Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are you going to attach the brake line to then?

Braided brake lines that go directly from the tab on the axle with a clip to the caliper.

Eliminates the hardline and hose combination.

Braided brake lines that go directly from the tab on the axle with a clip to the caliper.

Eliminates the hardline and hose combination.
Alright dude you got to post up the part numbers for that. That has always been my gripe about these dustshields. Was going to do the eliminators when I did mine a few years ago and never did.

I had to stop working on the truck for two days. I've come home smelling like birfield soup several days in a row.

But I did get this...

IMG_0467.JPG

nice find on the bumper. I just read through this thread and alway was wondering about the backing plate eliminators. Did you use the ones from marlin crawler with the longer brake lines.
Backing Plate Eliminator | Marlin Crawler, Inc.
like these?

I bought trail gear units from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/TRAIL-GEAR-B...7753&sr=8-1&keywords=trail+gear+backing+plate

The lines were puchased BNIB on here from another member, but they were originally from MAF.

Even if I used a factory backing plate I could very easily trim the plate to take out the hardline and rubber combo line. I don't feel that the brand of braided lines will change fit at all because of that fact.

In a month, I'll be coming up on one year of owning this truck...

Here is what I've accomplished.

Trying to catalog the pending battle I've got coming along with this truck. Lots of overdue maintenance coming up, but overall a really good starting point for what I want out of a 4wd.

Starting off with the 31.5" FTG on the rear suspension, we've got some serious work to do on getting it caught up. Rear springs are beyond flat. View attachment 1193116

Also, it's got a cracked #5 exhaust valve. I'm getting ready to pull the cylinder head and do all new OEM valves and springs, along with a top end gasket kit.

So far all I've done is install a proper choke cable and change fluids. 279,000 miles and going strong. I've put 1200 miles on since November.

List of work to be done.

1. Fix the head situation, get it running on 6 cylinders again.

2. Adjust valves

3. Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and secondary diaphragm

4.Refresh the brakes. OEM master cylinder, Mintex/sumitumo front pads, longer stainless lines

5. Install new OEM space and master on clutch + clutch line.

6. Marlin crawler seals and front axle refresh, plus front tie rod ends.

7.Raise the truck and install fresh leaf spring bushings. Possibly an OME kit.

8. Install 33x10.5-15 BFG Ko2 on stock wheels.

9. Replace gaping hole in dash with a stereo and some 5.25" coaxials to overcome the road noise.

10. Drive it until something breaks or makes noise.

Basically its rolling into cosmetic stuff now that the mechanical things are perfect again.

Lift it on OME suspension and add my front and rear bumpers....

Those will be some fun upgrades. Did you ever mock up the A-Pillar gauge pod?

Hey, I haven't forgotten. I'm just so completely covered in crud everytime I work on the axle stuff that I don't bother getting inside.

The good news is this: I'm ready to put it back on the ground and drive it. I need to install the cotter key and torque the third arm down, install the wheels and torque them and were done.

I'm really glad that the brakes are all fresh. I had fluid leaking from one of the calipers, the back of the master cylinder, the caliper hoses were dry rotted/cracked, pads were at about 1/8 of original thicknes and rotors were grooved. I bled them out last night with the help of the :princess: and so far it looks good.

Test drive to come this afternoon.

IMG_0724.JPG

After some down time, it's back up and running. No funny noises and it drives great. It even locked the brakes easily but I'm going to go ahead and re bleed the brakes anyway and replace the two frame hoses shortly.

I missed driving it for sure. Now I can move onto some clean jobs like the gauge install and stereo work.

I had enough time to throw on the bumper today and the hella lights will go on this week along with the turn signals getting wired in.

IMG_0739.JPG

I also flushed the front differential. The birfield soup was terrible and I was getting a lot of clumpy goodness coming out. I had changed it when I bought the truck and I never once thought that it had gear oil that looked like cement for any reason other than it was just old.

Nice work. Love that old style ARB on your rig!

Yup, love the older style ARB, not so keen on the newer one. Looks like your friends are "enjoying" the ride so very much. So what is next on the agenda for her?

Thats the :princess: and her brother. Everyone looks forward to riding in it.

It made it to work nicely. The random front end play and humming that it had at speed is now gone. It had to be the axle bearings or knuckle bearings. It was very smooth and comfy. OME steering stabilizer and knuckle rebuild have the best two things I've done so far.

The brakes are wayyyy more progressive now, but I think my rear wheel cylinders are in need of attention. It locked the brakes on a sudden stop at about 3/4 pedal travel. Controllable because I'm used to no ABS but not idea. The fluid was very rusty that came out. I'm going to buy Advics rear wheel cylinders and a set of braided frame to axle lines, and that will be the next major piece of work.

Tonight I'm wiring the turn signals and Hella's. Then later this week I'm going to re-wire my stereo and mini AMP. Then gauges in the pillar pod. Thinking of VDO vision for those.

After that, I'm going to start focusing on the lift. OME CS005 all around with the aussie greaseable shackles I bought a while back. I'll flex it out without the shocks at work on our forklift, and then order the Bilstein 5100's that I've got notes on.

I'm trying to take it on its first long trip to visit the in laws in CenTex in a few weeks. I think it's ALMOST ready...:deadhorse:

image1 (1).JPG

Why not just buy the OME shocks to go with the springs and shackles? No measuring required. Been satisfied with mine for going on 9 years now.

I'm partial to Bilstein and since I plan on doing a lot of long highway trips for work with it, I wanted comfort over capability.

I need to ride in your truck or Leo's to see if I like the ride, maybe I'll change my mind.

I cheat the system and only run 25 or 30 pounds of pressure in my tires. Lexus smooth I tell you (on smooth flat pavement).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom