Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Rockymtnreaper That's what I've noticed. Anything that isn't available instantly or exceptionally easy to put back on is left off or on-

Choke cable- wasn't on the truck when I bought it but someone really tried to make a lawnmower cable work. It didn't. First thing I replaced it and parts of the clamp that hold it down were gone.

distrubutor boot- gone when I bought it just bought one in good shape a few weeks ago

Secondary stubby lower radiator hose- someone replaced all of the radiator hoses. Except that one. I also didn't know it was there, so I neglected to replace it with the top end refresh. It sprung a leak and redid them all..again. Oil cooler too. Used factory clamps throughout.

Alternator-self explanatory.

Battery-two sizes too small. A piece of wood underneath and some duct tape around the clamp was easier than just getting the right battery.

Also added this yesterday. Bought it months ago and was lazy. Made mounting insulators from some gasket material and wrapped it in paracord because it was a really perfect bar from @landcruiserjunky and I wanted to keep it that way. A few panhead stainless bolts and voila.

IMG_1334.JPG

Trollhole carb will be here this Thursday!

I'm excited to use my external tach by actron to set my idle speeds and I need to pick up a vacuuum gauge for the idle screw.

Any good diy for the basics of setting this carb for the first time?

Nice... you will have to post up how thing go! Still one of the items that is on my list for possible improvements.

Why did you wrap the entire "oh sh!t" bar? Looks kinda funky and out of place?

It's just corded on paracord. Comes off in a minute.

Mostly so I can avoid another hard surface to bang a knee on. Also because I saw all the things @klinetime574 wrapped up and I got jealous.

One step forward, two steps back.

Good things that happened today:

Grounded my carb fan and it works. Found the green wire sitting all burnt out and rigid. Feels good to have one more thing working like it should.

Changed my fuel filter (before swapping carbs)

Installed my trollhole carb.

This is where things get agitating. I sat the carbs side by side, swapped the AC idle up onto the new carb and familiarized myself with it. Much simpler. I felt confidence coming..

Wired up the fuel cut solenoid, and got it to low idle. At that point I started to mess with the mixture and screws.

I got it down to an 750 idle, but it stumbles badly off idle and doesn't feel anything like the aisin that came off. I need to look for any vacuum leaks and possibly improperly installed aspects of this carb.

It drives fine above 2000rpm but not like it should.

To be continued.

Just a small update:

I'm chasing a small temperature spike. Only when cruising on the highway and only for a few seconds. Seems like air in the system. I'm going to keep driving/burping it and topping it off til it goes away. Also have a new thermostat on the way, but it will be a few weeks til I can get to it. Then I get to start the burping process all over again!

On the way up here I averaged 16mpg @65 corrected for speedo error so the trollhole carb is working. It amazed me and did 160 to a half tank of fuel.

I was unable to bump the timing up. Seems that my distributor o ring is original and it moving. So I've got the right part coming now and when I'm back in town I'll adjust it back out.

I'm really most excited about finding ethanol free gas. I filled up wth 89 and I'll see how much the truck likes it. The owner of that station had this 160k 62 that he swore woke the truck up. It wasn't cheap at $3.19 a gallon at least it's real gas!

IMG_1626.JPG

View attachment 1362717

Nice dude!!!! Thinking of grabbing a Trollhole this next summer when I have the ability to have the truck down for a few days. Wish we could have ethanol free stuff around here but that is a no go.
I filled up before we went Xmas tree hunting this weekend to our normal place which is about 2hrs away through the mountains (going from 4500' to over 9k' and then back down to about the same). Lots of ups and downs but truck was unweighted other than two adults, a 9' tall cedar and some random blankets, small cooler with food/drink and that's it. So far I turned over 199 miles on the ODO this morning and still have about an 1/8th tank left or so. Waiting to fill up on it to see what my mileage will be but I am expecting 15-16mpg which is awesome through the mountains.

I have to say, the trollhole doesn't do what the Aisin does. It's not as smart but it does the job. It's a bit unhappier when warming up but once at temp it runs like a champ.

I'm still rebuilding my aisin with Jim soon.

Just a small update:

I'm chasing a small temperature spike. Only when cruising on the highway and only for a few seconds. Seems like air in the system. I'm going to keep driving/burping it and topping it off til it goes away. Also have a new thermostat on the way, but it will be a few weeks til I can get to it. Then I get to start the burping process all over again.

Temp Sending Unit?

Im driving the hell out of this thing!

Left Houston on Monday and drove 4 hours east to Baton Rouge. The truck was happy but very slow and vibrated badly above 55. I really needed to get the car on the road for it to expose faults and see what needed attention. Here's what I've done this week:

-Had the tires rebalanced. They were off badly. Must have thrown a weight or two. I can now cruise at 70 without any vibration at all. I was comfort limited to 55 on the first trip.

-reinstalled the stereo. I had a terrible job done at another place in houston. Radio lost a wire in the back and stopped working months ago. Didn't bother me much but I threw it in the back of the truck along with a set of 6.5" speakers thinking I could fix them all in the hotel parking lot one night. Finally got some free time and a took it to a pro audio shop in Baton Rouge to get the stereo installed by a pro. Removed the factory grilles on the doors and put the 6.5's in along with a great fitting head unit install. I'm very happy now and I'm not as focused on the little road noises and weather stripping howling. higher end Kenwood HU and a set of Rockford Prime speakers. I've got a mini amp at home waiting for these at 45w rms. It will be great.

-replaced the 1 year old Costco Goodyear wiper blades with Bosch Icons. Huge improvement so far and helps with the light showers the south has been having.

I can say that the single best thing I've done is the Ethanol free gas. The truck loves it and it's a huge shame that Houston being the energy capital of the world doesn't have any stations that sell it.

Some pictures along the way....

Met a guy with that SOA pickup who pulled into an auto parts store. We chatted and he was chasing a clunk. His DS knuckle on the birfield housing was loose and there was a .250" space between the housing and the upper knuckle pin! Needless to say, he was very thankful I spotted it...

More of my instagram posts of Landcruiser and hotrod stuff...

Alexandros Panagiotakopoulos (@hemialex) • Instagram photos and videos

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

Latest update. Made my 1200 mile round trip with ease. The truck ran like a top.

First day back I broke my rear shock crossmember on the way home from work. A little noise but made it home fine.

So today I cut the old one out. I tried to use an angle grinder but I only got so far. I had to invest in a quality sawzall that made short work of it all. I ground the old welds as flat as I could where it passes through the frame.

I also cleaned up the areas around the hole as much as I could to prep for welding.

I'm building something like the final picture to replace the old thin tubing. 2x2 .180 wall tubing with plates on either end and fabricated perches for the shock studs. I found Pro comp 5/8" studs from 4 wheel parts to replace the factory pieces.

I'm not even upset aside from not being able to drive it. I'm glad it happened like this instead of after the lift kit. Tripling the spring rate and adding stiffer shocks would have been much worse when it broke. I was going to do another 500 mile trip for Christmas with my lady in the truck. I'm glad we had this happen before and parked the truck instead of having it clunk the entire way.

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

Crossmember is in and the truck is happy again.

It feels far more controlled now that the shocks are working...imagine that....

Full pics and a DIY to come.

I actually grabbed the door the other day around a fast corner. Just a little bit of lean going on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom