Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
Trying to catalog the pending battle I've got coming along with this truck. Lots of overdue maintenance coming up, but overall a really good starting point for what I want out of a 4wd.

Starting off with the 31.5" FTG on the rear suspension, we've got some serious work to do on getting it caught up. Rear springs are beyond flat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453078976.285576.jpg

Also, it's got a cracked #5 exhaust valve. I'm getting ready to pull the cylinder head and do all new OEM valves and springs, along with a top end gasket kit.

So far all I've done is install a proper choke cable and change fluids. 279,000 miles and going strong. I've put 1200 miles on since November.

List of work to be done.

1. Fix the head situation, get it running on 6 cylinders again.

2. Adjust valves

3. Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and secondary diaphragm

4.Refresh the brakes. OEM master cylinder, Mintex/sumitumo front pads, longer stainless lines

5. Install new OEM space and master on clutch + clutch line.

6. Marlin crawler seals and front axle refresh, plus front tie rod ends.

7.Raise the truck and install fresh leaf spring bushings. Possibly an OME kit.

8. Install 33x10.5-15 BFG Ko2 on stock wheels.

9. Replace gaping hole in dash with a stereo and some 5.25" coaxials to overcome the road noise.

10. Drive it until something breaks or makes noise.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453079955.903432.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
So far I don't have much to report. Changed differential fluid and added the new drain/fill plugs all around.

Just called Kurt and ordered 555 Tie Rod ends and a knuckle rebuild kit with wheel bearings and marlin seals to line out the front end when I do brakes.

I'm also going to do a cylinder head refresh once my valve springs arrive from Beno. Lets see how it runs on 6 cylinders!

Very nice... Don't forget to do the galley plug fix while you have the head off... Oh and chase all the head bolt holes while you have it off. Makes things SO MUCH EASIER (PM me about).

Since you are doing the knuckles get yourself LOTS of shop towels and a seal puller (HF one does fine) so you can get those axle seals out.

#4:
When replacing the brake lines, don't replace the front hoses leading to each caliper with stainless steel shorties if you're still using the dust shields. Use Toyota hoses.

When the wheel turns back and forth, it twists the hose, back and forth. The rubber hoses can twist easily, the stainless steel don't. They can work loose. Don't use them.

I bought the dust shield eliminators. I was planning on using braided hoses.

I also added the 33x10.5's today. Doesn't rub on beat to hell suspension and improved the ride a ton over the michelins. I've also noticed that the steering went to crap as soon as I mounted these. The tie rod ends are done for sure now. I ordered oem stuff from Kurt and it can't come soon enough. That's a priority now, the truck is going to stay parked until then. The steering clunk is louder than ever.

image.jpeg

I already know leaf spring bushings are done for in a few places. Time to refresh the whole thing. Once the steering is better, I'll feel a lot safer.

7.Raise the truck and install fresh leaf spring bushings. Possibly an OME kit.

8. Install 33x10.5-15 BFG Ko2 on stock wheels.

For #7. I haven't used any of their suspension products yet, but I would reccomend checking our SOR and what they offer.
For #8. I have a 1983 FJ60, and I wanted bigger tires, but when I went to the tire store they told me I could go no bigger than I 30 or 31 inches, so I would double check that the 33 inch tires fit your car.

Best of luck to you! :D

I just swapped a few things today-

front and rear differential fluid with factory Allen heads

OEM Cap, rotor and wires.

The front differential fluid looked terrible. Front on top and rear on bottom.

Is the fluid old or is that birfield grease mixed in ?

image.jpeg

For #7. I haven't used any of their suspension products yet, but I would reccomend checking our SOR and what they offer.
For #8. I have a 1983 FJ60, and I wanted bigger tires, but when I went to the tire store they told me I could go no bigger than I 30 or 31 inches, so I would double check that the 33 inch tires fit your car.

Best of luck to you! :D

They're already on. I've seen a few people here give reviews on this exact set up. Works fine.

At least you had something sloshing around in the front axle. Just checked mine last night and it was pretty close to empty.

Eric

It came out like the consistency of really thin wet cement. Certainly didn't look properly. I'll check and extend the breathers next.

Yeah I have a feeling your in line for a knuckle rebuild as the axle grease SHOULD NOT look like that. 80w90 grease is what is used throughout the vehicle and it is definitely thick and gooey. I would get some new stuff in there ASAP as well as check your t-case and tranny.

New oil is in both axles, knuckle rebuild kit just arrived today along with tie rod ends, picked up a hub rebuild kit from @mk4leo and I'll throw new rotors and pads on the truck when I do the front axle.

Also I've got Mobil delvac 50w on the way from zoro tools for the transmission and transfer case.

Shiiieettt. It will be brand new.

If you are going as deep as replacing the rotors you might as well grab some new lugs for your wheels as well. If I remember correctly they weren't overly expensive when I did mine and it is just nice to know that you don't have to worry about goobered up threads or anything from the PO let alone the guys trying to press out the old and press them back in again.

Oh and info on the HUB rebuild kit? @mk4leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom