready to roll on that trip pretty much.

Oh, and I also picked up a really minty recall replacement 60 series gas tank. Only 7 years old. I’m going to replace what I’ve got and run some new rubber lines. While it’s out I’m going to grind my flakey frame reinforcement back and mount my 62 series sway bar and brackets to the truck with the extended end links from @cruiseroutfit

I’m really excited to see if that takes the sway down a bunch.

One step forward, two back.

-ground my flakey frame reinforcement for the Fj62 rear sway bar. But i lost one of the brackets. I have no idea where it went. Searching for another one or two.

-installed the low mileage fuel tank that’s much newer and replaced all the feed and vapor lines under the truck.

I don’t think the tank was ever the problem. I’m thinking that the lines are just flakey. I replaced the fuel filter and put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it. I instantly saw a rust flake in the clear fuel filter. I’m going to run new aeroquip aqp line left over from my hot rod and see if the filter stays clean.

-the best part of today had to be the SOR seat cushions. They’re amazing. I found a local place that cleaned the covers replaced the vinyl and installed the new seat foams on the bottom as well as add some light cushion to the back rest.

The seats look puffier and are supportive now. It literally raised me up 3” and now even my 5’8” self is closer to the headliner than expected.

I can’t wait to not have my leg go numb on a trip.

The seat cushions are chasing the h55f for the best upgrade to the truck. No joke.

I missed out on sas #3.

I’m currently out here in CO with wife and dog trying to make up for that. Headed towards ouray and telluride in the next day.

C8B6E607-1EF8-4802-94EB-33B34FF14AB3.jpeg

8F49A7F1-1940-4482-A6A0-738A711DE7A9.jpeg

1C3A8007-F992-4412-BF57-B3011D02FBFA.jpeg

I missed out on sas #3.

I’m currently out here in CO with wife and dog trying to make up for that. Headed towards ouray and telluride in the next day.

View attachment 2063275

View attachment 2063278

View attachment 2063279
I have a Soulcraft Brewing T-shirt I ordered with a 60 on it. Beautiful area up there. Uncle has a cabin in Pagosa Springs and we have gone up there many times and taken the train up from Durango...if you have never done that DO IT. It is something you will never forget. I have yet to take the 60 further than Crocket to go hog hunting. Be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom